Best Sequel of All-Time

Tools    

Alright, I'm expecting a lot of "Godfather, Part II" answers, but I admit I've yet to see that series. As such, my vote is going for Toy Story 2 - and yes, I'm serious.

It doesn't have to be a classic film or Best Picture nominee - but the second more than lived up to the first. I was laughing half the movie - it was everything I'd heard it would be.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to vote for Empire Strikes Back as the best sequel.

I really liked Toy Story 2, as well, though. I watched it again over the Thanksgiving weekend with my kids, and it was still just as funny and entertaining after the fifth or sixth time (I can't remember exactly how many times I've seen it)

I guess that I would also vote for The Empire Strikes Back as the best sequel. Although I did like Back To The Future Part 2. I've never seen Aliens, but I've heard that it is a good movie.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Ok...I thought I had already replied to this, but I guess I just imagined that...oh well. I think Terminator 2 is the best sequel. It just had everything the first movie didn't.

I'd say the best is Godfather Part II, then The Empire Strikes Back, then Toy Story 2.

TWTCommish, you will either love or hate the Godfather series but it's a must see if you are a cinephile.

The 3rd wasn't on par with the first 2 but it's still the closing of the trilogy.

Cheers!

I agree with flywaver. Godfather 2 was great than they went downhill.

you all are gonna kill me, but i've never watched godfather!!!!!! I've had godfathers pizza, but dats about as close as i've come to the movie. Is it R rated? if so that's probably why i havn't seen it.

I liked toy story 2, but i didn't like the plot a whole lot (dang, The Grinch, now i'm bashing on the TS2 plot!) I liked the old star wars sequels. Those get my votes.

anyways.......... -Brian

I'm thinking Grease 2. No wait - A Very Brady Sequel. LOL!

I didn't think any of the Star Wars movies were that hot.

Without much thought, I'd probably go with Godfather 2.

I also liked the Lethal Weapon 2 and Beverly Hills Cop II, but they don't rank as great, just entertaining.

I loved Toy Story 2 although it's completely different than Godfather.

Godfather Part 2 is probably the most important sequence in the trilogy due to...oh! well, you have to see it!

Seriously, the trilogy might be extremely long but it is just awesome.

Cheers!

I would also go with Godfather II. So many movie sequels have been so bad (remember Sally Field in "Return to the Poseidon Adventure"??? uggh!!!)

I'd love to follow-up on some movies - - but even the "Batman" series went "down hill" as they went along.
And I can't believe that a sequel to "Flintsones" was ever made... the original was pretty bad as it stands.

I did like most of the "Superman" series ... they were not really sequels as much as they were new stories with familiar characters.

But, still... sometimes a movie leaves you wondering... like "Shawshank Redemption" .... it was a great movie, made me care about the characters, and I still wonder how Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman did in the long-run. Oh well, that's just part of the fun of films I guess....

I agree on the Batman...I only liked the "original" of 1989...then it went downhill.

Cheers!

See, I found the sequel to The Flintstones to be a superior movie. I actually even kind of enjoyed Viva Rock Vegas. But I have low standards. (And I have kids. I wouldn't have seen the movie had I not taken my kids.)

MovieForums Extra
[red]SPOLIERS BELOW![/red]
Well, it's generally accepted that sequels are almost ALWAYS crap compared to the original...it's like a VHS tape, the more you make copies of copies, the worse the quality gets Of course there are always exceptions.

For me, Godfather II absolutely takes the cake as the best sequel, but the third one is right up there with the first two...I mean, come on guys, Michael redeems himself in the end, and ends up paying for all his sins with the life of his daughter (I'm sorry for giving it away for all of you who haven't seen it). Don't you think that's kinda the ultimate price to pay?? I actually found myself empathisizing with Michael's character a lot in the end...the way Connie takes over in the end when she gets the power, and the tradition of the Godfathers continues with Vincenzo...
It's an ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS sequel, as good as the other two!!

Appart from that, I also liked Terminator 2, although when you think about it it doesn't really make any sense at all, but what the hell, that's all part of it! Psycho II is also as good as the first, though I doubt the other sequels are anywhere as near...

That's it (finally)!
[Edited by TWTCommish on 12-30-2000]

Terminator 2 is the best I've seen - Toy Story 2 in a close second.

I had to edit your post to give others a spoiler notice - this is common practice, just so you know. The movie was partially spoiled for me. Nothing too big, I hope.

MovieForums Extra

Sorry Commish, I wasn't aware that that was the standard practice (that's why I included the little apology note). I didn't give away too much, by the time you get through the trilogy to the last scene, it won't really matter anyway, I guarantee you'll love it!!

Cheers!

No problem - things like that happen now and then (a person I know from real life totally spoiled "The Sixth Sense" for me...), just gotta live with it - doesn't sound like a big spoiler anyway.

Escape from the POTA...hands down.

Okay, I will vote for Aliens then Toy Story 2.
I saw the Godfather movies but I was too young back then and wasn't into movies like I am now.
I liked the Flinstones sequel, I thought it was better than the original.
Toy Story 2 got me teary eyed when she was singing about how her little girl grew up and didn't play with her anymore. Waaa . :bawl:

Didn't see it.
Hannibal was good, but since it was really the third part of a trilogy, I'm going with Silence of the Lambs. It was an unbelievable followup to Manhunter which was good in it's own right.

I think Silence of the Lambs is one of the best movies of all time, so the fact that it is a sequel makes it one of the best sequels of all time.