Jaws vs. Alien
54.00%
27 votes
Jaws
46.00%
23 votes
Alien
50 votes. You may not vote on this poll

True on your last point- Spielberg films tend to have that "movie magic" about it that grabs general audiences more than just sheer technical brilliance does. His exception to that is Saving Private Ryan, which is done in such a raw and detailed fashion that I was simply blown away purely by the technical aspects.
Agree with you too. SPR also is my favorite Spielberg's movie for the same reasons.

Yea it would have been terrifying for him. That’s cool Dani I’d like to do that one day too (swim with sharks).
Would you like to be in the pressence of the alien from Alien though? I rest my case.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yea it would have been terrifying for him. That’s cool Dani I’d like to do that one day too (swim with sharks).
Would like to be in the pressence of the alien from Alien though? I rest my case.
No, but i dont believe they exist. The first 2movies made me scream, and i did not scream in Jaws. I dont believe rogue sharks that stalk humans exist, though. The ocean is their environment so i leave them i peace.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Would like to be in the pressence of the alien from Alien though? I rest my case.
I’m glad you’re finally resting your case. Your arguments have been very poor.

No, but i dont believe they exist. The first 2movies made me scream, and i did not scream in Jaws. I dont believe rogue sharks that stalk humans exist, though. The ocean is their environment so i leave them i peace.
We're talking about which movie is more frightening. He's been arguing that Jaws is scarier, but he's willing to swim with a shark. I think that supports my argument that Alien is scarier because no one would be willing to be with the Alien. Larry may not want to acknowledge that point so perhaps that's why he made some remark he probably thinks is witty instead of adressing my point. The point is, if they both existed which would you rather encounter. I think more would prefer the shark since it's easy to survive.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
We're talking about which movie is more frightening. He's been arguing that Jaws is scarier, but he's willing to swim with a shark. I think that supports my argument that Alien is scarier because no one would be willing to be with the Alien. Larry may not want to acknowledge that point so perhaps that's why he made some remark he probably thinks is witty instead of adressing my point. The point is, if they both existed which would you rather encounter. I think more would prefer the shark since it's easy to survive.
Is that what I’m arguing? I initially said jaws had a more tangible fear effect on me especially when I’m at the beach whereas I don’t often find myself in space enough to be effected in the same way by the fictional alien. Sounds like you’re lost in your own nonsense as nonsense as you dismissing the fear factor of a shark.

For me Alien is better, because of the atmosphere and the creatures of Giger

Is that what I’m arguing? I initially said jaws had a more tangible fear effect on me especially when I’m at the beach whereas I don’t often find myself in space enough to be effected in the same way by the fictional alien. Sounds like you’re lost in your own nonsense as nonsense as you dismissing the fear factor of a shark.
Yes, I am lost in my nonsense. I have no idea what you've been talking about this entire time. I've been very frustrated by my inability to understand people, and other people's inability to understand me. I have been trying to be honest though, and honest not only with others but also with myself. I thought you were arguing this whole time that Jaws was scarier than Alien and that sharks are scarier than aliens. I wish you'd be frank with me instead of acting like what you're getting at should be honest and I'm stupid for not reading your mind. I don't know what you mean exactly when you say, "...you dismissing the fear factor of a shark." We've argued and disagreed about how scary sharks are, especially compared to aliens and the unknown. You seem to think sharks are scarier than I do. But it really doesn't help when you assume that you're right and I'm wrong. It's a barrier in the debate. It's perfectly acceptable to believe you're right, but you don't know that you are. It remains to be determined, and that is the point of the debate. Even if you're right, you're not right about everything. But if you aren't willing to consider that you could be wrong then I'm done talking to you. You keep trying to reel me back in, and I'm starting to suspect that you're just a troll. This may sound like ad hominem, but it's all hypothetical, and I want to know if it's true. Dismissing what I'm saying just because you think I'm committing a logical fallacy (again, hypothetical, not saying that's what you're doing) is in and of itself a meta-fallacy.

I'm hesitant to even talk to you at all because you admittedly explicitly ridiculed me, and frequently insult my intelligence. The back and forth with you hasn't gone anywhere productive, and you've literally told me to shut up twice while still continuing yourself (which I find hypocritical).

So what's the deal? Do you want to have a mutually respectful healthy debate that's productive so we can all learn and grow? If so, then we need to remove the barriers, if not then farewell and have a nice life.

Alien. I’m partial to space stories... there’s something about characters in deep space, enclosed in a tin can (miss you, Starman) that feels simultaneously life-threatening and life-affirming. We’re not supposed to be here but look at these people making it seem ordinary. That gets to me in a deep way. I also credit the look and sound of the original Alien, and I instantly empathized with the cast. Sure, Ripley is the focus, but somehow no one in that movie felt like an extra, like an expendable.

Deep ocean has similar appeal to me... but the intertidal zone? My brain says to me: “you can literally walk away from here,” and then it loses its punch.

Both great movies, anyway.