Politically Correct IDIOTS (Steve Martin/Carrie Fisher tweet)

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
No road, it just seemed yall were put off by the point.

Cant people talk plainly to the masses? Right now, no. The masses would like to believe itself wise beyond its years because theyve the super information highway at their fingertips, but bad judgement isnt something some website can undo.
Well, it is an off-putting point. This was a thing that seemed cut-and-dry - a singular instance of outrage culture overreacting to a decidedly innocuous tweet - and you've turned that into the latest in a long line of debates over PC culture (like we haven't had enough of that from the likes of DAnconia). I might have been willing to agree with your original point, but you've gone and turned it into something bigger than it really needed to be and that's why we're getting stuck into these arguments.

Because if we dont get thick skin we start going off on people that dont deserve it. Yes Im complaining about the complainers, but we need to get smarter rather than louder.
Again, this strikes me as something that cuts both ways, and if you're serious about being smarter rather than louder then something's got to give. I still remember that Halloween costume thread DAnconia started where he quoted articles to further his anti-PC agenda even though those very articles were better at arguing against his point rather than for it - a prime example of louder over smarter. Mindless outrage culture doesn't just come in left-wing SJW form.

The W stands for Wrong. No I'm just kidding, I thought the term was Social Justice Warrior.
Which explains why you wrote "SJW warriors".

Well, it is an off-putting point. This was a thing that seemed cut-and-dry - a singular instance of outrage culture overreacting to a decidedly innocuous tweet - and you've turned that into the latest in a long line of debates over PC culture (like we haven't had enough of that from the likes of DAnconia). I might have been willing to agree with your original point, but you've gone and turned it into something bigger than it really needed to be and that's why we're getting stuck into these arguments.
First of all, in no way is my point some fluidous babble which was D'anconias thread. Im not talking extremes, but plain common sense in our response to ....well normal life itself. Seriously, Steve Martins tweet even had the possibility to offend people, then the problem is with the people. Not bite into what magazines like New York Magazine or US Weekly consider a slight towards society.

Again, this strikes me as something that cuts both ways, and if you're serious about being smarter rather than louder then something's got to give. I still remember that Halloween costume thread DAnconia started where he quoted articles to further his anti-PC agenda even though those very articles were better at arguing against his point rather than for it - a prime example of louder over smarter. Mindless outrage culture doesn't just come in left-wing SJW form.
True, but my outrage isnt mindless. Its what too many people consider an outrage which is an outrage.

Which explains why you wrote "SJW warriors".
Nitpicky

you seem to really feel bad for this steve martin fella. i have a hunch he's going to be okay.
criticker

Welcome to the human race...
First of all, in no way is my point some fluidous babble which was D'anconias thread. Im not talking extremes, but plain common sense in our response to ....well normal life itself. Seriously, Steve Martins tweet even had the possibility to offend people, then the problem is with the people. Not bite into what magazines like New York Magazine or US Weekly consider a slight towards society.
I don't know if I'd call it common sense (which isn't really that common, boomtish) but if we're not going to talk extremes then this kind of thing should be considered on a case-by-case basis. I get annoyed with incidents like this or the Delta prankster thing because they (and people's overreactions/premature reactions) only fuel preexisting biases against the otherwise reasonable concept of "political correctness", which only causes more problems in the long run.

True, but my outrage isnt mindless. Its what too many people consider an outrage which is an outrage.
Tell me about it, just look at the people who wanted to boycott Rogue One because it had "anti-Trump reshoots" or whatever.

Nitpicky
Here's an accurate picture of me looking for stuff to nitpick:

Have (straight) white males, on average, had a less difficult time than people with another race/gender/sexual orientation throughout modern western history?
Sure. 100% true.

Is that a reason to interpret everything they say or do these days as patronizing?
No.

It's extremely logical that people are angered by the kind of accusations Steve Martin (for instance) has received in this example. That's why I personally think this topic is meaningful. It's a new trend that deserves to be properly discussed and criticized from time to time.
Many of you will probably think it's a hackneyed topic (and understandably so), but that's because you've probably never been the victim of it.

That last sentence works in both ways. The people who feel offended on one side and the people who are accused of offending on the other side.

you seem to really feel bad for this steve martin fella. i have a hunch he's going to be okay.
Well, his friend just died and he was accused of disrespecting them in his attempted tribute. That seems like it could be genuinely upsetting. And I doubt being rich and/or famous (or white, which apparently needs to be used as a disclaimer before we consider the merit of what someone says) changes that at all.

Amazing how if you are white and middle class but agree with PC culture that you are not told your opinion is irrelevant.

I hate being the guy that just continues to point out the hypocrisies in these conversations, but because of those hypocrisies I no longer see any meaningful conversations about these topics.

I do agree with Iro that these things should be taken on a case by case basis and not just thrown into a big pot. Maybe the news publications that got on Martin's case about this nonsense should hear that from the SJWs instead of just us irrelevant white males.

It's a privilege thing, really. The implied reason why white males would want things to go back to the "good old days" is to reclaim the sort of power and status that they feel has been lost because they've had to accommodate people who are different to them (non-white, non-male, etc.).
That's a perfectly reasonable guess, but generalization becomes prejudice the moment someone assumes it applies to an individual with no evidence other than their demographic makeup. It's glib and unproductive, at best, so let's not make excuses for it.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
"Old white guys that miss the good old days"? You, Ash, and Iro obviously felt slighted by my thread title.
hey, don't assume! all i did was laugh at your random All in the Family outburst.

cause it was kinda funny...

also, yeah this thread sucks

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i was actually gonna put a proper response to this thread, but honestly... this thread topic is kind of a jumbled mess. first it's about Steve Martin having to take down a tweet that SJWs were freakin out about, and then it turned into a 'why can't we just turn back time to when there was a TV show where a racist bigot was the star and it was kind of awful, but, he was extremely lovable and he didn't really mean anything by it, and why do we care so much about those racial slurs anyway?"

i dunno, i just don't think the two topics really have enough in common to be thrown into the same thread. they're very different, and one i actually agree with, but the other i'm like eh... yeah... kinda problematic thinking.

i think that's what Iro is taking issue with too, it's like you're saying either we must all agree with both points or else we're "part of the problem", like i guess we're now one of those "rabid SJWs" for it? and, like.... no?

In recent times I've really tried to just ignore all the PC BS because I know that it's just gonna keep on happening and there's nothing I can do about it—but it's just getting worse... and worse... and worse...

Now Steve Martin is merely mourning his dead friend and people are "outraged" by it. Good god. Are these people happy with their lives? Cause I can't see how you can be if you get "offended" by every third word you read or hear.

I'm pretty sure everyone has misunderstood the "good old days" comment:

It was a show about us. People. How we all bitch, do stupid things, have stupid beliefs, and get along with each other regardless.
This isn't saying everything that happened in the past is fine: in fact, it's saying the opposite. It's saying it was full of "stupid things" and "stupid beliefs." The "good old" part is the last part: getting along anyway. Not seeing other people's flaws as things that need to be publicly shamed (as if this were the best way to persuade) or buried (as if not having to hear things means they don't exist).

I don't think TONGO's saying "I wish they would overturn Brown v. Board of Education." I think he's saying people used to be better at disagreeing without being so utterly dismissive towards each other. And given that the response he received to saying this was basically "you're a white male so of course you would think that," it would seem he's got a point.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Must be bedtime; I don't even understand the last two posts.
Consider it a pillow talk preview. If a couple of Mofies go the right way, you'll be in one heck of a threesome.

i was actually gonna put a proper response to this thread, but honestly... this thread topic is kind of a jumbled mess. first it's about Steve Martin having to take down a tweet that SJWs were freakin out about, and then it turned into a 'why can't we just turn back time to when there was a TV show where a racist bigot was the star and it was kind of awful, but, he was extremely lovable and he didn't really mean anything by it, and why do we care so much about those racial slurs anyway?"

i dunno, i just don't think the two topics really have enough in common to be thrown into the same thread. they're very different, and one i actually agree with, but the other i'm like eh... yeah... kinda problematic thinking.

i think that's what Iro is taking issue with too, it's like you're saying either we must all agree with both points or else we're "part of the problem", like i guess we're now one of those "rabid SJWs" for it? and, like.... no?
You missed the point. The point was "back then" a tweet made like Martins wouldnt have been found offensive. Today it is. Thats why we are going backwards. Why?

Heres my opinion, and its an uneducated one I believe we are coming into a generation weened on technology (smartphones & the internet). Informations so available its like a library at our fingertips. The flipside of that coin is sensitivity. Today people know more but can deal with less. The technology is so infatuating we dont have the life experience or thick skin to dealing with problems....or what we perceive as problems.

Maybe we will become less sensitive as time passes, and hopefully the next generation will be better than us.

I'm pretty sure everyone has misunderstood the "good old days" comment:

This isn't saying everything that happened in the past is fine: in fact, it's saying the opposite. It's saying it was full of "stupid things" and "stupid beliefs." The "good old" part is the last part: getting along anyway. Not seeing other people's flaws as things that need to be publicly shamed (as if this were the best way to persuade) or buried (as if not having to hear things means they don't exist).

I don't think TONGO's saying "I wish they would overturn Brown v. Board of Education." I think he's saying people used to be better at disagreeing without being so utterly dismissive towards each other. And given that the response he received to saying this was basically "you're a white male so of course you would think that," it would seem he's got a point.
100% agree with this.

People today really need to just not freak out over everything that they may not like these days. They need to practice what they preach and "tolerate" opinions that differ from theirs and instead find the stuff we have in common and get along regardless.

They also swallow, a lot of crap. Where are all the examples of non-white countries being flooded by white immigrants? Seems to me, that living among white dudes who suck (and swallow) is a fairly desirable concept, nowadays. Internally or nationally, same goes for neighbourhoods. The ones taking the most flack for being politically incorrect, are also the most charitable, inclusive, tolerant and desirable. Funny, how that works.

I'm pretty sure that's because whiter countries are wealthier. I don't think immigrants are moving to these countries to be near white people, charming company though I am.

Well then, quality of life might just be determined by how many white folks remain in a given country or neighbourhood. Maybe, it's time to treat this wealth as a resource and not as an enemy. What do you get when the wealthy white folks start leaving a country or neighbourhood?