Let's talk about suits

Tools    

It is definitely boring. I'm pretty minimalist about these things, though. I like the mod look. Last time I had to dress up, for TV, I went with a black suit, black tie, and dark gray shirt.
Funnily enough, I kinda already gathered the 'mod' leaning from the 'No break' comment

Depends on the event. I like blue for business, but white is good for super formal stuff. Tons of cool shirt/tie combos to play around with.
Absolutely, I think at its peak my collection consisted of about 120 different ties

I agree that no break looks bad. Half or Quarter.

This thread should be a movie short called 'Dressing Yoda' lol.I can see us all around him at the suit store, fussing and measuring, fitting and smoothing, and nattering on like a talk show panel.

Although my basic instinct is to say: @Yoda- just go with what you prefer; colors,etc. - I can't resist my 2 cents on the cuff. I think 1/2 or 1/4 break looks best, otherwise you risk the PeeWee Herman look.

And pleats ! - has anyone mentioned their opinions on pleats yet?

Btw why I'm really here is to say "Yoda!!! You were on tv????!!! What was the occasion? "

You ready? You look ready.
No break all the way. If your socks are not showing when you’re sitting down then your pants are too damn long. This provides more options to distinguish yourself as a man who is sharp AF: a man whose socks have a purpose in life other than keeping his feet warm.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

This thread should be a movie short called 'Dressing Yoda' lol.I can see us all around him at the suit store, fussing and measuring, fitting and smoothing, and nattering on like a talk show panel.
It's okay, I asked for opinions. Provided everyone doesn't mind that I might not end up going with all of theirs, specifically! It's been helpful to get a lot of thoughts.

Although my basic instinct is to say: @Yoda- just go with what you prefer; colors,etc. - I can't resist my 2 cents on the cuff. I think 1/2 or 1/4 break looks best, otherwise you risk the PeeWee Herman look.
I do think it's a fine line, it can definitely be too short. But I really hate the look where, simply standing with your arms at your sides, your jacket is near the beginning of your thumb. The pant length matters a little less to me.

Btw why I'm really here is to say "Yoda!!! You were on tv????!!! What was the occasion? "
Did some election coverage.

Shorter sleeves and legs (and a slimmer cut in general) seem to be the modern style.
Possibly true, but the impression you’re giving is that this is a suit you will keep for a long time. Someone else here said e.g. that narrower lapels will go out of fashion. Classic is always the way to go. Buy the best & it will always look good & never out-of-style.

It is definitely boring. I'm pretty minimalist about these things, though. I like the mod look. Last time I had to dress up, for TV, I went with a black suit, black tie, and dark gray shirt.
You mentioned the Clavin Klein white shirt you bought pre-owned. I love colored shirts, but the best shirt (for any occasion) is a snowy white beautiful cotton shirt.

No break all the way. If your socks are not showing when you’re sitting down then your pants are too damn long. This provides more options to distinguish yourself as a man who is sharp AF: a man whose socks have a purpose in life other than keeping his feet warm.
There is emphasis these days on socks, no question. Especially bright colored ones. But to spend money on a suit because your socks will show makes no sense.

You ready? You look ready.
There is emphasis these days on socks, no question. Especially bright colored ones. But to spend money on a suit because your socks will show makes no sense.
My point was more about how your socks are an extension of the outfit and meant to be seen: that’s why they ride so high on the calf. I don’t go in for the crazy socks thing but yeah, that seems to be the in thing these days.

Still think the most important factor, based on all the strong example images, is being in shape.
And being handsome doesn’t hurt either.

BTW, I love mixed prints. The guy in the suit you like has a different print in his tie, shirt & pocket handkerchief. Celebrity Tim Gunn is a whizz at this kind of look.

A system of cells interlinked
Like the blue on that first one.

Still think the most important factor, based on all the strong example images, is being in shape.
Don't talk about that. My triceps and shoulders are sore today!

I want a suit too. But no time to go out and buy and get it altered.

Took the plunge and went with this yesterday:

Was leaning charcoal for a long time, but I felt a little more adventurous and I think this'll work well for a summer wedding. It's tropical wool. Sprung for the matching vest, too, though I haven't decided if I'll wear it the first time out.

Looking forward to trying it on once everything's properly tailored, trying various ties with it, and getting some fancy shoes.

@Yoda, good choice. I would strongly advise black shoes only.

You can do some very cool color combos with the shirt & tie + the color of the suit.

Nice Chris - already you look completely different