Transformers 2

→ in
Tools    

To preface this, i liked the first. I like Michael Bay films, mostly. I've liked Shia since Even Stevens. With that out the way, i think Transformers serves as interesting place in cinema, cinema itself starting out purely as a form of entertainment with the spectacle of this new technology then digressing into more of a narrative based art form. Everyone's counter to criticism on Transformers is that it's about big transforming robots and is only meant to be entertaining. But you don't have to be making art to make a good film. Which this film isn't.

The plot picks up after the first one with Sam going to college, Bumblebee living in his garage and the autobots and the army cleaning up decepticons around the world. Fair enough. The setup for the sequel's plot is probably the laziest excuse i've seen, with a shard from the cube in the first 'falling out his old jumper'. Queue recycle-tron. What follows is a belated 'revenge' from the decepticons trying to get what Sam saw on this shard- directions to some weapon to destroy the sun and the shard itself turns out can bring back Megatron. Oh and lots of other Transformers are on Earth as well and one who's not called The Fallen who's on some planet growing more robots in little pods. I can't even be bothered to go into the inconsistencies, lack of logic or stupidity in the plot like how there's another shard anyway and bringing back old age transformers instead of the ones they need, the hardest transformers sacrificing themselves to stop anyone getting a key with their bodies as walls which Sam just breezes past. But i imagine most will just say: "who cares, it's about robots fighting!". Well, i care and most people with any concept of film or a brain should as well. How does having two robots start to take down a bigger robot turn around into them disappearing and the robot being fine dictate a coherent flow of logic? Not to mention The Fallen is never really intimidating or interesting.

So robots fighting, does it compensate? Up to the fight in the forest, i'd have said yes. Plot aside, it all flows well and is pretty solid enjoyment, i even remember thinking maybe my apprehension was mistaken because this was quite good. Well, after that it goes down hill in a big way. Something happens that most will see outcome coming long off and they try and build on the non-existent plot with some boring and unfunny plodding around and painful exposition. They throw in too many transformers that are meaningless and switch between annoying and stupid, all there too bloat the film up; unlike the first one that actually attempted to make us differentiate them as characters. The army are just cannon fodder, quite why they try and join in the fights is beyond me. There's attempt to replicate another Turturro character and most the humour falls flat. The effects are decent enough but do little to distract from the glaring problems of pacing, plotting and characterisation. Aspects most would want to be handled well in a film. The finale seems like a rehash of the desert scene in the first. Overall it fails at most it tries to do, except show robots beating each other up. Oh and having every teenage boy in the audience simultaneously ejaculate when seeing Megan Fox bent over a bike. That's not a bad thing by the way and was quite funny hearing cheers from the male audience. My friend fell asleep for an hour and missed nothing. Shame we can't have a Dark Knight every year.

Not seen it yet, dude. To be honest, i'm a bit put off by your review because I, like yourself, found the first Transformers film to be a very entertaining romp, so to read that it's boderline **** (and not in a fun way) just makes me not wanna go. Plus i'm on a tight budget and i'm doing my best to pick the films I know i'm going to enjoy rather than feel like i've wasted several quid. Was gonna go and watch it on IMAX as well. I might still go but will probably just watch it at the cinema.

My mate gave it an extra star based on imax screening and one more for Megan Fox. Well earned
. But if you're gonna enjoy robots fighting, you're going to enjoy it, if you can ignore the fundamentals of competent film making

My mate gave it an extra star based on imax screening and one more for Megan Fox. Well earned
. But if you're gonna enjoy robots fighting, you're going to enjoy it, if you can ignore the fundamentals of competent film making
I enjoy robots fighting as much as the next honey, but yeah, I still need the film to at least have adequate plot development. Megan Fox isn't bad, either. A bit on the skinny side but a striking girl nonetheless, so seeing her on the IMAX screen can't be too shabby. Since your mate gave the IMAX version an extra star i'm going to bite the bullet and book it for next week. But if I can't stand it you owe me £13.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm planning on going to see it in IMAX this week. Let me just say this though, Megan Fox cannot turn s*** into shinola.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Can't wait to see it! Transformers the cartoons were my favorite when was a child

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I have not seen it yet because it has not been released where I am yet.

Suspect's Reviews

Banned from Hollywood.
So apparently i wasnt the only one who thought the movie would be bad...I am not intending to see in but only when it comes out on DVD, with very low hopes...

I guess Megan Fox crushed a young fan at the premiere. I am not too surprised, I get a vibe from her that she is a little stuck-up.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/us-m...ox-flower.html

...uh the post is up there...

So apparently i wasnt the only one who thought the movie would be bad...I am not intending to see in but only when it comes out on DVD, with very low hopes...

Did you not like the first one then?

Not that i'm advocating seeing it but if you do it should be at the cinema otherwise the only thing it has going for it gets bit diluted

I saw it on firday and I'm a little proud I didnt pay to see it. That doesnt mean I did anything illegal, I just happened to mention to the people who wanted to go and see it that "I wouldnt pay to see that crap". And as such a nice people they offered to pay for me. Thanks to them ... I guess.

Now the film. Maybe the loudest movie of the year, but with all that noise and explosions (it's a Micheal Bay movie what do you expect) I found myself losing interest in it and thinking of other things such as what fast food place should we go to after the movie? Why is cinema food so expensive? And, I dont like these shoes I'm wearing, which all seemed to be more interesting to think about and watch this movie. The plot was waffer thin as usual, Shia Lebouf was as annoying as always and I'm starting to get the impression that Megan Fox is only good for being shot in slow motion whilst running (that got my attention ) or bending over cars or in this case motorcycles. Which I will gladly admit I did enjoy watching but thats 3 minutes out of a 2 hour movie.

I really dont like Bay as a director, I know thats a very cliched thing to say but you cant help agreeing with something thats true. He's a magnificent special effects person, but can he direct drama? Not in the slightest! The performances were wooden, which may be more to do with the cast and the awful script than his a a director, but you can just tell with his use of shots during those scenes that he really has no idea what to do when guns and explosions arent going off.

The other members of the audience - mostly young teenagers - seemed to really like the movie, some of them even gave it a short round of applause at the end, which I found strange because I cant remember ever seeing that before outside of a film festival. I obviously didnt see what they saw in it and frankly I dont think I want to. I think I remember calling the first Transformers movie trash on another thread on this forum and I stand by it. And using that same substance to rate Transformers 2, it is a big stinking pile of trash

I also saw The Hangover that same night. Which was excellent, but thats for another thread.

I see people clap after a movie is over all the time.
First time I'd seen it in a "normal" cinema, I've seen it done at festivals because usually someone from the movie is in attendance. It just seemed strange to me, it's probably more widespread than I had first thought.....