What Is The Last DVD You WATCHED?

Tools    

Several films this past week or so...

The Lone Ranger (1956)

Classic Clayton Moore Lone Ranger. Nothing else needs to be said.

Family Movie Night: Despicable Me (2010)

Great, funny family movie. I really enjoyed it, and the kids did too.

The Social Network (2010)

Didn't live up to the hype. It wasn't bad. As a "based on true events" TV movie it was really good. As interesting as the story was, I guess I just wasn't as impressed as everyone else.

Arsenic & Old Lace (1944)

I love this movie. I still laugh out loud throughout the whole film. I know Cary Grant allegedly didn't like his performance, saying it was too "hammy," but he is absolutely hilarious in this picture.

The Social Network (2010)

As a "based on true events" TV movie it was really good.
I've not seen this yet, but this is exactly what this is. However well it's made, it's TV movie of the week fodder.

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole (2010)

This movie was very well done. The kids were mesmerized by the whole thing. A somewhat darker family film than Toy Story. The tone reminded me of stuff like The Black Cauldron and The Secret of Nimh from when I was a kid. Proof that family movies don't have to be just silly and goofy.

Grown Ups (2010)

One of the better Adam Sandler movies, but still an Adam Sandler movie.

Toy Story 3 (2010)

Rewatched it with the kids again. Still the best film from this year I've seen.

Enter the Lone Ranger (1949); aka The Legend of the Lone Ranger (1952)

The first three episodes of the classic Clayton Moore television series (Enter the Lone Ranger, The Lone Ranger Fights On, The Lone Ranger's Triumph) tell the definitive tale of the Lone Ranger's origin. They first aired on TV in September of 1949 and were later edited together as a movie and given a theatrical release in 1952. While Moore's delivery here is a little more wooden (he was told to try and imitate the radio Ranger, Brace Beemer) than in the later episodes and films, this is still a fun show to watch. Veteran western villain Glenn Strange is great as Butch Cavendish. Far superior to 1981's big budget re-telling.

The public domain Three Stooges shorts.

I now have all of the shorts, but for some reason I still like popping in a disc of the 4 public domain shorts for a quick hour of laughs.

- Disorder in the Court (1936)
The only PD short featuring Curly. The Stooges are witnesses at a murder trial. Featuring the classic swearing in scene:

Judge: "He's asking you if you swear..."
Curly: "No! But I know all the woids."

- Brideless Groom (1947)
Great short with Shemp. Shemp has to get married in order to inherit $500,000. Favorite line:

Moe: "You wouldn't hit a lady with that, would ya? Use this. It's bigger."

- Sing a Song of Six Pants (1947)
Another great Shemp short with the Stooges foiling the plans of a bank robber. Favorite exchange:

Girl (to Shemp): "Do you dye?"
Moe: "No, that's his natural expression."

- Malice in the Palace (1949)
More Shemp as the Stooges go after a cursed jewel in an arabic setting. The best scene involves Larry, a dog, a cat, and a meatcleaver.

Endangered Species

Robin Hood

with Russell Crowe
I like the new angle for this version.
Beats the old, tired fairy tale.

My last one is "Enemy at Gate" and "Mummy returns"

And at the end of fear, oblivion
Anna M.