Transformers 2

→ in
Tools    

Beware The Probe!
Bad reviews be damned.
I can't wait to see this movie later this week and I really don't see any possible way I won't like it.
I'm expecting a popcorn flick and from everything I've seen and heard so far, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a popcorn flick.

Course 2 hours of Megan Fox straddling a motorcycle could probably keep me entertained with a grin on my face and drool on my chin so I consider the alien robots a bonus.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Course 2 hours of Megan Fox straddling a motorcycle could probably keep me entertained with a grin on my face and drool on my chin so I consider the alien robots a bonus.
Hate to break it to you, but she doesn't straddle a motorcycle for the entire movie.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, but a guy can dream can't he?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I guess my big thing is people who will mention Megan Fox to death before they talk about the movie. I know the movie isn't that bad.

In the Beginning...
Roger Ebert, on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen:

If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.

In less than 5 hours, I will be seeing this movie in Imax! It may not be doing the best, but I am very excited for it nonetheless. Bay may not be the best director, but he knows how to blow things up, and in Imax, that's what counts . I'll let everyone know what I personally think about it after I watch it...
haha not that anyone cares

there's a frog in my snake oil
A bombastic movie deserves a bombastic review?

---

Michael Bay Finally Made An Art Movie

Beware The Probe!
Hate to break it to you, but she doesn't straddle a motorcycle for the entire movie.
Yeah I know.
I was just saying I COULD enjoy a movie of her only straddling a motorcycle for 2 hours. That's all she'd have to do.
My imagination would handle the rest with the mini-movie it would be creating with me playing the part of the bike.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
It was m'kay for me. My teenage son LOVED it. My teenage daugther thought it was "pretty good." They actually wanted to see it in I max but I can't do that, it makes me nauseous and they wanted me with them, awww!

Anyway, I thought it held up to the first film pretty well. If you like lots of noise and robots and explosions, it should work for ya.

If you want anything approaching realism it might not. I mean how many times can humans fall from great heights, have debris flying all around them, and not be significantly injured? Sorry, human bodies are far more fragile than that.

And really, could robots do well, under water? How about wouldn't they burn up as they enter earth's atmosphere? Why would a robot who's eye was burned with a torch say "ouch?" Can they feel that really? Because they are aliens are we supposed to believe they have human sensation or something like it?

Now if you want to look at hot chicks, this movie should work for you! Megan Fox is very hot in spite of false eyelashes that at times were placed too high up. (Why someone didn't catch that I don't know.) In spite of having her lips worked on, she is still very, very hot. The only question for me is why would a girl like that being with a kid who looks like the lead male? Maybe she just is an adrenaline junky that enjoys running from giant murderous robots and nearly dying as often as can be arranged?

College life scenes were full of hotties too! However, on any real college campus I've seen, most of the people, girls or boys, are dressed as if they rolled out of bed with their clothes already on that day. We are talking baggy shorts, wrinkled tops and flip flops, so this is a great fantasy about college! I wish!

Let's see, what messages were pushed during the film? The military is great. Ford products are great. Those were two messages I felt were being sent. It reminded me of the old new reels propaganda in a way.

BTW, before the movie there was a Ford commercial talking about how they are better than car companies who are nor receiving bail outs and how we need to hurry and get a Ford today. Ford, I was always told was short of Fix or Repair Daily. My thought was yes, hurry before it goes out of business.

Also David Cook, who I've never liked is now part of the before show. He comes on REALLY LOUD suddenly and tells us to turn off our cells phones, because, "The person beside you might get upset." I don't know whose idea that spot was but it's not effective. If I had ever liked Mr. Cook from American Idol, I'd dislike him once I was blasted by these stupid spots but I digress, back to the movie.

I didn't like the idea that Obama would appoint an officious jerk to derail any intelligent counter measures to the decepticons. I thought the dig at him trying for a diplomatic solution was a low blow personally.

I liked the decepticon with the long lashing tail! For a minute there I was back to the old TV show thinking of the Saber Toothed Tiger but no, that wasn't the case.

I liked that the officious jerk from the first movie was now on the right team, in this movie. That was a surprise.

The parts about the humans were the most interesting to me. The mother in the movie had a plum part. She played it well and was hilarious.

The father was great too. Both were complex in their portrayals despite not having much screen time.

Once the big robot, transforming, fights, car chases and explosions happened, I had trouble caring and staying awake. That's just me though.

I'm not sure how one could categorize that as a "low blow" given how incredibly indirect it was (it was almost always "the President" and not "President Obama"). Or given what a certain former President was subjected to over the last eight years or so, most of it far more frequent and direct. Or how easy Obama's gotten off in the late-night joke department (the disparity there is massive). Either way, this is how it works: you win, you have to be the butt of a few jokes, and you have to be the all-purpose stand-in for this sort of thing. It was entirely reasonable, very indirect, and one would have to be pretty protective of this particular politician to be perturbed.

Anyway, I hope to have a review of in the next day or so (didn't get around to seeing it until yesterday). For now I'll just say that I somewhat agree with people who found Skids and Mudflaps to be stereotypical and offensive, and that a lot of stuff sure did 'splode. More later.

Saw this on IMAX yesterday and my head exploded from awesomeness.

It's was most often "The President" but in one line it was said that "President Obama is being flown to an undisclosed . . ."

I'm not sure how one could categorize that as a "low blow" given how incredibly indirect it was (it was almost always "the President" and not "President Obama"). Or given what a certain former President was subjected to over the last eight years or so, most of it far more frequent and direct. Or how easy Obama's gotten off in the late-night joke department (the disparity there is massive). Either way, this is how it works: you win, you have to be the butt of a few jokes, and you have to be the all-purpose stand-in for this sort of thing. It was entirely reasonable, very indirect, and one would have to be pretty protective of this particular politician to be perturbed.

Anyway, I hope to have a review of in the next day or so (didn't get around to seeing it until yesterday). For now I'll just say that I somewhat agree with people who found Skids and Mudflaps to be stereotypical and offensive, and that a lot of stuff sure did 'splode. More later.

Right; he was never mentioned in conjunction with the negative things. If anything, that says to me that they went somewhat out of their way to avoid it.

EDIT: but really, what's supposed to be the big insult? That he might hire someone who's bad at their job? Of course he will. He has hired people he shouldn't have, and he'll hire more. Even good Presidents do. His own Vice President's already a train wreck, so this isn't exactly a leap.

So, yeah, as I said, if someone's politically smitten with the man, it's probably going to look like some kind of slight. To the people enduring the opposite (blatantly) for years on end, it seems a lot more like a pulled punch.

We will never agree on these kind of things. The slight was not just that he would hire a total jerk to make it harder for many to do a decent and needed job, but also that he would use "diplomacy" in an area that clearly won't work in.

The more I think about it, the more conservative, republican and war bird-ish this movie looks. I mean think about it . . .

Put down dem president Check
Promote guns Check
Promote war Check
Promote buying American cars Check
Put down the idea of diplomacy Check
Show sex as dangerous Check

LOL

By that definition, any fun action movie is "conservative" and "war bird-ish," because they all involve conflict and violence. You might as well say the nature of conflict is "conservative." Nor is the idea of buying American cars particularly conservative; if anything, Republicans are the more free-trade oriented of the two parties these days. Nor did the film show sex as dangerous; at least, not in a serious sense. That's also quite an odd claim to make after referencing how overly attractive most of the women were in an earlier post, too.

As for the rest: the film finished shooting two days before the 2008 election even took place, was obviously written long before that, and the basics of the story were obviously laid out even before that, so unless the screenwriters have come into possession of a flux capacitor, it doesn't seem plausible to suggest that they were taking a swipe at him.

And besides, the idea of a bureaucrat denying the reality of a public danger on their watch has been used a bazillion times in these sorts of movies. It's an action movie cliche.

Even if we ignored all of this (though why would we?), it's not an unreasonable swipe to take. It's largely indirect, almost certaintly incidental, and it's a safe bet you had no problem with this sort of thing throughout most of the decade. So while you may not like it, because you happen to luh-uh-ve the current President, there's really no way it constitutes a "low blow." Though the reaction here would seem to imply a double-standard.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Having not seen the film, I'm guessing the script was written long before Obama won the Presidency and they just added his name in afterwards to try to keep the film topical. Besides that, executive producer Steven Spielberg is definitely Pro-Obama. I just don't see how any serious person can look at something like a Transformers movie as making any serious political statements. I wouldn't look at this type of movie for anything serious, but I'd imagine it would promote big, loud, mindless, escapist entertainment.

P.S. - I've worked for the Federal government (during the Reagan administration), and I can state that bureaucrats are rampant and many are utterly incompetent.

Hey, I didn't drag it into this one, but I felt obliged to respond. I'm keeping it almost entirely to its relation to the film, too.

Besides, none of the Obama supporters'll reply in that other thread.