Tugg Reminiscences 2016 in Movies, Top 50

→ in
Tools    

17. The Shallows
"The Shallows" has become one of my favorites since I've watched it few times already. One reason is that the plot is so simple, I don't need to concentrate to know what is happening. Other reason has been correctly guessed to be Blake Lively. Overall I'd say it's beautifully made survival flick.

16. Hacksaw Ridge
"Hacksaw Ridge" is emotionally well structured movie. It has all necessary ingredients for tear jerker: what happened in his family, him falling in love, brutal training, heroic sacrifice. All these ingredients are edited and directed masterfully. If I had one complaint, it would be extremely brutal battle scenes, but then again, these provided shock factor and added to well balanced dynamic of the movie. Of course the highlight of which was Desmond saving "just one more" life on the battlefield.

15. American Honey
Watching "American Honey" is like going on a journey together with protagonists. Over 2 and a half hours pass and I didn't even notice, it's that immersive. It portrays unfamiliar culture, but watching them, it seems you're getting to know them intimately and genuinely. And naturally you are rooting for Sasha Lane to come out well at the end.

14. The Witch (2015)
"The Witch" teleports viewer few centuries back in time, in remote corner of the world near the woods where one family with unfortunate past and present full of hardship lives. They all have secrets that haunt them and obstruct making the best of very bad situation. Their life is hard as it is, but what if it is about to get more unforgiving if the witch lives in the woods near by. Grim atmosphere shadows the duration of the film as hope is being crushed and despair becomes all pervasive. Are these superstitious fools tearing themselves apart or maybe their lies are finally coming to collect their dues or maybe there's a witch that cursed them. They may never have answers but they surely will meet their hour of reckoning.

13. 10 Cloverfield Lane
Michelle played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead leaves an apartment as her boyfriend begs her not to leave. On a way she gets into car accident and finds herself locked inside a bunker. There is Howard played by John Goodman and Emmett played by John Gallagher Jr. Howard says he is protecting his companions from something horrible that happened above ground. Michelle doesn't know what to think or believe. As they spend time in the bunker we get to know each individual intimately. We start seeing their perspective. But mystery about the truth above ground never ceases to spark intrigue within confined bunker and discrepancies in facts. "10 Cloverfield Lane" is infused with constant cat and mouse maneuvering and psychological tensions emanating from inability to fully trust the only people they have.

12. Zootopia
"Zootopia" is rare animation which is more for grown ups than for children. It is creative way to touch upon so many real life and pop culture matters without coming across as preachy or lame. "Zootopia" plays with serious issues like child would play with his toys. It brings joy to what could have been a depressing topic, actually many topics. It would be an interesting game to sit down and start writing all "Zootopia" references,- long list though.

11. Captain America: Civil War
Russo brothers have achieved:
1) Incorporation of 13 superheroes in one movie giving enough time to reveal psychological states, motivations and political positions for all of them.
2) Intricate and complex and at the same time cohesive storyline.
3) Examination of political, social and psychological philosophies in fluid manner.
4) Cohesive directing, editing and cohesively dynamic pacing.
5) Exciting and immersive action/ spectacle.

10. The Magnificent Seven (2016)
The movie takes us to a world where there is no rule of law and where right is the might. After seeing village terrorised and her man killed for no good reason, a woman swears to avenge the gang and looks to pay best fighters to protect the village. Seven are assembled with good will rather than promise of pay off and they prepare the village for battle against the gang. I like this movie because I can root for the good guys and I empathize with the villagers. Actors Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke and others make for sympathetic heroes. And very crucially,- action pieces are well done and exciting to watch. In believably created world with people you care about and action as crowning of efforts, that's what makes it one of my favorite movies of 2016.

9. Triple 9
"Triple 9" is heist movie with blurred loyalty lines. There are 3 main groups: robbers, police and Russian mafia. They all have shady people on their side. I like this movie because all people have different outlooks on the situation and they all meet different fates. The unpredictability of peoples actions and situation outcomes combined with uncompromising retaliations and necessity to walk fine line between being in the clear and being dead is what makes this flick exiting. As bonus- it has great cast.

8. The Neon Demon
"The Neon Demon" has not straight forward narrative. There is no correct interpretation. At it's core it's about the world of modelling. In wider sense I'd say it's about Los Angeles. The Neon Demon is Los Angeles. New comer Jesse played by Elle Fanning has no idea what she got herself into when she decides to become a model. She is constantly told how special she is, but the demon will work on her just the same as it has worked for other models. One of them is her new friend Ruby played by Jena Malone, who's acting is exceptional. I think "The Neon Demon" is as good as others Nicolas Winding Refn's films like "Bronson", "Drive" or "Only God Forgives".

7. Moonlight
"Moonlight" cinematography is beautiful. It allows to feel what characters feel and to see the world from their perspective. Even if subject matter might be controversial at very least or down right ugly at worst, since the pace is so immersive, no turn of events or ugly revelation can disrupt the sublime power the movie exudes. If regarding the main protagonist, he goes through different stages in life, but there's some timeless unifying theme running through all of them.

6. Paterson
Director Jim Jarmusch has outdone himself with this one. Beauty in simplicity has always been his trademark. Paterson adds timely rhymed poems to instill images with almost other worldly dimension. Yet, it's all so simple.

5. La La Land
"La La Land" is bitter sweet fairy tale fusing zest for life, romance and artistic aspirations. Their dreams made their world full of color and wonder, but only some of that was meant to be and some was left a dream of what could have been.

4. The Nice Guys
When I saw "The Nice Guys" in cinema, it was one of the best experiences, because theatre full of people could not stop laughing. "The Nice Guys" is such a special movie to me because it's not just a comedy. It also paradoxically combines fell good vibe with edginess, though granted, even aggressiveness doesn't come off as offensive. Sympathetic back and forth between Gosling and Crowe is the cornerstone of this defining movie of 2016.

3. Everybody Wants Some!!
"Everybody Wants Some!!" is all about tongue in cheek group dynamics of baseball team mates. It's a look at few days of partying and times in between they spend together. The strength of this flick is that all characters are likable and it has lots of scenes and dialogue lines to become classic.

2. Arrival
I appreciate the pace of "Arrival". It puts viewer in a state where it feel like little is happening. Yet, behind the screen the world is living through the biggest event in human history. I've always been fascinated by language and the main subject of "Arrival" is language and communication in a broader sense. Most crucial breakthroughs are revealed in a subdued deliverance and everything grandiose amounted to nothing. All that would have been enough to sell me on this flick, but the resolution is not only satisfying as the final twist, it encompasses everything in a much more enlightening and at the same time mysterious manner.

1. Green Room (2015)
I love "Green Room" because it has beautiful cinematography for an ugly subject; dream like vibe paralleled by hyper realistic feel; realistically shocking burst of violence overlaid by transcendentally embracing immersion in horrific.

1. Green Room (2015)
2. Arrival
3. Everybody Wants Some!!
4. The Nice Guys
5. La La Land
6. Paterson
7. Moonlight
8. The Neon Demon
9. Triple 9
10. The Magnificent Seven (2016)
11. Captain America: Civil War
12. Zootopia