Tugg Reminiscences 2016 in Movies, Top 50

→ in
Tools    

33. Hell or High Water
Modern Western with blurred lines morally and precise objectives that both give direction and motivation for characters to go by whilst at the same time portraying meaninglessness and futility of their strive through cinematographic vast spaces and through disillusionment of common men and women. P.s. it's a heist flick,- you can't go wrong with heist.

32. Sing Street
I was into this from start to finish, never knowing what direction it would take. All character were likable and I can see it becoming my favorite with more re watches.

Great film, Krisha Fairchild gave my best performance from last year. I could understand if you are finished with 2016 for now though as you've seen over 100.

31. Jason Bourne
Once again, I'm in the minority in liking new Bourne movie. Man against the system will always make me nod my head with approvingly knowledgeable sympathy. The chase in Athens was one of the best things that happened in movies last year. And the rest of the movie did not disappoint with cat and mouse maneuvers all over globe. Although the ending went over the top it seems to me. And the very end should have been different. Loved Alicia Vikander in this.

30. The Girl on the Train
It's not that the movie is great. It's just the sort of movie I wouldn't mind re watching multiple times. Aforementioned criteria was very much taken into consideration when ranking this list. Besides, it has alcoholic Emily Blunt. Alcoholic being my second name and Emily Blunt being hot. Regardless, the movie is a mystery, but I like it even more for the style rather than substance (unless it's alcoholic).

29. The Library Suicides
Welsh movie about twin sisters who work in National Library starring Catrin Stewart. It's mysterious, sexy and twisted.

28. Star Trek Beyond
I was not gonna watch "Star Trek" movie, never liked, never have. But I did. And it was so much better than most superhero movies being created today. First of all it had good rhythm/ pacing. There was enough time to get to know all characters and what they were all about. My favorites being Sofia Boutella as Jaylah and Simon Pegg, but the rest were good as well. It was fun and if it wasn't, it didn't have too much CGI blow out. Up beat flick all around.

27. Wiener-Dog
"Wiener-Dog" is several comic stories united by wiener dog going from one owner to another. It's light watch and it has many quirky/funny moments. This is one of those about nothing.

26. Bridget Jones's Baby
Loved first "Bridget Jones" and this sequel does not disappoint. What can I say, it's more of the same admirable awkwardness and quirkiness she is known for.

25. Keanu
Keanu is a cat lost by Jordan Peele's and Keegan-Michael Key's characters. He was stolen by gangsters, so being as the cat Keanu was the only glimmer of hope in their lives, they go down to gang land to find him. They themselves pretend to be tough gangsters and are given tasks to buy back Keanu. Needles to say, things can't go smoothly and they find themselves in situations they never signed up for. Their gangster façade cracks me up.

24. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
Andy Samberg plays a popstar who starts his solo career and is being filmed by reality TV crew during launch of his first solo album. This flick is full of music and pop culture in general parody jokes. Unless you have been living under a rock, you should find lots of funny jokes. I did not expect it to be as good as it was. It is similar to "Borat" in the style of humor.

23. Bad Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising
Yes it's funny, but more than that, it has a feel good sense. Zac Efron is the best in this one, because he goes through most disappointments, whilst being the driving force behind everything that happens. He's always the one who gives advice and is left unappreciated. The rest of the cast are just doing their shtick, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

22. The Conjuring 2
You could not have more polished horror movie than "Conjuring 2". James Wan created a flawless one. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as Warrens are beyond likable and sympathetic. Madison Wolfe is great choice for main girl. A sequel as good as the original.

Want to see Wiener Dog as it has Dawn from Welcome To The Dollhouse in it. Hated the first Bad Neighbours, i have heard off some that the second is better but i doubt i'll watch it.

21. Doctor Strange
One of better Marvel releases. It has good pacing. Protagonist has character arc. He is entertaining. He has somebody who cares for him. New world is gradually revealed to Strange. Magic isn't overdone to neither confusing or overpowered levels. CGI is well done and understandable. The movie is self contained and action is restrained. The only possible downside of "Doctor Strange" is implications in larger Marvel universe, by that I mean, anybody who can manipulate time is problematic regarding plot consistency.

20. Eye in the Sky (2015)
This is "12 Angry Men" type of movie. It's not about war per se. It's about moral dilemma of bombing terrorist cell when a girl is near by the compound. Spies on the ground try to move the girl away, while movie focuses on discussions of whether to bomb or not on all levels. All actors have their points of view and their responsibilities. But who's gonna be left to blame if innocents become casualties?

19. Friend Request
This movie is by no means without flaws. Neither is it popular. But it became one of my favorite movies of last year for several reasons. But first- flaws: it's not consistent, it has lot's of pointless deaths, pacing is a bit off. On the other hand soundtrack is phenomenal and keeps it all together, creating general mood and atmosphere. Protagonist undergoes a change. There are beautifully haunting visuals. All in all, it's rather my favorite than objectively a good movie.

18. Maggie's Plan (2015)
The reason I placed this movie so high is because I wouldn't mind to re watch it right now since it's character relationships are so intricate, yet not confusing, so complicated, yet not antagonistic, so problematic, yet light hearted, so back stabbing, yet sympathetic. Cast includes: Greta Gerwig, Ethan Hawke, Julianne Moore.