Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Airplane! (1980)
Directors: Jim Abrahams, David Zucker
Writers: Jim Abrahams, David Zucker
Cast: Robert Hays, Julie Hagerty, Leslie Nielsen
Genre: Comedy

I'm sorry you didn't like Airplane! Citizen...I can imagine in 2016 that it might seem dated...may be if you had seen it when it was originally released you might have felt different,,,the audience was roaring with laughter in the theater the first time I saw it.

I'm sorry you didn't like Airplane! Citizen...I can imagine in 2016 that it might seem dated...may be if you had seen it when it was originally released you might have felt different,,,the audience was roaring with laughter in the theater the first time I saw it.
Gideon....I believe it when you say the theater audience was in stitches. Airplane was a huge hit! at the time. I remember kids at school talking about how funny it was. I guess I should have seen it back in the day. Have you seen the movie it spoofs, Zero Hour!, I watched it thanks to Captain and Zero Hour is not only entertaining it's funny in a dry sort of way. I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Gideon....I believe it when you say the theater audience was in stitches. Airplane was a huge hit! at the time. I remember kids at school talking about how funny it was. I guess I should have seen it back in the day. Have you seen the movie it spoofs, Zero Hour!, I watched it thanks to Captain and Zero Hour is not only entertaining it's funny in a dry sort of way. I recommend it if you haven't seen it.
I will add it to my watchlist.

Master of My Domain
Sounds like Gatsby has seen it?

I was kinda joking about Sandler movies. I've only seen 2? I did like Happy Gilmore. But once again Sandler isn't my style of comic.
Yes, I have seen the movie. It's one my favorites, actually. Never fails to make me laugh.

Glad you were joking about Sandler, or else I might have to call you Citizen Sucks.

I've only seen these two Adam Sandler movies and I even liked them, for what they were.

Happy Gilmore (1996)
Billy Madison (1995)

I might watch The Wedding Singer one of these days, but yeah most of his film aren't what I would prefer to watch.

So....everybody will be happy to know, I watched another beloved comedy film (this time from the late 1970s) and I hated it! I'll review that soon, so you guys get your rotted tomatoes ready.

Man, Rules! One Adam Sandler comment and you've dug yourself quite a hole!

Lesson learned: never joke about Adam Sandler (it's like joking about Hitler.) Some things are too serious to make jokes about, and people's hatred for Sandler is serious!

I've only seen these two Adam Sandler movies and I even liked them, for what they were.

Happy Gilmore (1996)
Billy Madison (1995)

I might watch The Wedding Singer one of these days, but yeah most of his film aren't what I would prefer to watch.

So....everybody will be happy to know, I watched another beloved comedy film (this time from the late 1970s) and I hated it! I'll review that soon, so you guys get your rotted tomatoes ready.
On the subject of Adam Sandler, Citizen, I would like to suggest Mr. Deeds and Punch Drunk Love.

Lesson learned: never joke about Adam Sandler (it's like joking about Hitler.) Some things are too serious to make jokes about, and people's hatred for Sandler is serious!
Yup! This is going to become Sandler-gate. Sort of like the time I panned Woody Allen and then ended up watching many of his films, just to see them...then I ended up being a fan of Woody's.

On the subject of Adam Sandler, Citizen, I would like to suggest Mr. Deeds and Punch Drunk Love.
Thanks Gideon, I would watch Mr Deeds just to see Winona Ryder. I'd probably watch Punch Drunk Love too... Maybe that one will get nominated in an Hof.

You know what's scarry? He was born Sept 9th '66. We have two 6s already. And i know I said I won't mention astrology again, but I'm only kidding people...which makes him Virgo, the 6th sign.

You know what's scarry? He was born Sept 9th '66. We have two 6s already. And i know I said I won't mention astrology again, but I'm only kidding people...which makes him Virgo, the 6th sign.
Sept 9th, eh? And you know what 9 turned upside down is!
Plus that means his birthday is 9/9/66. Its an upside down palindrome - that's got to mean something!

Sept 9th, eh? And you know what 9 turned upside down is!
Plus that means his birthday is 9/9/66. Its an upside down palindrome - that's got to mean something!
you know what this reminds me off? The End of Days. Remember (if you've seen it) when Rod tells about 666...Thomas of Aquini had dreams in which he saw the antichrist and those numbers, but upside down. so, 1999 was supposed to be the Revelation. Well, it wasn't, and i know it's a horrible thing, but something did happen on Sept 11 2001. no one can tell me that nothing happened on Millenium. World will never be the same again.

you know what this reminds me off? The End of Days. Remember (if you've seen it) when Rod tells about 666...Thomas of Aquini had dreams in which he saw the antichrist and those numbers, but upside down. so, 1999 was supposed to be the Revelation. Well, it wasn't, and i know it's a horrible thing, but something did happen on Sept 11 2001. no one can tell me that nothing happened on Millenium. World will never be the same again.
Going a bit off topic, but most people think the significance of the 9/11 date has to do with the fact that it's the American phone code for "emergency." But the date was chosen by the terrorists because it is significant in Islamic history.

Check out...

The Siege of Malta - 9/11/1565
The Muslim Expulsion from Spain (Announced) - 9/11/1609
The Battle of Vienna - 9/11/1683
The Battle of Zenta - 9/11/1697

Every Which Way But Loose (1978)

Director: James Fargo
Writer: Jeremy Joe Kronsberg
Cast: Clint Eastwood, Sondra Locke, Geoffrey Lewis, the Orangutan
Genre: Action, Comedy

The wild adventures of a truck driving, street fighting cowboy (Clint Eastwood), who drinks beer and chases Sandra Locke around the country, all while his pet orangutan and best buddy come along for the ride.

The second highest grossing film of 1978 was non other than Clint Eastwood's first foray into wacky comedy. Panned by critics, the film went on to be one of Eastwood's biggest success and ranks in the top 200 of the highest grossing films (when accounting for inflation).

Original this had been slated to be another wild and crazy comedy in the vein of Smoky and the Bandit and was to star Burt Reynolds. Too bad it didn't star Mr Reynolds. I'm a big fan of Eastwood as an actor and as a director, but as a comedy star he doesn't have a lot going for him.

For starters he comes across as way too serious and restrained. Probably because in real life he's described as a quiet, reserved man. That personality worked wonders for him in the Spaghetti westerns, but here he seems too serious, which makes the film seem serious and it's way too corny to be serious.

Poor Clint he's pursued by everyone in this film, including the dangerous Black Widow motorcycle gang. Which reminds of Eric Von Zipper from How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965)...Then there's two hair brained cops who Clint takes out by B-slapping one of them with a trout (that's a fish to you none fishermen types).

All this is going on as Clint is hopelessly seeing Sandra Locke, who was Eastwood's real life girlfriend and protege. Together they made six films, including this one where she sings.

Sandra Locke actually does sing in this movie, pretty good at it too. In fact it's the country western songs performed by the actual singers that make this movie decent. Of course the title song Every Which Way But Loose was a big hit for Eddie Rabbit.

If you like fist fighting, there's a lot of it here and lots of Olympia beer drinking too. Mainly I suggest watching it for the music, and for Ruth Gordon who's always funny and for Clyde the Orangutan.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpBMR8d6.jpeg
Views:	7242
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	26508  

...I believe we all know any establishment is evil per definition. My dad is a real nut job on conspiracy theories, I learned a lot from him. Masons and all that. I didn't believe in them, but they make sense. Like, the real fat bastards who are evil and rule the world are actually in a bunker somewhere...
I use to love watching TV shows about different conspiracies. I'm way too skeptical to believe some, but some sound very plausible and of course some have been proven to be real, like the conspirators who plotted and assassinated President Lincoln. Conspiracies are an interesting topic you should make a new thread about them that be cool, and your first post you could talk about " Like, the real fat bastards who are evil and rule the world are actually in a bunker somewhere"...I'm not sure who you mean? But interested!

... I mean this whole thing, just like everything else is the ancient "science or religion?" question. I say religion, even thou I'm occupied with math, i adore it. I'm very Christian, I believe Satan himself is behind science, and a lot of other stuff, including people in power. Did I go to far? I'm stopping before I get into trouble.....
You're fine Beatle We all get to have our own opinions...and yes some science has been used for evil. But personally I think the great evil is those humans over the centuries who have tried forcing their views onto others and thus squelching the human experience. (hey, that makes a good discussion topic too)

I use to love watching TV shows about different conspiracies. I'm way too skeptical to believe some, but some sound very plausible and of course some have been proven to be real, like the conspirators who plotted and assassinated President Lincoln. Conspiracies are an interesting topic you should make a new thread about them that be cool, and your first post you could talk about " Like, the real fat bastards who are evil and rule the world are actually in a bunker somewhere"...I'm not sure who you mean? But interested!
While we're at it, there's of course the JFK thing. I really do believe they killed him bc he tried to stop the war in Vietnam, started to give Christian-like speaches ("Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country", "We're not gonna do it bc it's easy, we'll do it bc it's hard"). But ultimately i believe John Malković was correct in that Clint movie. JFK had a death wish. It's naive to think he didn't know the'll kill him bc of what he was doing. OK I'll do it, and explain the fat bastards . One thing I can say it's not austin Powers. I'm not sure who I mean either, but the real villains, tthe greatest ones in entire human history are not Hitler, Stalinetc. They're Spinoza, whose philosophy was very anti-Christian, one might say it all started with him, who influenced the illuminators Jean Jacques Rousseau, Montesquieu (remember Straw Dogs? Dustin: "No blood was spilled like that of the Kingdom of Heaven" that's a direct quote) and of course Voltaire, who were ideologists of the French Revolution, imho the single most important event in human history (except Jesus, obviously), where all this democracy by which they've successfully fooled people started. Another great beast is sir Isaac Newton, as much as I admire his math and science (there's no denying he was one of the greatest geniuses of all time, greater than Da Vinci imho), it was again anti-Christian. He was in fact more of an occulist than a scientist, deep, deep into black magic, a warlock, and he was the grandmaster of the Primary of Sion, as we saw in the Da Vinci Code. Leonardo was also a satanist, just look at this:

However, the worst of them all was albert Pike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pike

The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934)

Director: Sidney Franklin
Cast: Norma Shearer, Fredric March, Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Sullivan
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

About: The biographical story of the famous 19th century British poet, Elizabeth Barrett-Browning. Young Elizabeth is a sickly woman unable to walk and confined to her bedroom. Her one outlet is writing poetry. Her poems attract the attention of another up and coming poet, Robert Browning, who falls in love with young Elizabeth through her writings. When they finally meet face to face, it's love at first sight. Though her father (Charles Laughton) is a maniacal tyrant and forbids his children to marry. His desire is to keep young Elizabeth to himself as a surrogate for his wife that he drove away years ago.

Review: I thought this was going to be a dry, movie until the second act got going. Then the story gets intense and the acting gets grandeur. It's quite an intense story of a maniacal father, aptly played by Charles Laughton, who controls, threatens and sends fear into the heart of his adult children, especially the two young women, Elizabeth (Norma Shearer) and Henrietta (Maureen O'Sullivan). Into this mix comes the dashing and love struck poet Robert Browning (Fredric March), who has fallen in love with Elizabeth but must carefully visit her as not to arose the anger of her father.

A particular tense part of the film deals with the overt affections of the father for his daughter. In this way the film becomes more than just a dramatic love story but takes on a deeper, sinister feel as the father seeks to control his daughter who in his eyes has taken the place of his wife.

Based on the successful stage play of the 1930s. The Barretts of Wimpole Street was nominated for two Academy Awards: Best Picture and Norma Shearer for Best Actress. The movie was also remade in 1957 with Jennifer Jones.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-barretts-of-wimpole-street-norma-shearer-charles-laughton-1934.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	26516  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I added Zero Hour! to my watchlist, but I doubt I'll get to it before I have to submit my 1950's list, so I hope it's not that good.