Coronavirus

Tools    

I was going to get my booster at the beginning of the year, but I keep hearing "six months" more consistently now. Thanksgiving will be exactly six months since my last shot. But I'm afraid that if I get one now, I'll be unable to do anything for Thanksgiving anyway. At least my grandparents are boosted.

I was going to get my booster at the beginning of the year, but I keep hearing "six months" more consistently now. Thanksgiving will be exactly six months since my last shot. But I'm afraid that if I get one now, I'll be unable to do anything for Thanksgiving anyway. At least my grandparents are boosted.
I don’t know a single person who had ill-effects from the booster. If I were you, I would get it right now.

I don’t know a single person who had ill-effects from the booster. If I were you, I would get it right now.
I'll definitely get it soon, maybe within weeks. I had a breakthrugh infection in mid-July, so I think my antibodies will be fine until then.

So the Pfizer booster shot beat the living daylights outta me this weekend. Got it Friday at lunch and woke up Saturday feeling like I'd been run over by a dump truck. Fever got to 102.2 at one point. This was my experience with the previous shots as well, so I was expecting it.
I was mostly fine by Sunday afternoon, but I hope this is my last shot for the next year at least. Ouch.
I'm in Canada so will be a while until I get my booster, but hoping to get it mid week so I can game the side effects for some sick days. Judge not that ye not be judged.

So the Pfizer booster shot beat the living daylights outta me this weekend. Got it Friday at lunch and woke up Saturday feeling like I'd been run over by a dump truck. Fever got to 102.2 at one point. This was my experience with the previous shots as well, so I was expecting it.
I was mostly fine by Sunday afternoon, but I hope this is my last shot for the next year at least. Ouch.
Aw,

I had pretty mild reactions to all three shots. Just a little bit of a headache. I got my flu shot and COVID booster on the same day, and the sore arm was the worst of it.

I was at a leadership meeting today and someone wanted us to get all the kids together for an assembly the day before Christmas break and the Principal was like "NOPE!!!". LOL. I don't blame her. One positive case and she'd be spending days contact tracing.

Aw,

I had pretty mild reactions to all three shots. Just a little bit of a headache. I got my flu shot and COVID booster on the same day, and the sore arm was the worst of it.
Yeah, I'm just one of the lucky ones I guess. My parents are in their mid-70s and haven't had reactions like mine. I wake up around 2 am with every muscle in my body sore, as if I'd run a marathon the day before (which, I assure you, I hadn't. ) And then the high fever gives me intense shivers whenever I try to get off the couch long enough to do anything. It was a pretty pathetic scene around here, lemme tell ya.

Yeah, I'm just one of the lucky ones I guess. My parents are in their mid-70s and haven't had reactions like mine. I wake up around 2 am with every muscle in my body sore, as if I'd run a marathon the day before (which, I assure you, I hadn't. ) And then the high fever gives me intense shivers whenever I try to get off the couch long enough to do anything. It was a pretty pathetic scene around here, lemme tell ya.
Within my family it's been a wide range of symptoms from "basically nothing" to down and out sick for like three days.

I plan on getting the booster shot as soon as it's available. Supposedly? the Moderna booster vaccine will be half strength, so hopeful it won't hit me so hard like it did last time.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've noticed that of the people I know who have gotten the booster shot, the ones who seem to be having the worst side effects are the people who got the J&J shot first, and are now getting a different shot for the booster.

I'm getting my booster this evening, so if it's like my previous shots, I'll feel pretty terrible tomorrow but basically fine by Thanksgiving. Unless someone asks me to help out then, in which case my symptoms could linger.

It's been about six months since my vaccination, and I'm thinking of getting a booster soon.

I probably would have already but there's a lot going on over the next few weeks so it would be a real problem to feel like crap for a few days. Obviously that's something you just deal with for the vaccine initially, but since it's not entirely clear what kind of difference the booster makes, I'm going to try to find a convenient time to risk that.

I haven't really looked into the specifics, but if it's as easy as the first one (eventually) was, and only requires one shot, then it should be about as pleasant as these kinds of things can be.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Covid cases are skyrocketing in Switzerland. To be fair, we have a very powerful and very wealthy extreme-right, heavily campaigning in favor of the disease (against vaccines, against sanitary measures, etc). We're used to them saturating public spaces with their costly racist propaganda, but they recently switched the rhetoric from "oh noes my neighbor has an accent" to "oh noes my doctor has a needle". Always the good fight (last year it was "oh noes the gays are kissing", 50 years ago it was "oh noes the women are voting"). In the meantime, hospitals are starting to fill up again with Real Men™ gasping for air, diverting resources from the unwillingly ill. But I doubt it will reach the same levels as the previous years. I expect hospitals to cope better this time, and Covid cases to reach a lower ceiling - at least in the most progressive/vaccinated cantons of the country (as charts correlations already tend to show).

Covid cases are skyrocketing in Switzerland. To be fair, we have a very powerful and very wealthy extreme-right, heavily campaigning in favor of the disease (against vaccines, against sanitary measures, etc). We're used to them saturating public spaces with their costly racist propaganda, but they recently switched the rhetoric from "oh noes my neighbor has an accent" to "oh noes my doctor has a needle". Always the good fight (last year it was "oh noes the gays are kissing", 50 years ago it was "oh noes the women are voting"). In the meantime, hospitals are starting to fill up again with Real Men™ gasping for air, diverting resources from the unwillingly ill. But I doubt it will reach the same levels as the previous years. I expect hospitals to cope better this time, and Covid cases to reach a lower ceiling - at least in the most progressive/vaccinated cantons of the country (as charts correlations already tend to show).
I always assumed that Switzerland was very normal & neutral. Had no idea there are weirdos there like we have.

I think it's pretty common for people to think of other countries (particularly Americans thinking of European countries) as being more sophisticated or simply above certain basic human failings. We only get local news where we live, so we're at quite a remove from the day-to-day living of other places and the annoyances and challenges of living there. But any sizable group of people will have major cultural problems: they're just different problems than ours. We just see that they don't (or, more likely, don't seem to) have problem X, which we do, and the problem Y they do have doesn't even register because it's not much of a problem for us. So the place simply seems better, full stop.

The grass is always greener in Greenland, in other words.

I think it's pretty common for people to think of other countries (particularly Americans thinking of European countries) as being more sophisticated or simply above certain basic human failings. We only get local news where we live, so we're at quite a remove from the day-to-day living of other places and the annoyances and challenges of living there. But any sizable group of people will have major cultural problems: they're just different problems than ours. We just see that they don't (or, more likely, don't seem to) have problem X, which we do, and the problem Y they do have doesn't even register because it's not much of a problem for us. So the place simply seems better, full stop.

The grass is always greener in Greenland, in other words.
My above comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I take your point.

I actually feel safer here in terms of COVID than any European country I can think of, including my own.

Yeah, we've mucked up any number of things here but the vaccine production and availability has been exceptional, at least.
Yes, I do feel we’re getting somewhere here. Not sure where we’re getting, but we’re definitely chugging along.

I read about Italy's COVID parties earlier this week, and couldn't decide if I was relieved or disheartened to learn that the US is not the only nation dealing with boneheads.
I think I read yesterday in the NY Times that the people of Austria are very angry about their lockdown.

I still cannot believe people can get themselves in a tizzy when asked to wear a mask. What is the big deal!