Alec Baldwin accidentally kills crew member with prop gun

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
The only person we should be taking swipes at is the idiot that brought live ammo to a movie set and, if it's not the same person, the idiot that left live ammo in a gun on a movie set.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I wasn’t deciding anything, really, but rather suggesting.
I don’t think there’s any issue with anyone trying to cool things down. Wether a mod or not. Agreed?
Imagine if everyone was moderating. It’s subjective as to whether a thread needs cooling down. Best to leave it to the moderators IMO.

That's right. Play dumb. I have no idea where those bullets came from. They must have gotten in there all by themselves.
Nothing more irritating than a pro-gun person encouraging non-gun people to show contempt to the dangers of deadly weapons.

I think the best part about my job is just showing people who are normally kind of freaked out by guns how safe they can be and how they're not really problematic unless put in the wrong hands
It's this sort of thinking that encourages posing and pointing and pranking and generally playing. "Don't freak, it's totally safe. Trust me."

You don't pack your parachute drunk, you don't eat BBQ wings while operating a Sawzall, you pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with gun safety.

Someone somewhere in this thread (don’t have time to plow through it) said the film production was on the cheap side. Turns out insurance for a movie is two-part. This movie only bought the first part & declined to purchase the 2nd part, which is the completion bond. A completion bond is needed to finish a movie that has run into trouble like this one. So if this movie never sees the light of day (and, to me, it looks like a really dumb movie) the $6,000,000 already put up will be lost.

Also, this just in from the armorer’s attorneys: “Hannah was hired on two positions on this film, which made it extremely difficult to focus on her job as an armorer.” Oh, well, that’s her off the hook then.

You ready? You look ready.
Also, this just in from the armorer’s attorneys: “Hannah was hired on two positions on this film, which made it extremely difficult to focus on her job as an armorer.” Oh, well, that’s her off the hook then.
I find it suspicious they didn’t give the title or work aspect of the other position. Like if it was something that involved them running all over the set I could see a situation in which they are put in a tough place. But, that aside, let the other position slip in performance: not the armourer side.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
"Control." "Exploit." You make it sound as if people have no agency in this, and are helpless sheep in the face of the sheer ideological cunning of...what?
Just to clarify this point of communication. I didn't mean it as a "narrative [in order to] control and exploit [people]" but as the narrative itself being controlled and exploited (reframed in order to serve as a vehicle for outside, irrelevant advocacies - for the anecdote, looks like elsewhere the left-side coraxes are busy doing the same through the "it proves there's too many guns in movies" angle).

Also, it's not about tracking people from board to board, but about taking in account the noise surrounding an echo chamber in general. A simple awareness of the cultural environment and the rhetorics and talking points of opposing currents suffice to spot what is dragged into a discussion and from where, even if structurally (failing that, the discussions that, as I mentioned, seek the divergence upstream often reveal what it is really about and how far it is from the pretend subject of discussion - and why arguments about this pretext of discussion won't change any posture rooted elsewhere). Distinguishing between purely militant manipulative rhetorics and the, let's say, academic, constructive co-building of understanding that it claims to be.

But of course, these distinctions are easier to make the more salient an ideological rhetoric is in contrast to the local baseline "common understanding". "Ideology" is the other person's ideology (see Corax's multi-themed political militantism, and his weird "a-ha your politics are SHOWING" when people disagree). That's the local subjectivity of "unhinged" vs "common sense". And I've already expressed my perception of this forum's baseline (a place where "oh noes, men are disappearing from movies" can be -and for some must be- a valid implicit premise of discussion). It's just, in my eyes, not worth, say, Jinnistan's ping-ponging with Corax.

My point is simply that you have all the required tools at your disposal to go beyond form/content obfuscations. But I also know internet boards are essentially about form (keep it looking like a discussion and it's fine, disrupt it by showing how it isn't one -or how you're aware it isn't one- and, well, you're not "foruming").

This is not the language of "quota" but of icing on the cake. And I have been on enough hiring committees to know that an equally qualified female candidate is sometimes sorted higher than a male candidate in the hopes of righting wrongs. And there is cultural pressure on the industry. They are asked, "Where are your female directors?", "Where are your black super heroes?", "Why are there so few POC nominated for the Academy Awards?", etc. If you fear you might face scrutiny, it's not a bad idea to be willing to be flexible in hiring over and above mere "paper merit."

Like I stated I don't see her being a woman being a factor in her hiring as much as who her father is. I may be proven wrong and if so, so be it. As far as hiring practices and this is all I'm going to say about it because I don't think it pertains to this case, if equally qualified, why wouldn't you want some diversity? I have no problem with a shop hiring an equally qualified woman or POC over a white dude for the sake of diversity, provided they're equally qualified. I don't think Hannah was qualified. If you want to hire somebody who isn't qualified, sometimes ending with horrible results, that's your business, but then prepare to deal with any potential fallout.

I think nepotism is the key variable here. And keep in mind that a job hire is a game of inches. If your dad gets your foot in the door, you get to cut in line in front of a lot of applicants (via your dad's professional network) and you have the "halo" of perceived quality attached to his name. All others things being equal, that's a hell of an inequality for a "nobody" to defeat.

Right, but we're not speculating that he had a tantrum and insisted that his daughter be hired. Rather, his name is a nice coattail to ride. A small advantage in a race is the difference between winning and losing.
Very aware of how nepotism works. It can suck if you're on the wrong end of it.

These are all good questions and we really don't know. However, if I am in the industry and I respect Thell Reed and trust and if someone I meet carries his name and his training, that has a psychological effect on me (warranted or not). It's a source of favorable bias. If martial arts teacher, for example, could convincingly establish that s/he trained under Bruce Lee in the 1970s, that teacher would have a sort of "halo" via the stamp of quality, a seal of approval, an implicit holy ectoplasm, a sloppy translative emotional logic of social bonds. It's a sort of "shine."
I can see how she got her first job as armorer, probably because of her dad, but she had a track record, albeit small, by the time Rust went into production and it wasn't very good. Red flags were raised.

But this does establish that the "give a kid a break" heuristic is something recognize and are wiling, to some extent, to embrace.
I am all for second chances, especially for young people because part of growing up is making mistakes and learning from them. If you make mistakes and there isn't any sort of downside/punishment to your mistakes you'll never learn. It appears she skated on a few things that were pretty serious, which is never good. She should not have been hired for this position if the reports from her last film are true, and I'm sure the folks in the know, know if they're true or not. If true, she should have been put into some version of a timeout. Don't give her another job right away with the same responsibilities and expect different results. If this was her dream job and she really wants to be in the biz in this capacity she would wait it out. If not, see ya later.

Sure. And that is what is so confusing about this case. What went sideways that danger signals were not effective?
Right and the AD, Dave Halls, was an experienced AD. Total failure on his part as well. Was Souza gone and Halls in charge that day? I have a feeling there was a lot of stress and tension on that set. Not a good working environment, imo. There's going to be a lot of finger pointing, which seems to have already started, as this unfolds.

Like I stated I don't see her being a woman being a factor in her hiring as much as who her father is. I may be proven wrong and if so, so be it.
If you are proven wrong on this point, then so am I; I am entirely in agreement that this looks like classic nepotism.

There might be little add-ons (icing on the cake) such as gender and youth (and who knows what else), but those are not erosive to this prime computation.

As far as hiring practices and this is all I'm going to say about it because I don't think it pertains to this case, if equally qualified, why wouldn't you want some diversity?
I would conduct a second interview to attempt to break the tie. "Well, this one has arbitrary physiological feature X" is a poor method of tie-breaking. "But Jasmine has the largest feet out of any our candidates!"

As it stands, we will probably be psychologically biased in favor of the female candidate (if not because we are emotionally committed toward progressivist ideals, then because screaming mobs with blue checkmarks carry the whip for those who are not), so we will probably default to gender as a tie-breaker anyway.

And it is ONLY IF there is no separation on merit, that a secondary consideration should be brought in. Hmm, here is a proposal for a secondary consideration: don't hire someone because they are the child of someone famous. Let us commit to the diversity of people outside of the tribe of rich elites who dominate the industry. Thus, I would prefer to hire a person of color, or woman, or LGBT, or mere white male, who did not enjoy the unearned privilege of being placed at the head of the line.

I have no problem with a shop hiring an equally qualified woman or POC over a white dude for the sake of diversity, provided they're equally qualified.
The tie-breaker can drift towards rule of thumb to defacto rule. Hiring can be a stressful process. You always feel bad for the candidate who doesn't get the job. As it stands, tie-breakers already provide a convenient objective means to extract oneself from the messy process of analysis of merit. And you can always feel good about increasing diversity...

And (again) what of other kinds of diversity? What of diversity of thought, of experience, of wealth, of class? Colleges and universities are now at 60/40 to 65/35 split favoring women. Would you grant admission/scholarship to the equally qualified woman in this context? Or would you look exclusively to merit? Or would you favor the man?

African Americans are about 13% of the U.S. population. What if your shop is already at 15% African American? Would this be adequate or would you need to do more to make up for the sins of the past or the perceived sins of other contemporary shops? Where do you draw the line for your hiring practices? Or do you?

I don't think Hannah was qualified. If you want to hire somebody who isn't qualified, sometimes ending with horrible results, that's your business, but then prepare to deal with any potential fallout.
And that is why there are limits to growth for diversity, at least in some sectors. If people die if you aren't the most qualified, then it is better to have a member of the oppressor/overprivileged/overrepresented class in that role, as this is preferable to a higher risk of death and destruction.

Very aware of how nepotism works. It can suck if you're on the wrong end of it.
I agree. So why not use this as your first "tie-breaker." What of diversity for people who are not part of the community?

I can see how she got her first job as armorer, probably because of her dad, but she had a track record, albeit small, by the time Rust went into production and it wasn't very good. Red flags were raised.
And that is what really makes me scratch my head. Even Nic Cage saw that something was wrong, but the producers of Rust didn't, even after two negligent discharges on their own set?

I am all for second chances, especially for young people because part of growing up is making mistakes and learning from them. If you make mistakes and there isn't any sort of downside/punishment to your mistakes you'll never learn. It appears she skated on a few things that were pretty serious, which is never good.
Give a kid a break, right?

Their is a great story about Bob Hoover (legendary combat pilot and test pilot, basically a Chuck Yeager) who almost died when a kid put jet fuel in his WWII fighter during an airshow. The kid was broken up emotionally and Hoover took mercy on him. He figured the kid learned his lesson and insisted that that person always fuel his planes from now on when he visited that airfield, saving his job.

How can you not love that story? How can we not love second chances? I don't disagree, but we do have to recognize that it is a source of bias in the case of a true goofball.

She should not have been hired for this position if the reports from her last film are true, and I'm sure the folks in the know, know if they're true or not. If true, she should have been put into some version of a timeout. Don't give her another job right away with the same responsibilities and expect different results. If this was her dream job and she really wants to be in the biz in this capacity she would wait it out. If not, see ya later.
Sure. Sounds good to me.

Right and the AD, Dave Halls, was an experienced AD. Total failure on his part as well. Was Souza gone and Halls in charge that day? I have a feeling there was a lot of stress and tension on that set. Not a good working environment, imo. There's going to be a lot of finger pointing, which seems to have already started, as this unfolds.
But that finger pointing doesn't simply divide out. It is cumulative negligence and all these parties can and should be held appropriately responsible, including the person who pulled the trigger, right?

Baldwin really needs to stop talking and tweeting.

We should note one marked distinction here. I have not personally and repeatedly attacked Yoda in this thread. Jinnistan has gone on tilt and attacked the ref. I have accepted my flags, because he's the ref.

Yes, I have been modded by Yoda in this thread (I had a post removed that made a joke at Jinnistan's expense). Yoda did not mention to you that he modded me, because he is not playing to the crowd here -- but trying to keep the forum on an even keel. You can speculate about my secret aims or Trojan Horses or my magical ability to "act reasonable" while other people are driven to madness by my words (all of this sounds like an excuse for personal intemperance - "He made me do it!", whatever), but you don't attack the ref. And when I did not serve as an object for his rage, other people did. You're learning about more than just me.

I was honestly not trying to **** post you. If I misrepresented your intentions, it was mostly just to take the piss out of you. And put J's frustrations into a bit of context. I actually assumed you would probably agree with the general thrust of what I was saying in that you're always thirsting for some kind of debate, and you have ways of getting what you want. Especially considering you were usually at the other end of the political spectrum in previous forum and I imagine it was pretty easy to encourage it. I've certainly taken the bait enough times.

As much as I disagree with almost everything you say, I don't actually have anything against you....except your opinions. But that's okay. I guess. So I apologize if I spoke incorrectly on your behalf.

I guess what I'm saying, is I'm just sick and tired of fighting with the universe. And, maybe, one of these days you will be too.

#YarnTruce

I was honestly not trying to **** post you. If I misrepresented your intentions, it was mostly just to take the piss out of you.

I ain't mad at ya.

And put J's frustrations into a bit of context.

J has a bit of target fixation. From ancient grudge, we break to new mutiny. J tracks me into new threads, making civil discourse unclean.

He has held a grudge across two now-dead forums (RT and Corrie). He has found me again and will not let go, now going so far as to attack others.

As much as I disagree with almost everything you say, I don't actually have anything against you....except your opinions.

And I don't have anything against you. Indeed, I don't even know your opinions, apart from your assurance that we're opposed.

But that's okay. I guess. So I apologize if I spoke incorrectly on your behalf.
Nothing for which you need apologize.

And that is what really makes me scratch my head. Even Nic Cage saw that something was wrong, but the producers of Rust didn't, even after two negligent discharges on their own set?

Yeah, it's pretty nuts.

Give a kid a break, right?

Sometimes. Each situation is unique. I've already stated how I would have handled this situation.

But that finger pointing doesn't simply divide out. It is cumulative negligence and all these parties can and should be held appropriately responsible, including the person who pulled the trigger, right?

I would agree. I think Hannah, David and Alec all bear responsibility, with Alec being the least responsible with the "facts" we have now. That could change as more info comes out.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I think Hannah, David and Alec all bear responsibility, with Alec being the least responsible with the "facts" we have now. That could change as more info comes out.

I don't think it's normally the responsibility for an assistant director to check the safety of firearms. That responsibility falls on the armorer.

I would agree. I think Hannah, David and Alec all bear responsibility, with Alec being the least responsible with the "facts" we have now. That could change as more info comes out.
That Baldwin is a corporate/composite agent in this circumstance (both actor and producer) gives him more power, information, and responsibility as the person wearing both of those hats. What did Baldwin the producer know? And should that have informed what Baldwin the actor did?

I don't know, but man he needs to stop tweeting and talking as everything he says can be used against him in court.

My intuition (which is informed by my breakfast burrito moreso than my access to all of the relevant facts) tells me that he is appropriately guilty of a misdemeanor as an actor (at most) and perhaps civil damages as a producer, but I don't know. The only thing I know to a certainty is that if he had followed the 4 Rules, there would not have been a tragedy and that says something favor of the rules.

I am particularly troubled that the person who handed off the gun apparently opened the gate and saw that the cylinders were not empty. How stupid do you have to be to not pause and eject those rounds. You don't have to know the difference between a blank and an empty cartridge and a live round if the gun doesn't have ANY rounds of ANY kind in it. And if you do know the difference, why don't you eject the cartridges to confirm that they are ALL empty cartridges (not merely blanks, which can still kill, and not certainly not live rounds)? And again, why would Baldwin need empty cartridges to practice his cross-draw? Just empty the damned gun already!

USA TODAY
Alec Baldwin says he's in 'constant contact' with Halyna Hutchins' family: 'She was my friend'

Fox News
Alec Baldwin and family post Halloween costume pictures after deadly 'Rust' shooting

that is what i call cocodrile's tears !!!!!

by the way, square head is dull! Y***!!!!

I don't think it's normally the responsibility for an assistant director to check the safety of firearms. That responsibility falls on the armorer.
Yeah it falls on the armorer but my understanding is the AD is responsible for overall safety of cast and crew on set.

"Safety. Safety is a priority on any film set and the first AD must also ensure that all health and safety standards are met. Each department has different precautions to ensure that cast and crew members aren’t in danger. The first AD oversees each department and is ultimately responsible for ensuring that each department head is maintaining a safe workspace." https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-a-first-assistant-director-job-description-and-responsibilities-of-the-1st-ad-on-a-film-set#the-responsibilities-of-a-first-assistant-director

Also:

"Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer for the film "Rust," says she checked the ammunition prior to Alec Baldwin being given the gun and "ensured they were not 'hot' rounds." But assistant director David Halls, who was supposed to check her work, admitted that he didn't check all her work." https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...224803705.html

He was also fired from a previous production for having a firearm go off unexpectedly. https://variety.com/2021/film/news/r...ns-1235097307/ This production was a total **** show. Plenty of blame to go around.

Yeah it falls on the armorer but my understanding is the AD is responsible for overall safety of cast and crew on set.

"Safety. Safety is a priority on any film set and the first AD must also ensure that all health and safety standards are met. Each department has different precautions to ensure that cast and crew members aren’t in danger. The first AD oversees each department and is ultimately responsible for ensuring that each department head is maintaining a safe workspace." https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-a-first-assistant-director-job-description-and-responsibilities-of-the-1st-ad-on-a-film-set#the-responsibilities-of-a-first-assistant-director

Also:

"Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer for the film "Rust," says she checked the ammunition prior to Alec Baldwin being given the gun and "ensured they were not 'hot' rounds." But assistant director David Halls, who was supposed to check her work, admitted that he didn't check all her work." https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...224803705.html

He was also fired from a previous production for having a firearm go off unexpectedly. https://variety.com/2021/film/news/r...ns-1235097307/ This production was a total **** show. Plenty of blame to go around.
Bolded the important bits...

Halls is responsible. And, in my recent posts I pointed out:
He wasn't just fired when a gun went off... he was fired from a previous movie, because someone actually got shot on the set.

I will put money on Halls being at fault.

The Baldwin shooting is because he took a random gun from the rack while the prop-masters' backs were turned, told Baldwin it was safe, and told him to use it.
The exact same circumstances he caused behind the previous shooting.

This is the same guy who caused a mass walk-out on set because of his behaviour, and also caused numerous safety complaints in the weeks leading up to Hutchins' death.

Bolded the important bits...

Halls is responsible. And, in my recent posts I pointed out:
He wasn't just fired when a gun went off... he was fired from a previous movie, because someone actually got shot on the set.

I will put money on Halls being at fault...
With Hall's past behavior as an AD, I'll bet he's an ass**** too.

I find it suspicious they didn’t give the title or work aspect of the other position. Like if it was something that involved them running all over the set I could see a situation in which they are put in a tough place. But, that aside, let the other position slip in performance: not the armourer side.
They did. Props.