donniedarko- Top 100 movies 2014.

→ in
Tools    

I was originally planning on finishing this by the end of 2014, now I'm not to sure about 2015

70. Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (Zenovich, 2008)

Even if I see 30 films better than this one, I do not think I could ever throw this off my top 100. Starting with a rather confrontational interview of Polanski with Rosemary's Baby theme song playing eerily in the background, this true to the facts documentary gripped my attention all the way through. It examines the two most scandalous affairs of Polanski's life, the murder of his wife and his later cases of child molestation. The film is great in utilizing Polanski's films to tell the story, whether it's Rosemary's Baby connecting to the devil and the devil connecting to the two events- or if it's a very interesting connection the prosecutor made about loss of innocence on water in Polanski's films, it's all done brilliantly. Speaking of the prosecutor of Polanski's court case, I was very shocked to see him in this film. He appears to be an extremely sincere and intelligent man, as he and the film makers examine the corruption of the judge in the high profile case. There's one moment where he says if he was in the position of the director Polanski he would have fled too. Alongside testimony's from the victim herself, that might be the most powerful moment. A must watch for the fans and haters of one of the most talented directors, Roman Polanski.

69. Crimes and Misdemeanors (W. Allen, 1989)

This is the other Woody Allen great that I've been looking for, after watching Midnight in Paris and Annie Hall a few years ago, the rest of the Woody Allen works I've seen have ranged from near awful to very good. But none have been great, like Crimes and Misdemeanors. The Woody Allen scenes were consistently hilarious, crammed with witty one liners, and priceless moments. My favorite is when Woody Allen shows the final product for the documentary he's been making for and about his smug brother in law, in which he clips in a roaring Mussolini. Which is another unique aspect this film accomplished, in it's modern recreations of black and white movies, showing clips of the scene getting recreated moments after-usually at a theater.

The more dramatic Martin Landua plot didn't put me in a solemn mood, that Woody Allen was trying to create. This is the one aspect of this film that didn't get accomplished in my viewing experience. The dilemmas were gripping, and the spiritual flashbacks were intriguing, but I lacked empathy in these scenes. I even felt more towards Woody Allen in his envy towards his brother-in-law, and his desire for Halley (Mia Farrow). Both stories cover a different stage of an affair, with much different results, and begs the question of which one got it better.

The film editing is stellar, done by Susan E Morse, and Woody Allen directs another awesome comedy

68. Fright Night (Holland, 1985)

Long time favorite of mine. A perfect mix of horror and comedy- which is a sub-genre that I really enjoy. Sure it's cheesy watching it now, but it's still as fun as it was in 1985. Not much else to say about this one, just that it's about enjoyable as it gets.

Lord High Filmquisitor
So I just started looking through your list and I have to say that your selections are great on the whole, my favorite of which so far being The Godfather, Black Swan and Drive. Some don't do a whole lot for me (like Ratatouille or Fright Night), but I haven't outright disliked any so far.

I'm a fan of Polanski's films, and I think the guy has lived a very dramatic life, to say the least, so I'm interested in seeing Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, despite my general disinterest in most documentaries.

I haven't seen Crimes and Misdemeanors, but I know it's considered one of Allen's best, so I'll get around to it at some point.

I feel like the only person on the forum who hasn't seen Fright Night. That's a popular favorite on here.

Master of My Domain
I've only seen one film from Roman Polasnki and I'm quite a fan (Rosemary's Baby, one of the only films in the genre that I like). I had always had the desire to check out more of films, but always missed the timing.

Not a fan of Woody Allen but Crimes and Misdemeanors I have to agree that its a masterpiece, far more better than the overrated Annie Hall.

Like Captain Spaulding I tend to have not watched MoFo cult films. Since its the mix of comedy and horror is something that I think is brilliant but not reviewed well, I'll check it out. I wish somebody had nominated it for the Horror Hall of Fame.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I feel like the only person on the forum who hasn't seen Fright Night. That's a popular favorite on here.

You must be the only person here who hasn't seen Fright Night. I hate horror movies, and even I've seen it. (Both the original 1985 version with Chris Sarandon and Roddy McDowall, and the 2011 remake with Colin Farrell.)

I haven't seen Fright Night either, I've seen the remake which was okay. In no rush to watch the original.

I watched the original because a few people on here love it and I was underwhelmed. Sure some parts were fun, but it wasn't great like I was expecting and it's not something I'll ever love or watch over and over.

Crimes and Misdemeanors is brilliant and my favourite Woody Allen film I have seen so far. I think Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired is a greatly educational documentary that everyone should watch, but I have difficult 'rating' it.