shelley duvall

Tools    

Why so many people think that her performance in Shining was terrible?Well,I haven't seen Shining in a while but as I remember,her acting was pretty good.

I loved it as a kid too, watched it a dozen times. I wish I owned the dvd to see how stupid I was too.
I watched Suburban Commando a couple years ago just to see Shelley. I'm sure it will disappoint your childhood memories but, well, at least it's better than 3 Ninjas.

Anyway, yes Hitchfan, I too love Shelley Duvall.

Do yourself a favor and track down Brewster McCloud.

Why so many people think that her performance in Shining was terrible?Well,I haven't seen Shining in a while but as I remember,her acting was pretty good.
Kubrick really put her through the wringer on that one. I've heard that her hair even started falling out.

I've seen her on the Making Of saying that her hair was falling out.

She grabs a handful of hair and wrenches it as hard as she can and like, two hairs come out. "Look!" she says "Look! My hair is falling out!"

Kubrick is standing behind her shaking his head and laughing.

She is the reason the Shining isn't a perfect film. So no thumbs up from me.

I haven't seen enough of her work to be able to really speak on her ability as an actress, to be perfectly honest. The Shining and her bit-part appearances in Annie Hall and McCabe and Mrs Miller are really all I've seen of her. I think she's rather good in The Shining. I've been meaning to check out 3 Women for a while and as there's a nice looking Criterion out now, I'm sure I'll get to it at some point.

Also: Hello, I'm Shelly Duvall.

I thought she was great in 3 WOMEN and NASHVILLE...I found her a little annoying in THE SHINING though. Then again, that just might stem from the fact that the film SO belongs to Nicholson that everything else becomes wallpaper.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Her performance in The Shining is really misunderstood and cops too much flack. She is a caricature, projecting on the borderline hilarious and absurd, hence her "animated" acting. That and Kubrick really tormented her, so some of the tears we saw in the film were real.

I haven't seen The Shinning, but I thought she was pretty good in McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Brewster McCloud. She isn't great, but I don't quite get why she's so unpopular.

Also, if she cut off her eyelashes, she could actually look attractive.

If you scour the internet for info about what Shelley Duvall's up to these days, you'll find stories about how Shelley is living alone somewhere in seclusion and has apparently lost her marbles:

Shelly Duvall lives in our little town and she's kinda nutty. She comes into my store everyday and it's always interesting!

Two days ago she stopped me in the parking lot to tell me that she is missing her green t-shirt and that she hasn't seen it in a few days. In the meantime she has this HUGE lizard sitting on the dash of her car, so I asked her about the lizard and she told me that people are feeding lizards pennies and that that is criminal and should be prosecuted! Later she went into the store and told one of the girls that she is not a turkey or a chicken and that people should quit sticking things in her.

One day she told a customer that people were digging tunnels under her property. So the guy told her that she should call the police, and she said,"That's who's doing it!"
She picks up a bottle of Starbucks frappacino (-sp), which normally she'll get one everyday, but this day she looked at it and said,"This is dog's milk! I'm not drinking dog's milk!"

Somedays she's totally lucid and other days...
ENQUIRER:

The Shining star Shelley Duvall thinks "aliens are living in her body" and WORSE!

A disheveled and confused-looking Shelley Duvall - star of the classic horror movie The Shining - is trapped in her own living nightmare, and concerned neighbors in her tiny Texas town think she "desperately needs help."

The once reed-thin actress has packed on about 75 pounds since her Hollywood glory days and lives the life of a near-recluse in a ramshackle home off a dirt road outside Blanco, Texas.

The ENQUIRER visited the town of 1,500, where residents tell a sad story about the former Hollywood star. Friends and neighbors say Shelley is an odd woman who often appears out of touch with reality. She flashes her car lights at night to communicate with space aliens, believes a hole in her backyard is a portal to another dimension and lives in fear of aliens who are out to get her.

At age 60, Shelley still clings to her dream of returning to acting, though her last movie role was in 2002.

"Shelley wanders around town by herself, looking disheveled, strange and, to be honest, totally crazy. She mutters to herself and talks about aliens living in her body," a Blanco resident told THE ENQUIRER.

Despite being able to carry on a completely lucid in-person interview Duvall, recalls fondly her Hollywood days and still aspires to what most actors want -their next part.

"I would love to go back to acting if it was the right role," Shelley said.

After a killer earthquake struck Los Angeles in 1994, Duvall fled Hollywood back home to Texas.

Yet the one time Stanley Kubrick star who won Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival in 1977 for Three Women is now someone local Dairy Queen employees shy away from.

A hardware store source told The ENQUIRER once Shelley asked for dirt and boards to board up a hole in her backyard.

"She said, 'That's a portal into another dimension. That's where the aliens are coming in,' " the source recalled.

"Shelley is…tragic. A virtual recluse, wandering about Blanco in a fog," another source said.

"She desperately needs help."

She was great in The Shining. Good actress.

But I always think of her as Olive Oil from Popeye unfortunately!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TOMORROW on DR. PHIL:

Jesus, she looks awful. And she sounds like she's lost it, or much sadder is acting like she's lost it because she is struggling . So depressing.

I hate Dr Phil because his show always gives publicity to the worst kinds of people (not Shelley i'm talking about BS charlatans here) but when i watch it he's always completely on point and he usually denounces the guest for what they are.