Least favorite movie of favorite director

Tools    

Watch Hard Target, that should take Broken Arrow's place. Of course, I'd place Face/off as his worst, but that's probably because I avoided MI:2, Payback and Windtalkers.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
You mean Paycheck? Yeah, that one is pretty bad. I change out Broken Arrow for Paycheck. It was so bad I didn't even remember he directed it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Ang Lee - The Ice Storm
Baz Luhrmann - Australia
Alfred Hitchcock - Frenzy
The Wachowskis - The Matrix Revolutions
Ridley Scott - Kingdom of Heaven

Ang Lee - The Ice Storm
Baz Luhrmann - Australia
Alfred Hitchcock - Frenzy
The Wachowskis - The Matrix Revolutions
Ridley Scott - Kingdom of Heaven
Wow! The Ice Storm and Frenzy? Really? Is that because you've not seen many others they've made or do you just really dislike those? I love those two films and would put them among my favourites for each director.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Wow! The Ice Storm and Frenzy? Really? Is that because you've not seen many others they've made or do you just really dislike those? I love those two films and would put them among my favourites for each director.
My thoughts to a T. I love both of those movies. Frenzy in particular.

Well, I haven't watched all the movies from all my favorite directors, but considering the worst among those that I have watched would be:

Miyazaki - Castle of Cagliostro

Kubrick - Spartacus (haven't watched Killer's Kiss yet)

Tarkosvky - Ivan's Childhood
(though, technically, it is not a fully Tarkovsky film as he didn't have full creative control)

Generally, I still think that the worst movies of favorite directors are still great. They are my favorites partly because they tend to produce stuff of very high average quality with great consistency.

Kubrick - Barry Lyndon

Well, I haven't watched all the movies from all my favorite directors, but considering the worst among those that I have watched would be:

Miyazaki - Castle of Cagliostro
You give a film a rating of 4.5, and you consider that to be the worst from your favourite director?

For me, a 4.5 rated movie = great movie, and one that would in all likelihood make my top 100 list. Perhaps I'm just too strict when it comes to ratings. I still haven't seen any Miyazaki film btw, but I plan to see Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke soon, and then I might check out his other works.

You give a film a rating of 4.5, and you consider that to be the worst from your favourite director?
Like he said, sometimes even the worst films from your favorite director are still good/great.

In my case, I think Nostalghia is Andrei Tarkovsky's worst film, but I would still give it a 9/10.

He made 10 movies. I rate
, about 7-8 of these movies.

The Castle of Cagliostro is considered by some critics to be single greatest animated film ever made. It topped a ranking of animated films made by animation critics in 2010.

Though, I think one could make this case for almost every single Miyazaki film (they tend to cycle around the rankings of greatest animated films).

For me, a 4.5 rated movie = great movie, and one that would in all likelihood make my top 100 list. Perhaps I'm just too strict when it comes to ratings. I still haven't seen any Miyazaki film btw, but I plan to see Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke soon, and then I might check out his other works.
All Miyazaki films belong to my top 100 except this. I have about 70 movies that I remember watching which I would rate

I agree, for me of my favorite directors, there worse films are still utter crap than me. Maybe it's because I'm kind of strict rater, but I just feel like each director has a bad work

This is what my answer was for the thread:
other than Polanskis Fearless Vampire Killers here are some others of my least favorites from my favorites

Lynch- The Grandmother
Kubrick- Killers Kiss
Hitchcock- Number Seventeen
Bergman- The Silence
I'd rate all those movies from a
to a
-

But the Silence is such an interesting work and brings Bergman's religious extrapolations of Through a Glass Darkly and Winter Light to a startling conclusion. I really need to watch that trilogy again.

It all clicked once I read some essays on it, really.

Django Unchained is my least favorite Tarantino film at the moment and I still believe it's very good.

Kubrick and Killer's Kiss is another good one I've seen mentioned in here. I think it's enjoyable, maybe even good, but not particularly so. At least it's short.

I agree, for me of my favorite directors, there worse films are still utter crap than me. Maybe it's because I'm kind of strict rater, but I just feel like each director has a bad work
There are perfectionist directors. Tarkovsky made only 7 films over a 25 year period while Miyazaki, only 10 movies over a 30 year period. They made each movie with care and attention to detail.

Indeed, all Miyazaki's work has been praised by critics as even my pick for his worst has been voted by anime critics in 2010 as the single greatest animation of all time. Another one that I though was bad was Porco Rosso, but on a second viewing I understood it better and I upgraded its rating to
and now I rate it higher than classics such as The Godfather and Pulp Fiction.

I haven't seem Kubrick's worst film (according to general opinion), so my least favorite of his is still a great movie as well, Spartacus.

Directors who made dozens of movies will tend to have tons of bad ones (i.e. Spielberg). While great directors who made few movies tend to have only good stuff. But there are few people who fit the definition of a great director that made few movies and in this case all their work is "a winner".

I noticed that lots of people list Stanley Kubrick, and surprisingly include all sorts of his movies - including Spartacus, Dr Strangelove, The Killing and Eyes Wide Shut - as their least favorite of his.

I didn't see that anyone chose Barry Lyndon as their least favorite of Kubrick's. Is this because you all have seen it and liked it? Or because not many have bothered to watch this one?

I recently tried to watch it again. I really enjoyed Barry Lyndon's peripatetic journey up to the time he got married - and then it dragged. Having already watched it a couple of times, I fast-forwarded to the final duel.

Kubrick tends to make lengthy movies, but I can't think of another one that has such a lengthy lull in it. I smiled at the childhood memory of a Mad Magazine spoof of the movie entitled Borey London.

- ooops, I stand corrected. ebrown, a few posts above cites Barry Lyndon