Movie Tab II

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Last evening, I watched the first 30 min of The Brothers Grimm before diving for the remote and rescuing myself. E. Gads. Best I've ever liked Matt Damon, but that's not saying much really.

Did you watch this on tv the other day? lol It was playing on like 6 channels!
lol, on DVD but that's funny cause I noticed that myself. I actually put it in the dvd player, went on to the computer for a bit more with my back turned to the t.v., then I heard what sounded like a very interesting program about landing on the moon. It was the intro of the film but I didn't know that myself. So I turn my head around to look to see what it was about, then I see Tom Hanks and Kevin Bacon showing up there. I'm like "wtf.....this is Apollo 13".
I chuckled to myself a bit, then played the DVD about 15 minutes later.
I think the one I spotted was on CBC around 9pm. But you say more than one station huh. Weird heheh.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Session 9 - innnnnteresting. Suspense/thriller about a work crew who go to clean up an abandoned insane asylum that has sat empty for fifteen years. Good job making a nail-biter and nice use of the thremulin (sp?!) in the score.

Session 9nice use of the thremulin (sp?!) in the score.
Do you mean theremin? Those things are pretty cool. When I was in high school my friend's dad used to play a mean theremin.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Wow, haven't been on here in pretty much forever...anyway, this evening I watched Red Road. Which was pretty brilliant. Disturbing, tense despite being slowly paced and very powerful. It has had quite a bit of critical acclaim but still not a lot of people have seen it, and they should .

Wow, haven't been on here in pretty much forever...anyway, this evening I watched Red Road. Which was pretty brilliant. Disturbing, tense despite being slowly paced and very powerful. It has had quite a bit of critical acclaim but still not a lot of people have seen it, and they should .
Aye, quite a good film. I saw it based on Holden's recommendation a while back. I give it a solid

The Net (6.5/10)

Not a bad flick for my first time seeing it.

WARNING: "The Net" spoilers below
I just wish they came up with a better way to get her to knock his ass out, rather than standing their with the extinguisher behind her back, then then "KAPOW!!" She looked too unnatural standing there and he should have noticed that and been ready for it. Little things like that annoy me allot.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Liked it a lot.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

High Fidelity - I watched it for the first time last night. As much as I like John Cusack, I don't know why I waited so long to see this. It was really fun to watch!

Unfogiven - I was simply blown away at how great this movie is.
Midnight Cowboy - Never seen this before, but really enjoyed it.

Apocalypto

I've got some mixed feelings about this. I never felt really connected to the main character because I became more interested in the "ball eater" and his trouble with having kids. It seemed like it was longer than it needed to be too. The ending worked for me though. It turned what felt like this huge moment in a groups life into a minor blip within that regions culture. I didn't like some of the camera work either. Kind of seemed like it was rushed in parts.

Some of those chick were very good lookin'.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Stranger Than Fiction (2006 - Marc Forster)

I'm kind of tired of these movies that claim you have to live in some sort of dreamworld to break free from conformity. It's like the only chance of escaping the boredom and the apathy is if some supernatural thing happens to you. Still, it's a pretty pleasant little film, a The Truman Show of Will Ferrell who btw does a good and convincing job. The ensemble as a whole is really good on all parts and it's got a couple of funny scenes and a couple of moving ones. It's the style and overall message that kind of irritates me, I guess.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Apocalypto

I've got some mixed feelings about this. I never felt really connected to the main character because I became more interested in the "ball eater" and his trouble with having kids. It seemed like it was longer than it needed to be too. The ending worked for me though. It turned what felt like this huge moment in a groups life into a minor blip within that regions culture. I didn't like some of the camera work either. Kind of seemed like it was rushed in parts.

Some of those chick were very good lookin'.
Do you think the fact that the language was Maya effected you and your opinion of the film in any way?

The Wolf Man - THis was pretty good. Plus, it has Claude Rains in the film. I've always liked him and I didn't know he was in it!

Shortbus (2006 - John Cameron Mitchell)

I think it was a very good film. I guess there are a lot of things you could discuss about it, but right now I can only say that I liked it... Anyone else seen it?

Do you think the fact that the language was Maya effected you and your opinion of the film in any way?
Not really. I'd say M. Gibson played a larger role in my final thoughts on the film. I couldn't help but notice the parallels between Apocalypto and The Last Temptation. When I saw a little midget being carried on someone's back in Apocalypto I kind of laughed because it reminded me of the little pale guy in The Last Temptation, which then lead to me wonder what sort of fetish M. Gibson has with little people and whether he intentionally associates them with bad things. It's a slippery slope.