White Supremacist rams Car through Counter Protestors, Killing 1

Tools    

Someone who hates ALL people from another country, who happen to be the majority in an ideology, is both. What you said was correct. If someone hates all Pakistanis he's a racist. If he also hates all people with a particular religious belief he's a religious bigot. Telling you it was the wrong word was nit picking to deflect.

Now getting back to my earlier question seeing as this thread has taken a dog leg, about such a monumental rise of hate crimes against Jewish Americans, why is that happening?

it is the pakistanis who hate hindus more than we hindus hate pakistan . above i have posted a chart of hindu percentage in pakistan before it was created in 1947 and after it was created .it is from a pakistani website known as haq's musings . look at the hindu percentage in 1941 census and the sharp drop in hindu population in the 1951 census which was the first census after pakistan was created .

where did all the hindus go ? the answer is that they were massacred , their women raped , and their children driven into slavery . the hindu population of pakistan is now almost extinct whereas it was sizable before pakistan was created . on the other hand muslims form a huge and growing part of india and their population is increasing day by day .

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What happened to the latest protest in USA? Did that get ugly or does the riot squad routinely hammer off water cannons and capsicum spray?

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Can you please quote the relevant portion for me? I don't see anything like this in the original draft, so I assume you're referring to some kind of revision. There is, however, this:
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
Granted, there is some ambiguity here, but the Human Rights Commission has clarified that this right encompasses "even expression that may be regarded as deeply offensive" and lays out a very clear (and strict) standard for when the state can restrict speech.

Okay then.

The issue, of course, is who defines "hate speech."

For example, what's to stop someone from saying your "do not deserve the air they breath" comment is hate speech?

Of course it's an ideology; all religions are ideologies. Whether or not someone is engaging in intellectual criticism or religious hatred will naturally depend on the manner of their criticism.

What does it even mean to have a "right" to free speech...so long as you don't say certain things? The whole point of a "right" is to establish a freedom that precludes those distinctions and is exempt from the prevailing political mood at any one time. Otherwise, it's not a right, it's just a law.
Article 7:

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

My liberty ends where other's start. That's as simple as that. Freedom is never absolute!

Article 7:

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.
This only condemns discrimination under the law, and "incitement" to same. It encompasses active incitement to violence, but not merely saying anything offensive. And it's a pretty far cry from this:
"Actually in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights hate speech is condemned and not included in the freedom of speech, and the counties who sign it are obliged to consider it a crime."
And, of course, I posted Article 19 earlier, which is explicitly about protecting speech. So, at minimum, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights does not simply condemn hate speech, but has two edicts in it that seem to at least nod at both sides of the debate. And even that's being too generous, because Article 19 is far, far less ambiguous than Article 7, and has even been formally clarified as not excluding things on the basis even/merely of being "deeply offensive."

My liberty ends where other's start. That's as simple as that.
Nobody disagrees with this, in fact, one of America's most famous jurists is often attributed with a similar quote (which, tellingly, used physical violence as an example). What they disagree with is the idea that your "liberty" extends around you like an aura within which even sufficiently negative sounds can be punished.

Freedom is never absolute!
Nobody said otherwise.

The most important question I asked in the previous post, however, was the one about who decides what hate speech is. You've implied that people who say things like this don't deserve to breathe. You've said they're less than human and shouldn't have as many rights. Why can't someone, under your standard, consider that "incitement" to discrimination?

Welcome to the human race...
No, but I don't think most of the people at the rally think (or would say) that, either. I think most of them are motivated by protecting some hazy notion of "white culture."

I'm really not sure how we're supposed to get from that white culture stuff--which seems to be what most of them are actually saying--to exterminating or enslaving people.
Which only begs the question as to who or what makes them think that "white culture" needs protecting - the implication here is that white people as a whole are being threatened by non-white people. It'd be one thing if it was about specific ethnicities or cultures that just so happen to consist of white people (e.g. the Irish or the Swedish) being targeted, but broadening the categorisation to white people in general (which ironically subsumes the already-existent "white" cultures) indicates that the conflict is more about racial difference than cultural difference. Extermination and/or enslavement are the most extreme solutions to this conflict since the obvious way to assure the prevalence of "white culture" is to make sure that non-white cultures either don't exist or don't pose a threat. Maybe the "white culture" types you mention are just acting out of confusion about a fear they don't understand, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned that they so easily end up supporting white supremacists who are actively working towards such dangerous goals.

I'm not suggesting we excuse it at all. Just that we also don't indirectly enable it by misrepresenting it. Surely you've noticed that the way Trump saves face (at least among his more die-hard supporters) is by pivoting away from the thing he said or did to talk about how such-and-such misrepresented or overreacted to it. It's a cheap trick, but it can be effective. We should stop giving him (and them) dust to kick up.

Call it what it is. No more, no less. If someone believes something stupid, selective, and self-serving about white culture, there's absolutely no good reason to immediately treat it as code for genocide, and if it is, that's just going to be cited as proof that they really are being mistreated and misrepresented. Make them stand there and articulate their sh*tty, poorly reasoned worldview. They don't want to. They'd rather suffer some small, demonstrable persecution or slander that they can point to forever instead.
This does come back to the assumption that all it takes for them to lose is for the rest of us to give them enough rope to hang themselves, but that hasn't exactly worked so well that far - Trump was a joke in the primaries but that didn't stop him, to say nothing of the various individuals whose worldviews may be obviously bad to reasonable types like you or I but that hasn't stopped them being linked and quoted on here (like that one user who kept posting Paul Joseph Watson videos). These are the kind of people who do seek out whatever they think counts as persecution, even if it's something as benign as an all-female Ghostbusters reboot. At least the strong opposition to the rallies is making them less and less sizeable or likely - the Boston one from the other day certainly seemed very insignificant in comparison to those who would protest it, though of course that could be twisted around by them anyway.

You're right, the issue is what you think "winning" is supposed to look like. If you think "winning" means eradicating any trace of the idea from any living mind, then arguing won't work. But that's not a realistic goal, and violence won't accomplish it, either. You can't eradicate ideas (or evil), and trying to pretty much inevitably backfires.

My definition of winning is that an idea is thoroughly discredited to the overwhelming majority of people in free society. Nazism is not on some grand upswing here. It's lost. It's gone from a blip to a blip and a half, maybe, but that's more than counteracted by the near universal condemnation we've seen since.

The only thing I'm even slightly worried about here is the possibility that people will freak out and use this to justify political violence, that in turn ends up enabling it. For goodness' sake, let's not make Nazis into martyrs.
Yeah, even I'm aware that the "idea" of being racist is probably never going to disappear completely and that you can't always convince people otherwise - the compromise is that you don't allow the racists to have the power to act on their ideas. Physical violence is the extreme end of that, but that's only after attempting to reconfigure society in such a way to demonstrate that racism isn't good doesn't work out. By allowing Nazism or racism to persist in one guise or another (e.g. the "alt-right"), we as a people have allowed it to have a significant resurgence and it's going to take more effort to beat it back.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
This only condemns discrimination under the law, and "incitement" to same. It encompasses active incitement to violence, but not merely saying anything offensive. And it's a pretty far cry from this:
"Actually in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights hate speech is condemned and not included in the freedom of speech, and the counties who sign it are obliged to consider it a crime."
And, of course, I posted Article 19 earlier, which is explicitly about protecting speech. So, at minimum, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights does not simply condemn hate speech, but has two edicts in it that seem to at least nod at both sides of the debate. And even that's being too generous, because Article 19 is far, far less ambiguous than Article 7, and has even been formally clarified as not excluding things on the basis even/merely of being "deeply offensive."

Nobody disagrees with this, in fact, one of America's most famous jurists is often attributed with a similar quote (which, tellingly, used physical violence as an example). What they disagree with is the idea that your "liberty" extends around you like an aura within which even sufficiently negative sounds can be punished.

Nobody said otherwise.

The most important question I asked in the previous post, however, was the one about who decides what hate speech is. You've implied that people who say things like this don't deserve to breathe. You've said they're less than human and shouldn't have as many rights. Why can't someone, under your standard, consider that "incitement" to discrimination?
"against any incitement to such discrimination"... If hate speech is not incitement to discrimination, I don't know what it is, so I can't see how is such a far cry.

And I'm making a difference between offensive or hatred! And that difference is very valuable to me.

To you, I can't say the same, because people on this forum have been asked to delete their messages after calling someone stupid (which is offensive but legal and you're defending my right to say it) but a message about religious hatred continues posted by a member with a past of posts of prejudice towards Muslims, and I'm not the only person here who complained about it.

I believe the right to offend is always more important than the right to be offended. But as I said above, "incitement to discrimination" is not the same thing as "offensive speech".

The legal definition of hate speech according to Merriam Webster is "speech that is intended to insult, offend, or intimidate a person because of some trait (as race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability)".

So, if I attacked ashdoc on the fact that he is indian, it's hate speech, and I should be banned from the forum.

If I attacked someone on their opinions saying they're "overpopulating the planet", for example, it belongs on the offense spectrum, and while I understand why it cannot be tolerated on a forum like this, I can't possibly understand why are we not having the same discussion when the same sentence is used to an entire religion!

Which only begs the question as to who or what makes them think that "white culture" needs protecting - the implication here is that white people as a whole are being threatened by non-white people. It'd be one thing if it was about specific ethnicities or cultures that just so happen to consist of white people (e.g. the Irish or the Swedish) being targeted, but broadening the categorisation to white people in general (which ironically subsumes the already-existent "white" cultures) indicates that the conflict is more about racial difference than cultural difference. Extermination and/or enslavement are the most extreme solutions to this conflict since the obvious way to assure the prevalence of "white culture" is to make sure that non-white cultures either don't exist or don't pose a threat. Maybe the "white culture" types you mention are just acting out of confusion about a fear they don't understand, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned that they so easily end up supporting white supremacists who are actively working towards such dangerous goals.
I agree with all of this, but saying we should be "concerned" doesn't bear much resemblance to suggesting they all want to enslave/murder other races, which is what we were talking about.

It feels like, when someone's bad, nuance and accuracy about how they're bad is the first thing to go, as if their badness absolves the rest of us from having to make any more moral distinctions. Hey, they might not literally be Nazis, but they're still Bad People, so who cares whether or not we equate them with murderers? You know that joke about how everyone on the Internet is always calling everyone Hitler for any disagreement? Because we're apparently now talking about whether or not that's a good thing to do formally, as a society.

This does come back to the assumption that all it takes for them to lose is for the rest of us to give them enough rope to hang themselves, but that hasn't exactly worked so well that far
Sure it has. Nazism wields little to no political power.

Physical violence is the extreme end of that, but that's only after attempting to reconfigure society in such a way to demonstrate that racism isn't good doesn't work out. By allowing Nazism or racism to persist in one guise or another (e.g. the "alt-right"), we as a people have allowed it to have a significant resurgence and it's going to take more effort to beat it back.
Is it a significant resurgence? Or has it just gone from vanishingly small to just really, really small? Because it could triple and still have no meaningful political influence. Other than what we inadvertently lend to it with our reaction.

But yes, it'll take more effort to beat it back. But that's literally all we're going to need: effort. It's harder to sit there and calmly deconstruct any broken worldview, let alone a hateful or evil one. It's a lot easier to just throw a punch. But when we do that, we indicate we have no faith in our ideas. If they can't win as ideas, then we're just trying to slow an inevitable decline.

The hallmark of fascism is that it meets undesirable opinions with force. If our "solution" to hate speech is to punch it in the face, we're not fighting fascism: we're using it.

"against any incitement to such discrimination"... If hate speech is not incitement to discrimination, I don't know what it is, so I can't see how is such a far cry.
Incitement to discrimination under the law. Meaning, basically, an incitement to commit a crime, like harming someone. Are you saying that it's only "hate speech" if it does this?

And I'm making a difference between offensive or hatred! And that difference is very valuable to me.
Alright. What is that difference?

The legal definition of hate speech according to Merriam Webster is "speech that is intended to insult, offend, or intimidate a person because of some trait (as race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability)".

So, if I attacked ashdoc on the fact that he is indian, it's hate speech, and I should be banned from the forum.
I'd probably issue a warning, but yes, that would not be allowed.

If I attacked someone on their opinions saying they're "overpopulating the planet", for example, it belongs on the offense spectrum, and while I understand why it cannot be tolerated on a forum like this, I can't possibly understand why are we not having the same discussion when the same sentence is used to an entire religion!
Because religions are ideologies, and races are not. I find the reference to population pretty base (and borderline), but the line we try to draw is between criticisms of people, and criticisms of ideas. That's been the standard as long as I remember, and it's held even when it was my own religion being criticized (which has happened quite a bit, by the way).

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Spooky this dropping down on my feed right now. Has anyone read any of these?

https://www.bookwitty.com/reading_li...tesville-books