Tom Hanks is playing Mr. Rogers...

Tools    

...and he looks exactly like you would expect Tom Hanks dressed like Mr. Rogers to look.

Tom Hanks playing Mr. Rogers. One genuinely nice guy playing another genuinely nice guy. Talk about perfect casting!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

watched the trailer twice, looking forward to this one, Mr. Rogers seems vaguely familiar though I'm guessing he was a bigger star in the US
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I have to share this story from high school.
I had this teacher for Algebra II, she seemed okay: very nice, entertaining, smart, fun loving, etc.... until one day she mentioned Mr. Rogers (who I grew up on, watching him on PBS in my formative years).

She started talking about him being part of the reason so many of the youth of today (us in the early 80's) were so brain dead.
She suggested that his calming voice had a hypnotic effect that numbed children's minds (making them more susceptible to any other questionable suggestions he might have...)

She'd imitate the slow way he'd talk and spoof his songs. Then she started saying how he was a creepy old man luring children into his house with his sweaters and sneakers and his creepy soft voice telling the little ones how "special" they are.
Basically she suggested he was a child molester. Actually she more than suggested it, she came out and said it a few times, calling him a pervert, a pedophile, and a dirty old man.

As the independent thinker I'd always been, it made me question her, but I have to admit at that age, this information coming from an adult (a teacher no less) made me question Mr. Rogers (maybe she knew something I didn't?).

My questioning didn't last long as I matured and learned what a fine man Fred Rogers was.

But I always remember this teacher for her salacious, unwarranted and unwanted opinions about a man I grew up respecting.

P.S. Just an add on - in Algebra I, I got straight A's, but in this woman's class (Algebra II) I fell to a running "D"! Was it just the jump in mathematics theorem? The teacher's teaching style? Or could it have been her lurid talk of Mr. Rogers?

lol watching Hanks in Cast Away on AMC right now. Always forget how entertaining this movie is when it shouldn't be. He really did give a great performance.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The Adventure Starts Here!
Captain Steel, that's terrible. Ugh!

I'm in Pittsburgh, and Mister Rogers is our local hero and always has been. I have a friend and a daughter who both met him in their formative years. I don't think there's one iota of evidence out there that he was EVER anything but the man he presented himself to be. I think that's the gist of this movie: the reporter sent to interview him really learns a lot about himself in the process.

I'll be looking forward to "A Beautiful Day..." come this Thanksgiving.

Tom Hanks is the biggest star who could play Rogers to perfection. But reportedly the movie is more about the journalist Tom Junod, who was a skeptic and cynic about Mr. Rogers in real life, but who became a believer.

It's nice to see Matthew Rhys get a top role in a major film (playing the character based upon Junod). He was superb in all the seasons of The Americans, so it's not surprising to see him get a lot of work. The guy played Daniel Ellsberg in The Post, and it was obvious he had some range chops. One could never detect that he is a Welshman!

~Doc

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood...that's only one of two new movies I actually care to see. The other is Ford v Ferrai. Tom Hanks is solid! If he's in a movie I almost always like it. Looking forward to seeing it.