Filmmaker Swan

Tools    

Kinda ironic that it's one called Soft when you realise you've grown ready to try stepping to the next level
Keep on growing bud

Wow Swan, these are great. Very unsettling () Can't wait to see more.

Thank you! I'm glad to see you around here again.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The twist to this one is that the pistol is obviously fake, and then the creepy music stops, and your friend starts talking to you about making this film. Then we see you holding a camera and sheet gets all meta.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Temper

Just testing out my new DSLR stabilizer (Zhiyun Crane). It already makes the shots look amazing (to me), and I haven't even really mastered the thing yet!

I don't actually wear pants.
You aren't bad, but I didn't like the second or third on your list. They all seem to be streams of consciousness, and not really story-driven. I love characters and stories, and I don't know what either of those are in those two shorts.

And I take issue with the whole "flicker flicker grainy" thing. I don't see a need to make it look like crap without a definite reason.

Sorry.

Just testing out my new DSLR stabilizer (Zhiyun Crane). It already makes the shots look amazing (to me), and I haven't even really mastered the thing yet!
Damn! Wish I had one.

... but I still got a crooked tripod that I have to prop up with a book, and a $40 steadicam thing that I can't balance properly, so I got that going for me.

You aren't bad, but I didn't like the second or third on your list. They all seem to be streams of consciousness, and not really story-driven. I love characters and stories, and I don't know what either of those are in those two shorts.

And I take issue with the whole "flicker flicker grainy" thing. I don't see a need to make it look like crap without a definite reason.

Sorry.
No offense taken. Stream-of-consciousness was kind of the point, since I wasn't using a script and we were just having fun shooting. I'm just starting with this stuff. And yeah, the quality being noisy wasn't done on purpose.

Damn! Wish I had one.

... but I still got a crooked tripod that I have to prop up with a book, and a $40 steadicam thing that I can't balance properly, so I got that going for me.
Dude the thing is amazing. But yeah I think I agree with the Pants guy that story is most important. I've already said this before but this is all just beginner practice. I have yet to execute a short film from script to screen.

And yeah, I had a stabilizer before this for a few years that was fairly cheap and also really bad and REALLY hard to balance. So I feel your pain.

And yeah, the quality being noisy wasn't done on purpose.
*raises guilty hand* I sometimes add noise for sound texture. Kind of can't help myself, so people have to remove me from my toys when the time comes for mixing.

I like noise too, but it's not for everyone, and I'd like to get technically proficient enough to where I can decide what is noisy and what isn't.

I don't actually wear pants.
No offense taken. Stream-of-consciousness was kind of the point, since I wasn't using a script and we were just having fun shooting. I'm just starting with this stuff. And yeah, the quality being noisy wasn't done on purpose.
And now I know. I just take issue with trying to make everything digital turn into 1950s B-movie film. What's wrong with a crisp picture? But, if your camera does that, there's not much you can do.

I make films, too, and my latest is linked here in a thread I made. I just don't know how to make it a clicky link, and not an embed.

Well, it's personal taste, but I'm not really a fan of clean picture. I like it a little gritty and imperfect. That said, some of my videos are too noisy even for me. Just a little bit.

Sometimes clear picture with modern cameras looks a little too home movie-ish. Effects don't always look good (esp. generic digital ones), but they can hide the cheesy cheap camera feel at times.

Digital is cool because everyone has access to it, so everyone can be creative now. And in the right hands it can be utilized beautifully. The digital vs. film debate is bogus because it's up to personal preference. Because I like the flaws and stuff, I think I would like doing film more. I say that as someone who has never shot on film, though.

With that in mind, there is this vintage super 16mm film camera (the Krasnogorsk-3) I've been looking at that looks so awesome, I want to get it in the future and make stuff on it (within reason).

Awesome thread, Swan. I especially like your last video. Some nice shot sequencing with a lovely dry ending!

Looking forward to more!

And now I know. I just take issue with trying to make everything digital turn into 1950s B-movie film. What's wrong with a crisp picture?
What's wrong with distortion? Crisp picture are cool and all, but I'm actually a bit disturbed be extreme HD etc, making everything look so crisp they don't even look real. IT's like going outside completely naked. PUT ON A SHIRT!

Digital is cool because everyone has access to it, so everyone can be creative now. And in the right hands it can be utilized beautifully. The digital vs. film debate is bogus because it's up to personal preference. Because I like the flaws and stuff, I think I would like doing film more. I say that as someone who has never shot on film, though.
I love flaws. The right flaw is actually perfect.

Maybe this is pat of the reason I never got out of vinyl records.