The MoFo Filmmaking Thread

Tools    

Well, it's a first attempt.

I suggest you work on the lighting, sound editing, dialogue and acting.
I think the first sound is a bit annoying and didn't like the soundtrack during the library book sequence either.

The other day I got to see a almost complete version of my short film I'm making, still a handful of scenes to add in a few things to fix up, but I was really happy with how it turned out. Not showing everyone as it will spoil the full thing, but those who have seen it really enjoyed it too, and importantly, the humour seems to have worked in most cases. Looking forward to watching and releasing the final thing.

So I have been back from Notre Dame for a week but I realized I didn't show the films I and the other students made. Here's the playlist of all 5 films. Scholar Zone is the film the group I was in made and you can see me as an actor in Flushdance as Eugene.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...sLzCz3Zo7Ofpay

Bumping this old thread because I didn't want to make a new one just for this...

But I got a few stills here from a short film I did the lighting on. It was shot earlier this year, but I don't think I ever posted stills from it on here.

The stills have been slightly edited to work better as photos (mostly the first image actually)... I have some behind the scenes shots laying around somewhere too. I'm currently in the process of doing a new project. A "fake" commercial of sorts, including vikings.

Bumping this old thread because I didn't want to make a new one just for this...

But I got a few stills here from a short film I did the lighting on. It was shot earlier this year, but I don't think I ever posted stills from it on here.

The stills have been slightly edited to work better as photos (mostly the first image actually)... I have some behind the scenes shots laying around somewhere too. I'm currently in the process of doing a new project. A "fake" commercial of shorts, including vikings.
Looks very nice. What are y’all shooting with and what kind of lights are you using?

Looks very nice. What are y’all shooting with and what kind of lights are you using?
We shot this on the Sony FX9 using a various selection of Xeen lenses.

The lighting was a mix of things, but I used 1-2 Arri S60-C SkyPanels for a lot of the shots and then larger Arri lamps for outside through the windows... like the Arri M18 and the D25.

Then I liked the flexibility of the Astera Titan tubes, which I often used to get the last extra bit I needed if something was missing either in the background or to help shape the light a bit on foreground/characters.

And then obviously a large mix of flags, bounce, diffusion, gels etc etc.

We shot this on the Sony FX9 using a various selection of Xeen lenses.

The lighting was a mix of things, but I used 1-2 Arri S60-C SkyPanels for a lot of the shots and then larger Arri lamps for outside through the windows... like the Arri M18 and the D25.

Then I liked the flexibility of the Astera Titan tubes, which I often used to get the last extra bit I needed if something was missing either in the background or to help shape the light a bit on foreground/characters.

And then obviously a large mix of flags, bounce, diffusion, gels etc etc.
Awesome! I haven’t had the pleasure of using the Xeen’s yet but I have been impressed by the cost-to-quality for Rokinon’s cine lenses. Do the Xeens seem worth the uptick in cost?

Those are some very nice lights too. I’ve maxed out using some very solid Aputure lamps. Are these your lights or were they rented for the production?

I’ve heard good things about the Titan tubes for that exact reason and feel like they may be a next purchase.

Awesome! I haven’t had the pleasure of using the Xeen’s yet but I have been impressed by the cost-to-quality for Rokinon’s cine lenses. Do the Xeens seem worth the uptick in cost?

Those are some very nice lights too. I’ve maxed out using some very solid Aputure lamps. Are these your lights or were they rented for the production?

I’ve heard good things about the Titan tubes for that exact reason and feel like they may be a next purchase.
Admittedly I haven't got much to compare with in terms of lenses. I haven't used much expensive equipment in that department and since I wasn't exactly "the cinematographer" but only did the lighting, then I didn't have much involvement in the lenses for this short. But from the little I did they were great cost-for-quality for sure.

Aperture lamps seems great. I've tried some and would love to try more. The lighting equipment wasn't mine no, unfortunately... It was "rented" for the production, but thankfully I made the short with a guy who used to work at a rental place so we got to rent all the stuff for free basically (crazy). Also since it was sort of a "student" production and they really endorse and support that kind of stuff so that's nice.

Lastly, here's some behind the scenes stills, as mentioned.

Obviously each still doesn't completely cover every still of the above, since it depended on whether we did close-ups, wides etc. and we would change the lighting accordingly. Not always by a lot, but obviously huge wides won't allow a lot of equipment without getting in the shot.

And I don't have a behind the scene for the "kid on the attic" shot, but it's otherwise a great example of how little you can use to achieve something good. All there is to that shot is a single astera titan tube, a bounce board and then natural light in the background. That's it...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7762.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	89766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7755.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	89767  

Admittedly I haven't got much to compare with in terms of lenses. I haven't used much expensive equipment in that department and since I wasn't exactly "the cinematographer" but only did the lighting, then I didn't have much involvement in the lenses for this short. But from the little I did they were great cost-for-quality for sure.

Aperture lamps seems great. I've tried some and would love to try more. The lighting equipment wasn't mine no, unfortunately... It was "rented" for the production, but thankfully I made the short with a guy who used to work at a rental place so we got to rent all the stuff for free basically (crazy). Also since it was sort of a "student" production and they really endorse and support that kind of stuff so that's nice.
Is it something you went to school for and do professionally? The output and behind the scenes stuff are very nicely done.

I’m very impressed with aputure stuff I’ve used. Everything seems to be sturdy and highly functional, while being very usable. It made falling back onto my Neewer lights feel like going back to training wheels.

Practically all my experience with medium to higher end equipment is due to a connection with a local horror host show so they let me borrow lenses and lighting for my current short film that added a ton of production value for free (or an exchange of goods, as I’ve worked on episodes for them). Connections seem to be everything when it comes to filmmaking.

I look forward to seeing a completed project.

I don't actually wear pants.
I've been making films on and off for fifteen years. I won't gauge their quality here. No, that you may decide on your own. I will share a film or two on this thread, though, and see what you think. Here's one:

Documentaries:
Victorian Ghost Con

Finnish Meth Soldier

Pig War

Shorts:
Ghost in the Machine

I Survived Being Murdered

Playing War

Okay, that's more than one or two. Oops. I have a YouTube channel, too, in case you are interested.

As mentioned earlier, I'm doing a new production now, which is a commercial of sorts with a Viking theme. My area is also lighting on this one.

I don't have any actual stills yet for the commercial, but here's two behind the scenes shots:

I'll post some actual stills and more bts when we are actually on the other side of production...

I wrote a film during lockdown. Had it shot, directed and produced by a professional production company. It has been accepted to a few film festivals this month which I'm really happy about. It's an experimental 9 minute short about memory / childhood / time.

Hopefully I'll be able to share it via a link soon.

Alright, a little sneak peek on the little commerical/campaign-ish film I've been working on. As stated earlier I did the lighting and we all did the story/concept on it (a group of four people). We have now finished editing and the likes and the film has now been completed...

For now, here are some screens from it and in the very near future I'll try to get it texted (since it's in Danish), uploaded and then I'll share it with you here

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89951

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89952

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89953

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89954

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89955

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89956

Alright, I have texted both commercials and you can watch the projects right here if you are interested.

Vindler Vision | Long

Vindler Vision | Social media

bonus info: I’m playing the doctor here. And I’m also the voice over guy. So yeah. Voice reveal right here y’all.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Alright, I have texted both commercials and you can watch the projects right here if you are interested.

Vindler Vision | Long

Vindler Vision | Social media

bonus info: I’m playing the doctor here. And I’m also the voice over guy. So yeah. Voice reveal right here y’all.

Nice work. Those were fun commercials.

I had to watch them on YouTube to get the subtitles to work. (It kind of felt like I was watching one of those "Best of ___ Commercials" TV shows at the end the year.)

Nice work. Those were fun commercials.

I had to watch them on YouTube to get the subtitles to work. (It kind of felt like I was watching one of those "Best of ___ Commercials" TV shows at the end the year.)
Haha thank you very much, gbg!*

Thanks for commenting and glad you liked them. :

Last post here about my recent project... then I promise to stop spamming this thread

I just wanted to end with some behind the scenes of our films and of course the lighting setups I used in particular. (if you haven't seen the two films, you can watch them higher up in this thread)

it was great to be able to use the location to hide my lights in the wide shots.

The fire already there didn't give enough light at all. So I had a SkyPanel and then a Titan Tube up top to simulate the overhead natural light.

Just two examples of how I controlled the outside lighting. I was a lot about just controlling what was there with diffusion and negative fill and then supporting that with a single SkyPanel light.

Why not do a little model instagram shot when you're pre-lighting anyways.

So this is how I pre-lighted the shot before going to the actual location on the day. That way I knew how to set my lights for the look I wanted (see below)

And that's the exact same setup as the two above photos used on-location.

A bts of the final shot at the laser treatment location where the machine comes into frame.

I hope you found some of this useful, enlightening or at least fun to see.