The MoFo Filmmaking Thread

Tools    

Dan and I got the idea to make this thread. This is a place for any filmmakers on the board to show off their work and get some feedback. Feel free to post about any ideas you might have, any projects or future projects you are working on, things you've already made, or just ask for advice.

Writing is my least favorite part of the film making process.
It's so isolating. And at times there are complete mental blocks, you can't move forward an inch.

Production is definitely where the fun is at.

At least with editing you get immediate gratification.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I did a short horror piece last year, I'll try and find a copy and throw it up online.

Suspect's Reviews

Writing is my least favorite part of the film making process.
It's so isolating. And at times there are complete mental blocks, you can't move forward an inch.

Production is definitely where the fun is at.

At least with editing you get immediate gratification.
I'm with you. Screenwriting is difficult for me. I used to be able to do it but at this point I just want to make the damn movies that are in my head. I like to actually move around and make stuff.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I never had the experience of directing a movie or anything like it... I'll do a small course this year on directing (though it's more focused on documentaries) and I'm really curious about it!
I also started writing a script 2 days ago... I have a basic idea of the story's atmosphere and how I want the main character to be but I only wrote the first 10 seconds of the movie because everything is just really confusing in my head...

I have a few short films written down, and some in my head, as well as a movie script and a script for a tv pilot currently in works...

Not that I ever think they will amount to anything, but I really do wanna become a director. It's probably my biggest dream, honestly. I know when people win the lottery they talk about where they'll travel or what luxury car or house they'll buy. Not me, I would buy all the equipment needed to make a movie and put everything in motion.

I have a few short films written down, and some in my head, as well as a movie script and a script for a tv pilot currently in works...

Not that I ever think they will amount to anything, but I really do wanna become a director. It's probably my biggest dream, honestly. I know when people win the lottery they talk about where they'll travel or what luxury car or house they'll buy. Not me, I would buy all the equipment needed to make a movie and put everything in motion.
I was in a small documentary. $100,000 budget.

Next thing I know, a few years later the directors made another documentary called Undefeated and won an oscar for best doc of the year.

That's when I became serious about film making.
I don't believe it's a pipe dream.

I do plan on amounting to something.
I'm working on a very ambitious short film right now, I'll be intercutting to between two versions of myself with a 90lb weight difference.

Made this short film in 2013...Would really appreciate if forum members watch it and let me know what they feel about it...(it's about 19 minutes in length)

Made this short film in 2013...Would really appreciate if forum members watch it and let me know what they feel about it...(it's about 19 minutes in length)

Quality stuff. Honestly, a great effort. Very professionally made great direction, cinematography and editing. I enjoyed the performances, and the subdued contemplative atmosphere you were going for, and looking at your tastes and favourite movies, it's clear to see they have influenced your style.

At times the dialogue confused me a bit, but it's a minor complaint. Maybe it's a language thing, but I wasn't sure what their relationship was meant to be, what her profession was at the current time etc. or maybe the ambiguity of their friendship is the point? Also when she brought up prostitution this seemed very abrupt, yet the male was unstartled and the conversation continued as normal, in reality I would have expected him (and her) to be more opposed and argue over the idea, so maybe there's something I missed about what they currently do, and their current relationships.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I seem to be on my own in preferring writing to anything else. Maybe's that's just me, though. I do my thing and don't have to worry about compromise or bothersome collaberation.

The closest that I've come to actual filmmaking is completing a script for a screenwriting course based off of a One Act Play I'd written previously. It's definitely something that I've meant to dredge up and revise for a while now. Maybe now's the time for that.

Also when she brought up prostitution this seemed very abrupt, yet the male was unstartled and the conversation continued as normal, in reality I would have expected him (and her) to be more opposed and argue over the idea, so maybe there's something I missed about what they currently do, and their current relationships.
Daniel, may be it is that this is something like a common discourse between them, it had been brought up before and thus that reaction from the guy, may be it's her way of complaining (something in line she vents out in the end, being drunk or whatever), may be you can say it's kind of a romantic thought (thus a reality check with real ones out in the streets, which serves an antithesis maybe)

Thanks for a very heartily review...

For my epic superhero action romcom I was going to do a nice BTS thing.. I decided tonight I am going to make a full Documentary about it!!

I've already been in one documentary, so I think that might make it appealing to distributors.
Plus I have a really crazy story going on with my life.

Hell the documentary could end up making money!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Writing is the thing I can do, but I agree, it's the most strenuous. The hardest part is getting the document out, once I start, I can go on.. I directed, wrote, and acted in a comedic version of "Little Red Riding Hood" - but I was 19, and if I saw it, I'd probably criticize it.

I've published two screenplays on Amazon. I have 18 others, (some are complete, some are almost complete) and have tried to work with local amateur and professional directors (U.S., Australia, and Europe), and I keep finding people who do more talking than working, or people who work for a bit, then drop it because they all of a sudden have a new project. My camera is no good, so I can't do so much. The last time I downloaded "Windows Movie Maker" I got a lot of spamware, I made a music video (a lot of footage of Downtown Flint), and I played all the music, basically trying to fit them together. Maybe I'll do that later today.

I did something a little different. I had so many hours of footage, I edited 3 hours down to 55 minutes, but at that time (and maybe still), Youtube only allowed 15 minutes, and my laptop and computer have crashed since, but here's something I just put up.... What's being said is more important than what's being viewed. I just noticed, but at the 59 second mark, I'm riding on a motorcycle of Dan Fisher (brother of Isla Fisher, "Confessions of a Shopaholic"

Just finished writing my 8th short story script.
Episode 3 of criminal bounds. 15 pages long.
(Episode 1 was 2 pages)

I need to write one last episode now.

I really don't know nothing about directing, and for me writing is where i am really good at. I'm from eastern europe country Latvia, and I just won at one literature contest, with my story that's adapts one of my country's well known books ,,Staburags Kids". I took those characters and put them in 21. century, and from this peaceful and steady classic, i made violent tale about these Kids in that village. And now some local producers say, if i can adapt good script from my story, they could shot the movie.

I really don't know nothing about directing, and for me writing is where i am really good at. I'm from eastern europe country Latvia, and I just won at one literature contest, with my story that's adapts one of my country's well known books ,,Staburags Kids". I took those characters and put them in 21. century, and from this peaceful and steady classic, i made violent tale about these Kids in that village. And now some local producers say, if i can adapt good script from my story, they could shot the movie.
Awesome, you should adapt it into a script!!
The best place to start is by reading scripts, get a couple of those under your belt and you understand the conventions and formatting.