Based On A True Story

Tools    

On wikipedia it says that Buffalo Bill was based on four real-life serial killers.
  • Ed Gein, a Wisconsin man who robbed graves and murdered women in order to flay their bodies and make clothing out of them. Gein was also the inspiration for Norman Bates in the Alfred Hitchcock film Psycho and Leatherface in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
  • Ted Bundy, who killed dozens of women in the 1970s, often luring victims by pretending he was injured with a cast on his arm, a technique Gumb used to lure Catherine Martin into his van. Similar to Lecter, Bundy also offered to help investigators find other serial murderers by "giving insights" into their psychology while he was in death row, specifically about the Green River Killer.
  • Gary M. Heidnik, who held women captive in a deep hole in his basement.
  • Edmund Kemper, whose first victims were his grandparents, much like Buffalo Bill.

Catch Me if You Can has been my favorite true story yet.

I looked through this thread but, unless I missed them, I didn't see anyone list these... and they are all worth checking out...

The Changeling (2008) - based on the Wineville Chicken murders...

Walk the Line (2005) - based on Johnny Cash's life...

The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2006) - based on two brothers during the Irish Civil War...

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) - based on the true story of three little Aborigine girls who were stolen from their mother by the government to be "re-educated"...

In the Name of the Father (1993) - based on the Guildford Four...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Anyone seen the The Salesman (The documentary)..
I plan to watch it sometime this week.
never heard of it before, will have to put it on my list.

The trailer is interesting. they look like a combo of The Amway guys fused with the Kirby Vacuum cult.
http://www.zuguide.com/#Salesman