Things that annoy you...

Tools    

Bird flu and supermarkets not paying farmers fairly = shortage of eggs here in the UK. So now some supermarkets are rationing and you can only buy two boxes each time you shop...

Today I "lost" my ShopRite card. I took it out of my wallet and placed it on top of my bags (you have to bring your own bags these days).

The cahier moved my bags as I unloaded my cart, then I asked if she'd gotten my card. She said there was no card.
Now, as habit, I always do the same thing - I lay my bags flat & put my card on top with the barcode up so it can be scanned, then grab it as soon as I know they scanned it.

The card was also gone from its spot in my wallet - I KNOW I placed it on my bags just before unloading my cart.

The part that bothered me is the cashier began to get agitated and instead of being sympathetic to the situation, acted as if I was lying to her or something. (That would be a lie that wouldn't benefit anyone in anyway and I told her that).

She kept saying I NEVER put a card up. I said, "I believe you didn't see it, because it possibly slipped off the bags & fell under the conveyer belt or something, but it was there, I can assure you because I put it there."

She kept arguing that it could not be found because it had never been there. Then she started saying she was not going to hold the line up for this. I told her I didn't want her to hold the line up. I asked if there was a way to look underneath the conveyor belt - she said they'd have to take the whole thing apart - and by that time the customer behind me had all their groceries on it.

There had been an old man in front of me who seemed a bit confused (he didn't respond when an employee told him another register had opened, but since I was behind him and the employee was beckoning me to the open register I had to explain to him that another register was open and he was rightfully next in line)... I'm wondering if he saw my card on top of my bags and grabbed it, thinking it was his while I unpacked my cart?

Anyway, none of this is a big deal (just an annoyance), but my quandary is over the attitude of the cashier - she just seemed to refuse to believe me or entertain the idea that my card had been placed on my bags and that it somehow went missing (it could have easily been a case where she grabbed my bags and sent the card flying who-knows-where without noticing it). Yet she was adamant that I NEVER placed my card on my bags, yet when I did place it there, she was still dealing with the customer in front of me.

...Yet she was adamant that I NEVER placed my card on my bags, yet when I did place it there, she was still dealing with the customer in front of me.
She really could only be adamant that she didn't see the card. She couldn't be adamant that the card wasn't there as she wouldn't know if it had been there or not if she hadn't seen it.

It's high time for robots.

She really could only be adamant that she didn't see the card. She couldn't be adamant that the card wasn't there as she wouldn't know if it had been there or not if she hadn't seen it.

It's high time for robots.
And that's exactly what I told her - I said I "believe you when you say didn't see it, but why don't you believe me when I assure you that I put it there?"

Her answer was "because it was never there."

It was a matter of moments from when I put it down to when it was apparently gone - and I went through the motions of checking my wallet, pockets, etc.

She acted like I was trying to pull something, but I asked her what could my motive possibly be (I could still enter my phone number to get the discount - so there'd be no point in "lying" about putting your card up). Guess she was having a bad day (yet she JUST opened her register).

The irony is, since I've worked these jobs, I always make it a point to try to leave cashiers or any type of service people smiling.

And that's exactly what I told her - I said I "believe you when you say didn't see it, but why don't you believe me when I assure you that I put it there?"

Her answer was "because it was never there."

It was a matter of moments from when I put it down to when it was apparently gone - and I went through the motions of checking my wallet, pockets, etc.

She acted like I was trying to pull something, but I asked her what could my motive possibly be (I could still enter my phone number to get the discount - so there'd be no point in "lying" about putting your card up). Guess she was having a bad day (yet she JUST opened her register).

The irony is, since I've worked these jobs, I always make it a point to try to leave cashiers or any type of service people smiling.
Seems to me lower paying service type jobs are full of people who are there but 'not really there', if you know what I mean.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Today I "lost" my ShopRite card. I took it out of my wallet and placed it on top of my bags (you have to bring your own bags these days).

The cahier moved my bags as I unloaded my cart, then I asked if she'd gotten my card. She said there was no card.
Now, as habit, I always do the same thing - I lay my bags flat & put my card on top with the barcode up so it can be scanned, then grab it as soon as I know they scanned it.

The card was also gone from its spot in my wallet - I KNOW I placed it on my bags just before unloading my cart.

The part that bothered me is the cashier began to get agitated and instead of being sympathetic to the situation, acted as if I was lying to her or something. (That would be a lie that wouldn't benefit anyone in anyway and I told her that).

She kept saying I NEVER put a card up. I said, "I believe you didn't see it, because it possibly slipped off the bags & fell under the conveyer belt or something, but it was there, I can assure you because I put it there."

She kept arguing that it could not be found because it had never been there. Then she started saying she was not going to hold the line up for this. I told her I didn't want her to hold the line up. I asked if there was a way to look underneath the conveyor belt - she said they'd have to take the whole thing apart - and by that time the customer behind me had all their groceries on it.

There had been an old man in front of me who seemed a bit confused (he didn't respond when an employee told him another register had opened, but since I was behind him and the employee was beckoning me to the open register I had to explain to him that another register was open and he was rightfully next in line)... I'm wondering if he saw my card on top of my bags and grabbed it, thinking it was his while I unpacked my cart?

Anyway, none of this is a big deal (just an annoyance), but my quandary is over the attitude of the cashier - she just seemed to refuse to believe me or entertain the idea that my card had been placed on my bags and that it somehow went missing (it could have easily been a case where she grabbed my bags and sent the card flying who-knows-where without noticing it). Yet she was adamant that I NEVER placed my card on my bags, yet when I did place it there, she was still dealing with the customer in front of me.

Here on Long Island, the ShopRite supermarkets have security cameras all over the store, including at the checkout lines. I'm sure that they have them in NJ too. You should have gotten a manager to look at the security footage. They would have found out what happened to your card within a few minutes. (Probably less time than your argument with the cashier.)

You have a right to know what happened to your card because it's linked to your name, address, and phone number. That makes it a security issue.

Seems to me lower paying service type jobs are full of people who are there but 'not really there', if you know what I mean.
Of course they're not. Pay me that wage and I'm not there either. Or that might just be because I'm British and live in the UK.

Here on Long Island, the ShopRite supermarkets have security cameras all over the store, including at the checkout lines. I'm sure that they have them in NJ too. You should have gotten a manager to look at the security footage. They would have found out what happened to your card within a few minutes. (Probably less time than your argument with the cashier.)

You have a right to know what happened to your card because it's linked to your name, address, and phone number. That makes it a security issue.
Thanks for that advice, gbg. I didn't even think of it at the time.

As a follow up I did go to customer service (no one there mentioned security cameras, but I wish I'd thought of that to see if it was an option... just to solve the mystery).

The young lady behind the counter just signed me up for a new card - said it might take up to 10 weeks!

Thanks for that advice, gbg. I didn't even think of it at the time.

As a follow up I did go to customer service (no one there mentioned security cameras, but I wish I'd thought of that to see if it was an option... just to solve the mystery).

The young lady behind the counter just signed me up for a new card - said it might take up to 10 weeks!

I found out about the cameras when one of their idiot workers came flying out of the back room without looking. He was pushing a full cart of cans and he just plowed right into us. The guy blamed us for being in the section near the back room, and he refused to give us his name.

We spoke to the manager about it, and he went into the security room while we waited to view the footage. He came out a few minutes later, and he knew everything about what happened, including who hit us, and what he said to us. (The manager apologized and gave us a $50 gift card. I think he also fired that employee because I haven't seen him in the store since that day.)

Has anyone else used Walmart's scheduled pickups?

A few days ago, we tried to order some Black Friday items from Walmart's web site, and we wanted them shipped to our house. Their system wouldn't allow the items to be shipped, and required that we choose a store to pick up the items, and that we schedule the pickup time based on their time slot options.

We were placing the order at around 10:30 AM, but the earliest time slot they had available was from 4PM - 5PM. We placed the order, and got an email telling us to be at the store within the 4PM - 5PM time slot to pick it up.

We got to the store around 3:15 PM, so we decided to walk around the store and shop until our order was ready. We found two of the items on the shelf, so we decided to buy them, just in case there was a problem with the pickup, and they tried to cancel the items. (Walmart has done that to us in the past, so we knew that it was a possibility.)

Sure enough, at 4:00 PM, we had a problem. We got a text message at EXACTLY 4:00 PM telling us that our order was delayed by at least two hours, and we shouldn't go to the store yet. (Obviously it was too late because we were already there, as per their previous message. )

We spoke to a manager, who told us that they couldn't find several of the items. (We placed the order at 10:30 AM, but apparently they waited until 4:00 PM to get them from the shelves, but by then, they were sold out. )

When we asked what items they couldn't find, it turned out that two of the items were the items that we had just bought. We told the manager that we found those two items on the shelves, and we asked if he could just refund our payment, and then use these items to fill our online order. He said that he couldn't do that because the system would just use the returned items to fulfill other people's orders that were placed before our order.

So they cancelled the items from the online order, and we just kept the ones that we bought. (It was a good thing that we got there early and bought them.) Now it's been five days, and we're STILL waiting for Walmart to refund our payment for the cancelled items.

I don't know what the point of placing the order early was if they were just going to wait over 5 hours to pull the items off the shelves anyway. We would have been better off not ordering the items, and just driving over to the store that morning to buy them.

Awful. She made no effort to help you in any way. ShopRite near us closed a few years ago. It was a nice store & no clue why they closed it. Been going to Big Y lately - impressively laid out.

Good advice.

LOL. America functioning at the highest level.

Has anyone else used Walmart's scheduled pickups?
Never and I intend to keep it that way after reading this.

People who don’t say hello after I say hello if we’re both walking through our local park. Unbelievable how many people don’t say anything. Rude!

People who don’t say hello after I say hello if we’re both walking through our local park. Unbelievable how many people don’t say anything. Rude!
As I walk a lot, I don't know whether to say hello to people anymore. Sometimes when I say hello they just stare at me as if I'm some kind of psycho - that's the worst. At least just a nod or smile or mumbling "hey" or something would be some kind of acknowledgement - but the fearful stare or gaping mouth as a response is just the worst - it just leaves you thinking "what is that person thinking?"

I also walk my neighbor's dog and, although the majority of dog walkers are on the same page (they'll say hello or make a comment about dogs or even stop to chat about dogs) I've encountered a few who just do the shocked & fearful stare or accompany it by yanking their dog violently in the opposite direction (as if to say that friendly guy walking the cute little dog is obviously a rapist)!

People who knowingly buy mill bred pet store puppies.

Almost without exception, puppies and kittens for sale at pet shops come from puppy and kitten mills. Their parents are kept in horrible conditions and made to produce back to back litters until they just can't anymore, at which point they're often killed or dumped. No real regard is paid to producing good quality animals with good health and good temperaments, it's just all about quantity and profit.

We had a client come in today for an appointment who was telling me all about how she "rescued" her puppy from a pet store out of state and how the puppy had been kept in horrible, overcrowded conditions and she just had to buy her and get her out of there.

THIS ISN'T RESCUE. Don't do this. Don't ever do this. Buying pet store puppies is not rescue. Yes, you're getting that one puppy out of those horrible conditions, but you're actually making the matter worse by doing so. Because now the people who are abusing that animal have made a profit from it and now they have space to bring in a new puppy to take the place of the one you just bought.

People who knowingly buy mill bred pet store puppies.

Almost without exception, puppies and kittens for sale at pet shops come from puppy and kitten mills. Their parents are kept in horrible conditions and made to produce back to back litters until they just can't anymore, at which point they're often killed or dumped. No real regard is paid to producing good quality animals with good health and good temperaments, it's just all about quantity and profit.

We had a client come in today for an appointment who was telling me all about how she "rescued" her puppy from a pet store out of state and how the puppy had been kept in horrible, overcrowded conditions and she just had to buy her and get her out of there.

THIS ISN'T RESCUE. Don't do this. Don't ever do this. Buying pet store puppies is not rescue. Yes, you're getting that one puppy out of those horrible conditions, but you're actually making the matter worse by doing so. Because now the people who are abusing that animal have made a profit from it and now they have space to bring in a new puppy to take the place of the one you just bought.
It’s hard to believe that so many people have no clue what’s going on relating to this topic. Their avid desire for ragdoll kittens & “pedigree” puppies shows no bounds. Twitter is full of horror stories that give me nightmares.

Here on the East Coast it’s popular to buy from the Amish. Don’t buy from the Amish, people! They don’t care about their animals at all & have been cited many times for neglect & worse.

I don't know exactly if this is something that annoys me, but I don't know where else to say this. People need much easier access to pain medication. Many medical care professionals treat people who need pain relief like addicts and it is not ok. I wholly understand the issues of addiction and prevention because it's an issue that has deeply touched my life, but people who need it have got to have it. 2 of the 3 times I have been to the ER since May have been because of extreme pain. 1 time was because I had a gallstone stuck which caused a blockage, and I felt like I was exploding from the inside under my sternum. This last time was because of a simultaneous kidney stone and infection that made my side feel like it was going to explode. Each time I suffered on the way to the ER, then suffered for hours while they checked and verified me before giving me temporary relief. I then had to suffer more while waiting to be able to see my Dr, convince him I needed it while he gave me tests and reviewed previous tests, and then wait until it was ready at the pharmacy and my wife could pick them up. Each time I suffered nonstop day and night, unable to work or even sit or lay in 1 place for more than 5 minutes at a time. It is bullshit, and my pain probably pales in comparison to people with more serious health issues or sustain certain injuries. This is not something that people think about until it happens to them, which is probably inevitable. I now look at my pain medication as more valuable than gold, and I won't go anywhere for more than 15 minutes without having it with me just in case. There should be a medical/government program, where when people reach a certain age, they should be allotted a certain amount of prescription pain medication to have on hand for a just in case basis. With the resources that are available, there is no justifiable reason for responsible adults to have to needlessly suffer.

@cricket

I'm so sorry you to had suffer through all that, OMG that's bad. I agree with your post too. I've been worried about you and I'm glad to see you back. If you don't mind me asking: Did you ever have the gall bladder removal surgery or was that a misdiagnoses? And are you doing better now? I hope so.

@cricket

I'm so sorry you to had suffer through all that, OMG that's bad. I agree with your post too. I've been worried about you and I'm glad to see you back. If you don't mind me asking: Did you ever have the gall bladder removal surgery or was that a misdiagnoses? And are you doing better now? I hope so.
It's gotten delayed twice because of the surgeon. They gave me a new surgeon and it's now scheduled for Jan 11th. That's cool with me because I can take 6 weeks off work during the coldest part of winter

I'm fine, better me to go through it than someone else. At least I've been able to get through it, have a wife at home to help, work that is very understanding, and enough resources to do what I need.

It's gotten delayed twice because of the surgeon. They gave me a new surgeon and it's now scheduled for Jan 11th. That's cool with me because I can take 6 weeks off work during the coldest part of winter

I'm fine, better me to go through it than someone else. At least I've been able to get through it, have a wife at home to help, work that is very understanding, and enough resources to do what I need.
That's good to hear and I bet Boston does get real cold this time of the year.

Hope you can catch a lot of movies in the near future