Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Better Days (2019)

+

Had never heard of this before, and for a while I was wondering what type of movie it was. Much like I love rape and revenge films, I love films about bullying because of the dark places they go and the visceral punch they provide. It turned out that this wasn't that kind of film, not what I seek out, but I still appreciate a good film which it what this is. That's not to say that the scenes of bullying aren't upsetting. They have to be and they are. I come out of it thinking this is one of the best films about bullying that I've seen that doesn't veer into exploitation. In fact, I thought the central relationship was sweet, believable, and a major asset to the overall film. It's all very touching while tackling an important subject. I wasn't blown away because of my taste, but this was really good.

The trick is not minding
When you watch Better Days, keep in mind that while the core message and theme is about bullying (in which there is one rough scene but isn’t exploitive), there is also a underlying theme about the pressures of the placements tests they must take to determine their future.

When you watch Better Days, keep in mind that while the core message and theme is about bullying (in which there is one rough scene but isn’t exploitive), there is also a underlying theme about the pressures of the placements tests they must take to determine their future.
I noticed that, but with it being a different culture and age bracket, I didn't think that much about it.

Just finished Better Days, and I enjoyed it. I think the bullying scenes were handled well so that they didn't come of as cheesy, nor did they come off as exploitative or excessive. I also found the central relationship compelling and strong enough to carry the film through the darker bits and, as Wylde mentioned, the theme about the pressures of entrance exams and how much they can affect your life was interesting, too. This film won't make my ballot, but I still enjoyed checking it out.

I noticed that, but with it being a different culture and age bracket, I didn't think that much about it.
I don't think one necessarily has to experience onscreen struggles to be able to relate to them. For instance, I've never served in a war, but that doesn't stop me from connecting to the characters in most of my favorite films in the genre.

I don't think one necessarily has to experience onscreen struggles to be able to relate to them. For instance, I've never served in a war, but that doesn't stop me from connecting to the characters in most of my favorite films in the genre.
Yes, but for me students worried with passing tests is practically something to laugh at, and I don't mean it as horrible as it sounds.

The trick is not minding
Yes, but for me students worried with passing tests is practically something to laugh at, and I don't mean it as horrible as it sounds.
The test is actually super important in their culture, so much so that the results effects not just the children’s lives, but their family as well. The pressures that come with the testing, as well as the failure to get a desired score, has les to an increase in suicide rates.

Granted, the testing sub-plot wasn't necessarily my favorite aspect of the film nor was it the aspect which left the biggest impression on me (at least, not in the context of all the main drama), but I did enjoy how it intersected with the bullying sub-plot late in the film. I suppose it could've intersected with that a bit more than it did, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

The trick is not minding
Granted, the testing sub-plot wasn't necessarily my favorite aspect of the film nor was it the aspect which left the biggest impression on me (at least, not in the context of all the main drama), but I did enjoy how it intersected with the bullying sub-plot late in the film. I suppose it could've intersected with that a bit more than it did, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.
I had more of a problem with the third act, myself. I’ll get into that in my review

The trick is not minding
Watching it tonight.

Very interested to hear Takoma’s thoughts on it, with her being a teacher and how she might relate to the themes of bullying and, maybe to a lesser degree, the pressure to succeed.

👀

Watching it tonight.

Very interested to hear Takoma’s thoughts on it, with her being a teacher and how she might relate to the themes of bullying and, maybe to a lesser degree, the pressure to succeed.

👀
Watching it right now!

Better Days, 2019

High school student Chen Nian (Dongyu Zhou) is relentlessly bullied by high school mean girl Wei Lai (Ye Zhou), something that only worsens after another student who was a target of Wei Lai commits suicide. As the bullying reaches the level of outright physical assault, Chen Nian ends up in a precarious arrangement with street gangster Xiao Bei (Jackson Yee), a young man about her age who agrees to protect her as she prepares for the national exams that will determine her future.

Something that I think this movie is capturing really well is the way that so much of the harm of bullying comes not just from the bullies themselves, but from the structures in place around bullies and their victims.

What we see in this film is really extreme in terms of what happens to the main character. Honestly, that level of pre-meditated, sadistic physical and psychological assault is not something I've ever (thank goodness) really encountered either as a person or as a teacher. I can't comment on the realism of it, because I'm sure that there are places (in the US and abroad) where that level of abuse is allowed to exist.

For sure, though, the kind of social structural failure is a thing. Chen Nian doesn't seem to have enemies outside of that mean clique, but neither does she have close friends. When it comes to what is happening to her, most of her peers choose to look the other way. The teachers say that they want to help, but their version of help doesn't take into account the life that she has to live outside of the school grounds.

There's a book about different education systems called The Smartest Kids in the World that examines the educational systems and classroom cultures in some of the highest ranking countries in international assessments, focused on South Korea, Finland, and Poland. The South Korean system is closest to what we see here: students face tremendous pressure to be successful on national exams. Many students begin their day early in the morning, then go to tutoring sessions after school, sometimes only getting home at 11pm. Careers and futures hinge on test results, and while many students are successful under this system, it also leads to some students breaking under the pressure and turning to self-harm or suicide.

In terms of the more specific plot of the film, I think it's interesting to see a film where, in a positive way, a male character sees a female character as a potential breadwinner. I think that Xiao Bei does have genuine feelings for Chen Nian, but part of her appeal is that if she makes it through her exams and university career, she has the potential to earn a lot of money. I think that it adds an interesting element to his protection of her, coming from both an emotional and a pragmatic place. Between his toughness and street smarts and her book smarts, they could make a go of things together.

I also want to mention a scene that I really liked, which is the scene where Xiao Bei and his friends are brought into the police station for a lineup. Fed up with having been brought in, they boisterously deliver their assigned line in silly voices and with distorted facial expressions. And then . . . we pan to behind the glass, where a woman who has been raped is watching this whole performance in shock while a woman (her mother, her lawyer, a police officer) quietly comforts her. Someone who seems to have a heart of gold in one moment has the potential to do a lot of harm in another. The whole film is marked by the danger of lacking empathy, and this little sequence really stood out to me. I think that it also goes a ways to preventing Xiao Bei from being too unrealistically nice. He's young, and he doesn't always think about the harm that his actions (even those done in jest and maybe without specific malice) could do.

I was very torn on the last act, in which the drama and suspense of the bullying subplot takes a sharp turn into a police investigation that threatens to ensnare both Chen Nian and Xiao Bei. For a while, the film turns more into a question of logistics rather than emotion, and during some prolonged sequences in a police station the movie loses a bit of its steam.

But in the end I was okay with how it all turned out, because I thought that the film managed to steer itself out of crime/thriller territory and back to the question of who deserves to have a future and why. In particular, I thought that the question of how someone can be put back on the path to a productive and happy future--even after a serious misstep--was a good one. How can the structures (and the adults) around children and young people keep them on that path and redirect them when needed? I found myself a bit surprised even at how positively I responded to the dialogue that begins and ends the film: "This was our playground. This used to be our playground. This is our playground."

Because of a telehealth appointment and then an evening out, I still have a good chunk of the movie left--about half--and will have to finish tomorrow.

But here are some thoughts (I'm at the part where he just got released from the police station after they arrested him at the computer cafe):

Something that I think this movie is capturing really well is the way that so much of the harm of bullying comes not just from the bullies themselves, but from the structures in place around bullies and their victims.

What we see in this film is really extreme in terms of what happens to the main character. Honestly, that level of pre-meditated, sadistic physical and psychological assault is not something I've ever (thank goodness) really encountered either as a person or as a teacher. I can't comment on the realism of it, because I'm sure that there are places (in the US and abroad) where that level of abuse is allowed to exist.

For sure, though, the kind of social structural failure is a thing. Chen Nian doesn't seem to have enemies outside of that mean clique, but neither does she have close friends. When it comes to what is happening to her, most of her peers choose to look the other way. The teachers say that they want to help, but their version of help doesn't take into account the life that she has to live outside of the school grounds.

There's a book about different education systems called The Smartest Kids in the World that examines the educational systems and classroom cultures in some of the highest ranking countries in international assessments, focused on South Korea, Finland, and Poland. The South Korean system is closest to what we see here: students face tremendous pressure to be successful on national exams. Many students begin their day early in the morning, then go to tutoring sessions after school, sometimes only getting home at 11pm. Careers and futures hinge on test results, and while many students are successful under this system, it also leads to some students breaking under the pressure and turning to self-harm or suicide.

In terms of the more specific plot of the film, I think it's interesting to see a film where, in a positive way, a male character sees a female character as a potential breadwinner. I think that Xiao Bei does have genuine feelings for Chen Nian, but part of her appeal is that if she makes it through her exams and university career, she has the potential to earn a lot of money. I think that it adds an interesting element to his protection of her, coming from both an emotional and a pragmatic place. Between his toughness and street smarts and her book smarts, they could make a go of things together.

I also want to mention a scene that I really liked, which is the scene where Xiao Bei and his friends are brought into the police station for a lineup. Fed up with having been brought in, they boisterously deliver their assigned line in silly voices and with distorted facial expressions. And then . . . we pan to behind the glass, where a woman who has been raped is watching this whole performance in shock while a woman (her mother, her lawyer, a police officer) quietly comforts her. Someone who seems to have a heart of gold in one moment has the potential to do a lot of harm in another. The whole film is marked by the danger of lacking empathy, and this little sequence really stood out to me. I think that it also goes a ways to preventing Xiao Bei from being too unrealistically nice. He's young, and he doesn't always think about the harm that his actions (even those done in jest and maybe without specific malice) could do.

So far I'm really enjoying this film, though I'm just getting into the
WARNING: spoilers below
murder mystery aspect of it
, so I'll be curious to see how it all wraps up.
Interesting thoughts. The bolded paragraph was one of my main takeaways on their relationship and why I found it really compelling.

I actually got sucked into the last half (plus this stupid full moon that WILL NOT LET ME SLEEP!), so I'm going to amend the above post into a full review.

Good nomination! When I went to its IMDb page I saw that it was already on my watchlist there!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Better Days (2019) is a good movie, but it's the kind of movie that I wouldn't want to watch again because it's a tough watch.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Better Days"!!!" spoilers below
I would have liked a better ending for Chen Nian and Xiao Bei. They shouldn't be punished for what seemed to be an accident that was caused by the bully.