Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

Divorce American Style

I'd lean more towards gbgoodies on this one, actually. I kind of liked it! The two leads, Dick van Dyke and Debbie Reynolds, were both perfectly satisfying, and the other actors were good as well, not a problem there. While the last 15 minutes were lazy as Citizen Rules mentioned, I think the rest of it had some pretty entertaining - if not exactly funny - scenes and lines. This also proves to be an important satire that remains relevant today, about how hard relationships are... the ending is very unrealistic, but I liked the two leads well enough that I really wanted it for them. With all that said, there is something missing that doesn't really make it a 5-star, or even 4-star movie... I'll have to think about it. But I know I did enjoy it fairly well.

Singin' in the Rain

If I were asked what movie made me feel the happiest, my go-to answer would be Singin' in the Rain. Watching it is just a pure joy through and through. Aside from Gene Kelly's long dance number, there is not a scene or line that I would cut. Every time I watch it I just want it to go on and on and never end... unfortunately it does end, but a very satisfying and beautiful ending. The thing about Singin' in the Rain is that it pokes fun at all these Hollywood and film-making stereotypes but then lovingly executes the same stereotypes itself. The sappy romance and corny expressions of love are a key example. We see it over-dramatized in the silent films but then when Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds are alone they do the same thing... it's not really a criticism, because I wonder if this was intentional (probably not)... I love it all the same. This is a true classic, loved by every generation; I don't think we'll be seeing it disappear any time soon.

Some Like it Hot

I wasn't actually sure if I would like this one. Yes, it's supposed to be a classic of cinema, voted the best comedy ever by a whole lot of critics and directors and fans... but really? A Marilyn Monroe screwball comedy, with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis as two "females" in disguise?

Well, yes. I was totally pleasantly surprised. This was another movie, much like Singin' in the Rain, where the time just flew. I never checked how much time was left once (except near the very end, since I was getting really tired). The plot is actually exciting and interesting, which I didn't really expect from these types of comedies, the plot is usually in the background. But there were also some daring moments in this film! The never-ending sexual innuendos for one, Marilyn herself being an absolute sex icon, especially back then... gotta love those sneaky pokes at bed fun during the 1950s, when sex was barely beginning to be mentioned in movies. Along with that, the whole gangaster subplot was really fresh and original, there were even on-screen shootings, blood, and deaths. I don't think audiences in 1959 who wanted to see a Marilyn Monroe romance were expecting that, and I certainly wasn't either!

What's really interesting is comparing it to today's world. This is another movie that could never be made today, not just because of the fact that the humor can come across as dated and no one likes black and white anymore, but the whole man-woman thing. As I mentioned in my write-up of Blazing Saddles, the present day has a huge crack-down on anything remotely not politically correct. So when this movie has lines like "Why would a man want to marry a man?!" "For security," They're not only funny on their own, but funny because today's lens could view that through a different lens. And that's what makes these old movies worth watching as well... they're good in their own right, but they're also fascinating to observe and analyze; more than reading history textbooks one can pick up the American spirit and culture through the ages just from watching classic movies like Some Like it Hot.

Anyways, while this isn't as good as Singin' in the Rain or Dr. Strangelove in my opinion, it will surely rank high on my ballot, and I'm so glad @Citizen Rules nominated it.

Murder by Death
In my review of The Goodbye Girl, I said that it was the best movie Neil Simon wrote directly for the screen. I was wrong. The 1976 minor classic Murder By Death is a roll-on-floor funny satire that still has me giggling throughout, over 40 years after its original release.

This is the story of an eccentric millionaire named Lionel Twain (Truman Capote) who invites the world's greatest detectives to his creepy mansion to solve a murder. The guest list includes Sidney Wang (Peter Sellers), accompanied by his adopted son (Richard Narita), Dick and Dora Charleston (David Niven, Maggie Smith), Sam Diamond (Peter Falk) and his secretary, Tess (Eileen Brennan), Milo Perrier (James Coco) and his chauffeur (James Cromwell), and Jessica Marbles (Elsa Lamchester), accompanied by her nurse (Estelle Winwood).

Neil Simon knocked it out of the park with this comic confection, providing his own twisted variations on great literary and cinematic detectives like Nick and Nora Charles, Sam Spade, and Charlie Chan and turning their accustomed onscreen personas on their respective ears. And the addition of a blind butler (Alec Guiness) and a deaf/mute cook (Nancy Walker) trying to communicate with each other was comic gold. Twain jumping on Sidney Wang about not speaking English properly was equally hilarious. Never could figure out how the guest received the invitations that had no addresses and no stamps, but eventually, I just let it slide.

This movie still makes me laugh out loud after 40 years and I'm actually sorry I didn't nominate it myself. There is an air sadness about the proceedings because, with the exception of Maggie Smith, none of the lead actors are with us anymore, but it doesn't distract from the fact that this is one of the funniest comedies ever made, thanks primarily to the genius that is Neil Simon.

Singing in the Rain (1952)

The ambitious and beautifully staged Broadway Melody, a conceptual dream-fantasy dance number, makes Singin' in the Rain so very special.

For anyone who hasn't seen Singin' in the Rain, this 3 minute Youtube clipLink shows you just what you're missing! That's from the ballet inspired, dream sequence dance shown above.

While all of the Broadway Melody number is jaw dropping awesome, I especially loved the set design and color pallet used in the gif above. But that gif hardly does the dance segment justice. The woman is wearing a veil that's incredible long, 50 feet! A wind machine is used to blow the veil sky high! It's really a thing of beauty and accentuates the already intrinsic feeling of the set design.

The other segment of Broadway Melody that awed me was the jazz speak easy club number with that same woman decked out in a Louise Brooks style flapper outfit. The emerald green dress really pops against the deep red background of the set. Youtube Link

Cyd Charisse is that woman. IMO she was the best female dancer to ever glide over the silver screen.

My other favorite number was the duel dance with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor at that start of the film. It's a good dance number and it's fun to compare their styles. And I'm convinced Donald O'Connor was a better dancer than Gene Kelly. Kelly is visible stiff in his upper body, especially in his head, neck and shoulders. Where as O'Connor is fluid from his feet to the top of his head.

I've already wrote too much, but I have to say Jean Hagen was great in this! I loved her ditzy, screeching silent film movie star. I'm not surprised she earned an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress. Her and Donald O'Connor were my favorite characters.

Gene Kelly does a good job of being a somewhat narcissistic movie star who's still likeable deep down. That's a role he often played in his films and that's probably close to his own personality. A 19 year old Debbie Reynolds did a good job of it too, but was an odd choice as she was mostly an unknown and not a dancer. I'm not sure why Gene Kelly who was the film's co-producer would choose her? She's not a stand out and the romance part of the film didn't really work for me, but that doesn't matter as the dance numbers are phenomenal.

Young Frankenstein

Don't get me wrong, I liked this one a lot. But something holds it at a rating less than Blazing Saddles. I think it's the humor. The plot of Young Frankenstein is actually much better than Blazing Saddles, it has more interesting characters and events. There is a clear rise and fall of the action. But... the pulling off of the plot often just seems lame, like so much more could have been done with it. Blazing Saddles doesn't miss a single moment of humor/action, while Young Frankenstein passes on a lot of opportunities. But there are hilariously brilliant scenes in this movie, and I have very few complaints... but I don't think it will ever measure as a personal favorite of Mel Brooks.

@ahwell Very cool that you liked Singin' in the Rain. Had you seen it before or was it a blind nom? Have you seen other musicals?
I'd seen it, but didn't really remember too much of it and wanted to watch it again. I haven't seen many other musicals, but here are a couple of my favorites:

La La Land
Beauty and the Beast
My Fair Lady

I'd seen it, but didn't really remember too much of it and wanted to watch it again. I haven't seen many other musicals, but here are a couple of my favorites:

La La Land
Beauty and the Beast
My Fair Lady
I loved both La La Land & My Fair Lady. I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast.

La La Land
Beauty and the Beast
My Fair Lady
I loved both La La Land & My Fair Lady. I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast.
I don’t know if you’d like it, I know animation isn’t generally your thing, but depending on how much Disney slapstick kids comedy you can take it’s pretty good.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Finished The Odd Couple and trying to find the time to write the review

Singing in the Rain (1952)

The ambitious and beautifully staged Broadway Melody, a conceptual dream-fantasy dance number, makes Singin' in the Rain so very special.

My other favorite number was the duel dance with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor at that start of the film. It's a good dance number and it's fun to compare their styles. And I'm convinced Donald O'Connor was a better dancer than Gene Kelly. Kelly is visible stiff in his upper body, especially in his head, neck and shoulders. Where as O'Connor is fluid from his feet to the top of his head.

It's so funny that you mentioned Donald O'Connor being a better dancer than Gene Kelly...I'm not 100% convinced that's true, but there is a HUGE difference in the way they dance...Gene Kelly always looks like he's counting and thinking about every step he does before he does it, but O'Connor never looks like he's thinking about what he's doing, he's just doing it effortlessly and having a ball doing it.

Charade

Charade is a fantastic and very lovable spy movie with a great plot, underlying mystery, and overall conclusion. Of course Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn are thrilling as the two leads, Cary Grant's changing identities every thirty or so minutes. Hepburn's character, Reggie, is such a great female protagonist. She is flawed, fascinating, and overall passionate and determined, which makes a heroine just as good as Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor in their respective franchises. That said, to say this film is a comedy is a bit of a stretch. It is certainly light hearted, much like the Indiana Jones movies or the early Bond movies. It's done with a certain wink in the eye, that this is all done in good fun. But for actual laughs, there weren't too many. That doesn't affect my enjoyment of it, but it may affect my ranking in this hall of fame; I'm not sure how I would feel about this winning a comedy hall of fame.

Charade
...That said, to say this film is a comedy is a bit of a stretch...That doesn't affect my enjoyment of it, but it may affect my ranking in this hall of fame; I'm not sure how I would feel about this winning a comedy hall of fame.

I felt that way too about most of the movies so far. I really liked them, but they weren't high on the laughter meter for me. It'll be interesting ranking them on my voting list.

Murder by Death (1976)
*spoilers*

With a star studded cast, a script by Neil Simon and a creepy old mansion filled with spoofs of literary's greatest detectives, 1976's Murder by Death should have scored a knock out comic punch.

Instead the jokes are as stiff as a dead butler, the premise as thin as the hair on James Coco's head, and the sets are spartan. But what really killed the film for me were the low hanging fruit jokes. Those broad comedy, one liners, were delivered by actors who seemed to be sleep walking their lines. As a result, comic timing and delivery nuance, which is everything, was missing. Very few of the jokes were funny to me and some of the ethnic slander jokes were hard for me to watch.

The plot is paper thin, the detectives arrive at the mansion and are seated at the dining room table...then one of them will leave the room and later return to find that it's mysteriously empty. Then in the next scene all guest are back in the dining room. And that's, the big mystery of the movie.

We later learn that the house has a 'sliding dining room' that can be electronically moved around the house. In other words there wasn't enough money to build additional rooms for extra scenes. The simple plot reminded me of Scooby Doo. I half expected Truman Capote to say at the end, "I would've gotten away with my plan too if it hadn't been for you meddling kids, err...I mean detectives."

Yes, it was nice to see so many stars, though most were mediocre in their roles which surprised me. Elsa Lanchester is usually the highlight of any movie, but here she was wasted. David Niven and Maggie Smith's characters were the only ones I really liked. Peter Falk's take on Sam Spade was downright creepy.

I'm really surprised to learn that this wasn't a made for TV movie. One good thing about watching this, I now have a desire to rewatch William Castle's House on Haunted Hill.

P.S. the 1940s cars, clothes and set decor were cool, but why oh why did they have a 1970's refrigeration in the kitchen???

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	56823  

Murder by Death

While it had a great concept, the murder mystery spoof, this movie never really picked up the pace and never made for an entertaining and fun ride. While I did enjoy the 5 main detectives, there were far too many characters and I found myself getting a headache trying to keep track of them all. That's what disappointed me the most, as well... all these characters, and the film never takes a moment to really explore them. I know it's a comedy spoof movie, but still - I'd love to have seen some interesting characters that have a little depth. While there are some funny moments, most of it I watched without smiling. But it was a somewhat fun watch nevertheless, the reveal at the end was pretty delightful.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Odd Couple

Murray: What do you got?
Oscar Madison: I got, uh, brown sandwiches and, uh, green sandwiches. Which one do you want?
Murray: What's the green?
Oscar Madison: It's either very new cheese or very old meat.
Murray: I'll take the brown.

Like many others, I watched the TV show before getting the chance to see the film in my teens and while I got a kick out of the two of them driving each other crazy sans the good intentions of the TV sitcom, it was (obviously) much later in life that I fully appreciated the scenarios that transpired beyond Oscar throwing the plate of spaghe-- I mean, linguine and Felix driving him crazy with his neurotic need to clean and organize everything.

I've enjoyed it back then and while I didn't laugh as much this time around I DID enjoy revisiting it and the poker playing buddies. And it was wonderful to see the Pigeon sisters who, while I did remember them doing the two gabby sisters in the Disney film The Aristocats --

I had NO idea they were Maid Marian and her Lady in Waiting, Lady Cluck, respectiviely, from my childhood favorite Disney film, Robin Hood. Which I found pretty cool.

But I digress,

this is another film from back in the day that would NOT be done today. Not without multiple visits from a very concerned Social Worker and sessions of therapy to get through the emotionally unstable Felix and delving into Oscar's resentment of Felix's domestic tendencies and what truly is bothering him about it. Subconsciously that is.
And thank f@ckin god it is NOT.
I'd be rollilng my eyes and head within the first third of it and hitting Stop on the remote, stating "That's it, we're done."
So, I am a fan of the TV sitcom and equally a fan of the film and very happy to have revisited it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Murder by Death

While it had a great concept, the murder mystery spoof, this movie never really picked up the pace and never made for an entertaining and fun ride. While I did enjoy the 5 main detectives, there were far too many characters and I found myself getting a headache trying to keep track of them all. That's what disappointed me the most, as well... all these characters, and the film never takes a moment to really explore them. I know it's a comedy spoof movie, but still - I'd love to have seen some interesting characters that have a little depth. While there are some funny moments, most of it I watched without smiling. But it was a somewhat fun watch nevertheless, the reveal at the end was pretty delightful.

@ahwell, Are you familiar with any of the detectives that were spoofed in this movie? (Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Charlie Chan, Nick and Nora Charles, and Sam Spade)

Murder by Death

@ahwell, Are you familiar with any of the detectives that were spoofed in this movie? (Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Charlie Chan, Nick and Nora Charles, and Sam Spade)
Unfortunately only Sam Spade, who is greatly spoofed, but still his character wasn’t as satisfying as it should have been. The others I guess I can’t judge...