The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

very poignant review for a poignant movie, @Citizen Rules!!

And glad to hear you enjoyed, Dances With Wolves, @cricket. Since you've enjoyed westerns recently, have you, by any chance, seen Costner in Open Range. Can't really rave enough about that movie.
I have not seen Open Range yet

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
well, if you're ever in a mood for a western and it catches your eye. . .

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Flesh and Blood

@Blix the Goblin nomination.
That's like an 80s version of a 50s medieval epic. Terrible, especially with that dirge of a score and the over acting by the prostitutes - I loved it. Rutger sure was lookin' hot.
Nice pic, Blix!

The Marriage of Maria Braun

Spoilers below!

I've seen this picture before and beside it I saw also Veronika Voss, Lola, The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant. I've never revisited none of these except today, The Marriage of Maria Braun. Hmm, I was not sure what this film wants to be? A moral tale, an allegory on German Economic Miracle or a plain post-war drama or all of that? I chose it to be a post-war drama. We see this Registry Office where a young German soldier Hermann is getting married with a pretty blondie Maria under the quite comic and dramatic circumstances at the same time. After the war is over and Third Reich seized to exist we see Maria waiting for her husband to return with Hermann's picture and name on her back eventually throwing the poster away people more and more expressing their Nazi hate plus to simply move forward. Here at that very moment when she throws Hermann's picture on the railway track a new Maria is born: strong, manipulative, cold and proud woman in contrast with all those weak, insecure, undecided men around her. Here I liked that smile of hers, always saying: “I know exactly what to do, I have a solution, I have the situation under control”. She prefers to make miracles rather than wait for them to happen. This all is also a great example of difference between people that takes tragedies as something that put them down not able to move forward and people for whom a tragedy is a spin to make it big in their lives. Here I think Fassbinder manages to transcend the characters making them as epitomes of weak and strong after the war. I must say the end of the film was quite unsatisfactory for me. What was the meaning of that?
WARNING: "Maria Braun spoiler" spoilers below
There was a sign of Maria wanting to commit a suicide and at the same time she carelessly left propane to leak until it blows the whole building killing her perhaps not able to do it herself. It looks to me like she couldn't play that strong woman role any more. Or another my theory is Fassbinder's judgement was deteriorating doing too many drugs that was well known about him.

World War II and post-war years brought so many sad, tragic, comic, dramatic, motivational etc stories that none of us can ever imagine. Consequently there are so many films, TV films, series, mini series, plays, novels all over the Europe depicting the life after the war. Some of them are not so good and are long forgotten and some of them are great and memorable. The Marriage of Maria Braun is one of those great and memorable however it doesn't stand alone as a masterpiece for me. Other than that it was a great and enjoyable nom Cricket !

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Since you've enjoyed westerns recently, have you, by any chance, seen Costner in Open Range. Can't really rave enough about that movie.
I second the recommendation for Open Range.
I was going to nominate this movie for THIS HoF, to be honest. But I decided not to and nominate a 40's film instead. So, you can take a guess as to what would've been my next nomination. Now I don't know if I want to nominate it because I kind of feel like it would look like I would only be nominating it because of the recommendations in here. Kind of like I couldn't think for myself.

Anyway, I was planning on getting the Maria Braun review written and posted yesterday, but a migraine took over again. I will get that done by mid-week.

Also, does anyone know of a way I can watch Flesh and Blood? If not, then I will just pay the $2.99 to watch it.

Finally, I have gotten around to requesting all of the other films that I needed to. They will be coming in soon and I will be getting to some serious film watching for this HoF then. The only one that will not be available for awhile will be The Quiet Earth. Only one copy in the entire city and it is checked out and there is another hold placed on it before mine. It will be a little while before I see that one.

Sent Vamp Flesh and Blood
I think I'm probably just exhausted from the convention this weekend, but I thought this was pretty funny. I know it means you sent a link to the film, but it's amusing me because without context it could mean that you mailed Vamp some body parts or something.

...yeah, I think I'm really tired and am just getting giddy now. Luckily I was heading to bed in a few minutes anyway.

I was going to nominate this movie for THIS HoF, to be honest. But I decided not to and nominate a 40's film instead. So, you can take a guess as to what would've been my next nomination. Now I don't know if I want to nominate it because I kind of feel like it would look like I would only be nominating it because of the recommendations in here. Kind of like I couldn't think for myself.
That's kinda funny, because at some point I would have nominated it for anything close to a western HoF and was unsure to nominate since a lot of folks are so-so with westerns.
It WOULD be pretty awesome if you still did.
Anyway, I was planning on getting the Maria Braun review written and posted yesterday, but a migraine took over again. I will get that done by mid-week..
I've gotten those on occasion -- horrible things. Hope you're feeling better, take sweet care

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Sent her flesh and blood. I GAVE HER MY SOUL!!
LOL. I dont think she'll give it back after seeing that movie. One for the lads. Jennifer Jason Leigh gets newd a lot. She has a lovely figure.

had to go look and see what ya nominated; that's a hard one to beat and there was some serious competition in that one too.

And I remember the animated short one; the piggy bank GREAT short! Got me to re-appreciate Bob Clampett's work

feeling the same way. Give these other HoF's a chance and we can open up that thread you started and everyone can brainstorm about what kind of animated short HoF would be fun to do next.

I also remember you having a great western; Pursued, for the 40's HoF which was pretty d@mn good. A lot more complex of a movie that I initially expected it to be. Can't remember but I think I watched Yellow Sky after seeing a post by you regarding that and a couple of other movies you were considering.

Wings of Desire

An amusing observation: The same actor who played Damiel, an angel, would later play Hitler in Downfall. . . funny how things come around.

With past noms by Cosmic I have found a more richer experience after learning a little about the movie before delving in and Wings is a wonderful example of such. Much like the contemplative pulse of There Are Murderers Among Us I was very much ready and therefore, able to simply take flight instead of that initial confusion of why is my feet no longer on the ground!?

Much like the angels, I was able to observe, from the very first moments and assess without judgement as I saw Damiel, above, looking down. The children who could see him. Then all the thoughts. And, on occasion, the gentle hand that eased. Without actually interfering. Rather liked that aspect.

I also enjoyed how there were so many of them instead of simply the one or two. And the fact that they sort of perched nearby. Also, since they listened to thoughts, that you would find them mostly at a library than anywhere else.
It was those nuances that really kept my attention while the movie quietly ambled away.

A favorite of mine was how Peter Falk was an ex-angel and when he first "feels" Damiel nearby he tells him about sensations. About rubbing hands together when its cold and such. Then when they meet and he lets him in on the fact. Really enjoyed that.

Along with the moments of color. Expressing the FULL effect of being human instead of the minimal sensation of listening in. It really brought it home, going from one to the other.

I understand how such a movie can be slow for many; at times it did a little for me, but still, overall, there was a contemplative and serene feel to this fantastical forage.

My #3 movie continues a bee-utiful beginning to a very intriguing HoF. Thank you, @CosmicRunaway.

I'd like to host the Animated Shorts HOF II, if you guys are cool with it. If not then gbg as it was kind of our thing. haha.

Pursued was a pick from the not very well known 40's films from me, i hadn't seen it before the HOF and i thought it was really good. I've also not seen Yellow Sky but i did watch The Ox-Bow Incident and i posted this after watching it from Yellow Sky which makes it look incredible:

I'm sure either of you would do an excellent job at it.

And the 40's was my First HoF and I did the same as you; did a blind grab with the one I nominate as well.
Yellow Sky was really, really good. Try it out when you get the chance. Having Widmark in was the selling point for me.
I remember you were trying to decide between three movies, another was a Cagney flick; Strawberry Blonde.