AHS

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I seeked but couldna find. If this is a double up, apologies.

Any fans here? What say you to Ryan Murphy's latest blabbermouth announcement (that guy needs a gimp mask) that season 7 will be themed around current politics?

I gave it a try not too long ago after people constantly telling me to watch it. I wasn't too big a fan.

Which season did you try out, swany? I'm not a fan of anthologies but husband and I got home late one night after a wedding and couldn't sleep so checked out the promos for Murder House. I found the idea of a psychosexual thriller written by a gay ex catholic who had a lot of issues coming out when he was a teen pretty promising. The short promo videos were excellent and I was hooked. I find the writers really push the boundaries with taboo topics.

Not my favourite showrunner. Murphy talks way too much and his showrunner partner needs to slap him with a water tight NDA. Every year he either gives spoilers, or runs off the mouth without a clue (he's working on several other projects so I'm not sure how much involvement he has with this show anymore. According to a lot on the board over there he has ADHD and gets sick of his shows quite quickly, then moves on to other shows). never saw any of his other work except a few episodes of that plastic surgery one years ago - nip tuck.

Denis O'Hare is one of my favourite actors so him in any season is going to tickle my fancy. And Kathy Bates has become a fave through this show.

I started with the first season. I feel like I'd like one of the later seasons more, but people tell me the first is one of the best, or THE best. I didn't like it too much, so that makes me cautious to keep going.

Every season has been divisive. MH was something new at the time and i loved it, but had a rewatch of the first few episodes recently and decided they all have something different to offer. Just comes down to what sort of themes will appeal to each viewer. I just enjoy the ride with each season. Loved the evil gingers in the opening scene and the happy music that was playing as they baseball batted their way in the house. Reminded me of A Clockwork Orange when I first saw it. Lots of homages right through it.

And I love the sets and fish eye lens cinematography.

I started with the first season. I feel like I'd like one of the later seasons more, but people tell me the first is one of the best, or THE best. I didn't like it too much, so that makes me cautious to keep going.
I liked the first and second alot; think i preferred the second. Hated Coven, Freak Show was alright then i haven't watched since. It's a wildly inconsistent show that can be good at times.

I watch it. Wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but every now and then it has a pretty good season. Well, thus far only two good seasons in my opinion. Those are Asylum and Hotel. Asylum was the only season that resembled anything horror and with Hotel I really liked the character development. Denis O'Hare was especially great in that season.

The second seems to be the standout favourite on that board. Very dark but really good. I cant rewatch that one, though. Too much catholicism for my liking. Brought back memories of the nuns in primary school. And the shrink's treatment of the lesbian horrified me.

Denis O'Hare was especially great in that season.
i fell inlove with Liz Taylor. And loved Denis's Tarentino-esq shoot em up scene with kathy. I freaking love that art deco set.

I watch it. Wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but every now and then it has a pretty good season. Well, thus far only two good seasons in my opinion. Those are Asylum and Hotel. Asylum was the only season that resembled anything horror and with Hotel I really liked the character development. Denis O'Hare was especially great in that season.
Asylum looks the best to me, and because my sister told me Hotel was the most disturbing or something, I'm want to see that one too.

I might just skip and watch the seasons I want to.

I might just skip and watch the seasons I want to.
Then it's perfect for you.

Hotel has a disturbing rape scene but every season is rapey. i don't know if one or more of the writers have a rape fetish or if someone is using the show as a catharsis. I have always thought Murphy might be expressing the crap he went through as a teen.

I love Hotel. Liz is the queen of sass.

Great music choices, too.

I will give it another shot. Should I go with Asylum or Hotel first?

This was my catchcry when I was going through chemo. I also adopted Liz's turbans and sashayed up and down the hall (but not in her killer heels...I'd break my neck)

Depends on what you're looking for. If it's horror, go with Asylum. If you like vampires and something more stylish and dramatic, go with Hotel. Oh and a crazy good soundtrack. Can't forget Hotel's soundtrack, that alone deserved an award.

Depends on what you prefer. You probably know basic content, like asylum being nuns, exorcism, aversion therapy for gays etc etc. also has fear of aliens back then. Hotel is about addiction more than anything else (that's what I got out of it). maybe check first episode of each and see which one appeals more. There are easter egg links connecting the seasons but I;m not sure you're missing out if you miss those. They're loose connections at this point.

Depends on what you're looking for. If it's horror, go with Asylum. If you like vampires and something more stylish and dramatic, go with Hotel.

Weird, I love horror and I didn't like Asylum at all. The only 2 seasons I didn't like were Asylum and Freak Show. Other than that, love me some AHS.

What didnt you like about Freak Show, cat? Once again, I loved the set, loved Denis, loved the freaks (and the actors who played them), loved Twisty and the Motts. Can't really think of anything I might have not liked. ends with 2 great episodes.

With coven, a lot of people complained it was too teen focused. I think it depends on where your focus is. Mine was on the older actors and I really enjoyed it. Loved loved loved Lange

I wasnt put off by the younger ones which was a surprise for me.

and have I mentioned Denis yet?