re93animator's Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Lot's I like in this set. I just recently saw Blood and Black Lace for the tournament. Was really impressed by that one. I am assuming you nominated it?

The only one I've seen there in full is Apocalypse Now which like many others I love, it's in my top 10. But I must give it another watch. I want to see They Live

There are bunches on this list that I haven't heard of and sound interesting. I'm currently combing through the '40s for good noir, so I'll be sure to check out Nightmare Alley.

40. Institute Benjamenta (1995)

39. The Tell-Tale Heart (1953)

38. Pulp Fiction (1994)

37. Videodrome (1983)

36. Papillon (1973)

35. Street of Crocodiles (1987)

34. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)

33. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

This one was at the top of the list at one point, but it’s worn down a bit with rewatches. I still love it though, and always get a kick out of the dialogue.

32. Escape from New York (1981)

31. Dust Devil (1992)
Great stuff from the very original Richard Stanley. I think this is definitely the best place to start with his work. Unfortunately after this, he hasn’t had the opportunity to direct (and finish) more features, but he has made some good short films, documentaries, and music videos.

Silence of The Lambs and Pulp Fiction are two top tier films of the nineties.

Videodrome I believe is some what outdated, and I didn't really get the whole mind control thing, since most people would avoid that kind of stuff.

Street of Crocodile much like the other brother Quay films I've seen, I dislike.

I've always wanted to see The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, in fact, I'd like to see all the Mabuse films as I remember my Granddad talking about them. I've recorded it a couple of times, but had to delete it due to lack of space.

Hated Papillon and I've never seen just what's so good about Dust Devil.

30. Aliens

29. Faust

28. Bringing Out the Dead

A pretty versatile script that makes a specialty out of shifting tone, a versatile performance from Nicholas Cage (the master of hit and miss), and maybe the most experimental Scorsese has ever allowed himself to get.

27. 2001: A Space Odyssey

26. Army of Darkness

I said that Evil Dead II was where the ED formula was perfected, but I always have more fun with Army of Darkness. This one had a decent sized budget to drain, allowing more elaborate action oriented sequences than its predecessors, but just like the first two, it’s grade A popcorn entertainment.

25. Street Trash
Everything that its cover and title promise. A sleazy and repulsive exploitation flick with a sensibility of exactly what it is, and some of the best gross out moments you’ll ever see. A good, more vulgar companion to something like Repo Man or CHUD.

24. Ghost in the Shell

23. Re-Animator

22. Blood Simple

21. The Element of Crime

Lars Von Trier’s uber-dismal debut feature. The overly-deadpan dialogue and grim characters might irk some. It’s predominantly an exercise in style though, and if you’re able to value the style over the otherwise predictable noir-ish substance, it can be very engrossing.

28. Bringing Out the Dead
A pretty versatile script that makes a specialty out of shifting tone, a versatile performance from Nicholas Cage (the master of hit and miss), and maybe the most experimental Scorsese has ever allowed himself to get.
I want to see this, because it's from Scorsese, but I just don't know what to expect. Maybe the time has come to do something about it.

Nice to see The Element of Crime on a list. It's seriously awesome, and generally overshadowed by von Trier's two most recent films, Antichrist and Melancholia.

Also, 2001 is a bit high, which just seems so unnatural. Not even in the top 20? So weird to see.

Love Aliens, Street Trash, Re-Animator, and Blood Simple.

Looking forward to seeing 2001 and Bringing out the Dead.

Was disappointed in Army of Darkness.

Erm... Well... Blood Simple's good. Sorry.

I want to see this, because it's from Scorsese, but I just don't know what to expect. Maybe the time has come to do something about it.
If you buy into the Taxi Driver comparisons, you'll be disappointed. The closest Scorsese film in tone is probably After Hours.

Nice to see The Element of Crime on a list. It's seriously awesome, and generally overshadowed by von Trier's two most recent films, Antichrist and Melancholia.

Also, 2001 is a bit high, which just seems so unnatural. Not even in the top 20? So weird to see.
Honestly, I haven't even seen his recent outpout. I sort of lose interest after the Dogme 95 thing.

And 2001... I don't know. That's just where it ended up.

Well Antichrist isn't that good, but is certainly ****ing gorgeous. Melancholia I own but have yet to watch.

If you buy into the Taxi Driver comparisons, you'll be disappointed. The closest Scorsese film in tone is probably After Hours.
I really liked After Hours and I watched BOTD yesterday night (after I saw it appear on your list) and I really liked it. I posted a short review somewhere in the "rate the last movie you watched"-topic.

I'd pick Antichrist over Melancholia anyday. The only two Von Trier films I've actually like are Antichrist and Dancer in The Dark. I haven't seen most of his 90s stuff though, only Europa.

20. Alien

19. Nosferatu the Vampyre

18. Ravenous

17. The PianoTurner of EarthQuakes

Obviously, I’d like the Quay’s to make more features. This is easily the best thing they’ve done in my eyes. For those into ambient, dreamlike films (very dreamlike), this is the cream of the crop. Maybe the most impressive visually driven movie I've seen.

16. Taxi Driver

15. Europa

Lars Von Trier coming into his own style and at the peak of his creativity: before the Dogme 95 movement (which I largely disliked) and after his attempts at mimicking Tarkovsky.

14. M

13. Naked Lunch

Based on material you can’t really base a movie on, this goes more through the incomparably strange process of Burroughs’ own mental state while writing Naked Lunch, with a little bit of the nihilistic grit and delirium of the book to spare. The highest point of the film is metaphorically portraying the ‘unmentionables’ of the book while somehow making them even stranger.

12. The Thing

11. The Shining