Keanu Reeves

Tools    

Do you like Keanu?!
12.77%
6 votes
He needs to be fired and never heard from again. In the name of all that does not suck please stop!
78.72%
37 votes
He gets a bad rap. He isnt as bad as they say. Why does everyone hate him?
8.51%
4 votes
Meh. Well at least Ashton Kutcher will get his turned down roles. Punk'd rocks man!
47 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I used to not care one way or the other about Keanu Reeves, but somewhere that changed. I started to feel a great injustice was being done to all talented young hungry actors out there, Why does he have work?!

Got in a big ol' argument one time with a friend about Keanu. I argued they could have made a star out of some unknown actor in Matrix rather than give it to someone that just looks the part. He swore up n down Keanu was the best man for the role because of his athleticism and being a minor draw. I said Buullllshit! I said Robert Downey Jr would have been great in it, Benicio Del Toro, Ewan McGregor, and athleticism is the least important criteria in regards to that part - look at Lauwrence Fishburne?! Is that an athlete?! My friend went on to say Fishburne knew kung fu in real life, and it just went on and on...

So I read a lil biography on Keanu. It was small, and schlock. He does seem like a nice guy, and I felt bad that I cut so many promios about him. I had the entire run of Hellblazer (The comic Constantine was made from), and found out he was cast to play John Constantine. A british former punk rocker that the creator Alan Moore looked just like the rock star Sting. My mind went to a happier place so the korean water torture i.e. hollywood decisionmaking wouldnt break me altogether, and Ive yet to see that movie.

I voted the 3rd option simply because he isnt the worst actor out there, and would be a competent action star.

why i think keanu reeves is so perfect for the role in the matrix and so many other films is that he looks unnatural, he doesnt look exactly human, he looks a litte bit odd, so you cant help but wonder "is he normal, or some kind of super machine/alien" thats why i enjoy him in fantasy/sci fi. He is sorta like crispin glover.

I think he gets a bad rap, he may not be the most talented actor but if e sticks to the scifi he gets my support.

robert Downey Jr would have been great in it, Benicio Del Toro, Ewan McGregor,
i cant even imagine them as neo, neo is sopposed to be this skinny sunlight depreved nerd/hacker. Robert Downey Jr as neo, never, i dont even like him as sherlock holmes (but ill old my final judgment till i see it).

I'd like more options, personally. I fall somewhere between the first two; he's not a good actor, but he's not always as terrible as they say, and in the right role he's even above-average. And I still love me some Ted Theodore Logan.

So, yeah...I wouldn't terribly miss him if he was gone, but I'm fine with him existing and being mediocre most of the time, and then finding a role that really suits him every 6-7 years.

Banned from Hollywood.
A good looking guy but a really bad and monotonous actor who's acting has gotten OK over the years. IMO his greatest acting role is in Thumbsucker, but i only say that because it's one of my favorite recent movies Keanu or no Keanu

Banned from Hollywood.
why i think keanu reeves is so perfect for the role in the matrix and so many other films is that he looks unnatural, he doesnt look exactly human, he looks a litte bit odd, so you cant help but wonder "is he normal, or some kind of super machine/alien" thats why i enjoy him in fantasy/sci fi. He is sorta like crispin glover.

I think he gets a bad rap, he may not be the most talented actor but if e sticks to the scifi he gets my support.

i cant even imagine them as neo, neo is sopposed to be this skinny sunlight depreved nerd/hacker. Robert Downey Jr as neo, never, i dont even like him as sherlock holmes (but ill old my final judgment till i see it).

..on the other hand i could imagine McGregor as neo..what an incredibly talanted guy. He can pull off almost anything.

I like me some orig' Matrix - w/o K' it would not be the same, no matter what anyone says. Point Break is kinda a guilty love also, but other than those ..ummmmmm.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Keanu is ideal as Neo in the Matrix. I can't imagine it with Will Smith who was apparently first choice. All he has to do is look pretty and confused and that's safely within his range. Just like he's good in Bill and Ted. But he probably wouldn't be any good in Hamlet. Although having said that, he was in My Own Private Idaho. But I can't say he's a good actor, because I've seen Johnny Mnemonic and that was painful to watch...

It's all in the reflexes.
I chose option 2, i don't think he is a "great" actor, but to me he is entertaining and most of the roles i've seen him play i've enjoyed. Excluding The Matrix trilogy my favourites from him would be:

1. The Devil's Advocate (But Al Pacino sought of dominates him a little, the last scene is awesome).
2. Sweet November (What can i say, one of a few romantic movies that gives me that warm fuzzy feeling).
3. The Replacements (A good laugh).

He's not a bad actor but can only do certain roles. He was ideal for The Matrix because his wooded acting style was almost mechanical, like the role demanded. And can't go wrong with him in Bill and Ted which partly extends into Point Break. So there you go, 4 films he's good in, the rest are pretty passable. Think they used the same criteria in casting him for The Day the Earth Stood Still but that was pretty tripe anyway

He's ok sometimes. Like everyone else has already said he is most effective in roles that require him to look impassive. What did you lot think of him in The Devils Advocate?

Making a difference
He certainly is in no way a bad actor. He doesn't even come close to that... to me anyways! Loved him in Sweet November, Matrix, Devils advocate & The Costantine. Okay actor he is in my book not excellent nor anywhere close to bad.

He's ok sometimes. Like everyone else has already said he is most effective in roles that require him to look impassive. What did you lot think of him in The Devils Advocate?
Oh! He was horrid! Very bad! PREMIERE magazine is very fluff. Hey im a mark and read it, and they were reporting from the set interviewing Keanu. Pacino had just yelled at Reeves because during the final monologue Keanu was blowing his lines. There were a few lines Keanu had to remember, and Pacino would have to start over.

Yes he was good in The Gift, didnt kill The Matrix surely had the look, Point Break was good, Walk In The Clouds was good, Bill And Ted, Parenthood, and some others. Hes not some jerk diva or pretentious! So thats why I didnt vote thumbs down. I know he has it in him to kill a film though.

I quite like him, theres many worse actors out there.