Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You made it sound like Geoff loved a girl who dumped him. Jo is very emotional due to her having a baby when she herself is a baby. She has to grow up really fast. She comes to learn she didn't mean what she said to Geoff or others. I thought her mom was more of a brat than she was and has had 20 more years of being one. But even they get along.
Mom and daughter were both cheeky, but on numerous occasions the mom tries to be nice, even though they are both stubborn about showing empathy, but is rebuffed.

Geoff: "I can love you until you find someone to love" or "I'll marry you for the baby's sake" or constantly offering to help her in anyway. Yeah he's gay, but every second of his life is dedicated to her. He also says "Before I met you, I didn't care if I lived or died." -- he's the one constantly buying things for the baby, getting information, trying to cheer her up, and she would say awful things to his face..

Her mother didn't treat her well at all. She effectively abandoned her, only reappearing when her relationship failed. She was a selfish, immature, alcoholic. It's no wonder Jo made the mistakes she did with her as a role model. I wouldn't be instantly receptive to her supposed niceties. Not sure why you'd expect Jo to be a young girl who was obviously bitter at the way her mother had treated her. I think Mark is spot on calling her more of a brat.

for a leading lady, very unattractive
First of all she isn't unattractive, second why is this important? Do you think only supermodels should play leading ladies?

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night -
+
(Ana Lily Amirpour, 2014)

I liked it, but I feel something was lacking for me. It seemed like a beginning to a director with massive potential - I look forward to Amirpour's future cinematic endeavors. I think, honestly, for as much personality as it thinks it has it lacks any in a really unique way. It seems like a film I should love, but it just felt too much like the artist behind it was still trying to find her way, taking traits of past filmmakers without molding them into her own personal cinematic voice. That's fine - that's how it is with just about any good director, and for a debut film this is a treat. But it didn't feel like it was as good as it could have been, unfortunately. Granted, it is already improving in my memory, and I look forward to revisiting it in the future.

Army of Darkness -

Haven't seen the Evil Dead movies in at least four or five years so i wasn't sure how i would feel about this. It was a lot of fun, Bruce Campbell is just so entertaining to watch. He was at his monster killin', wise-cracking best here.The film was really absurd and cheesy at times, like various Ash one liners and everything that happens in the fight with the little people.That is what makes the film so fun though, the way it is handled. I know how stupid it was but i found Ash's long face when he comes out of one of the books hilarious, actually the second face it changed to before going back to normal was even better. The monsters in this looked hilarious, i cracked up when the one came out of the wall at the start that Ash was trying to climb up, so were the skeletons. Fun film. Kind of want to rewatch the first two now.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A Taste of Honey - 6/10

I loved the first Tony Richardson movie I ever saw years ago - "Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner" but not the last couple. I don't like the female protagonist.. She's a brat,
Completely the opposite of how I felt. I absolutely understood and liked Jo, but couldn't understand the behaviour of the boy in The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Definitely much less of a 'brat' than her mother, or, for comparison, the character played by the same actress on The Leather Boys.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Belgica (2016)

Interesting for the music by Soulwax, and it looks good, but the thin plot about the relationship between two brothers who run a bar in Belgium doesn't justify the 2 hour running time. Too much of it is a montage of drinking, drug taking and sex, and it's difficult to root for characters who are so unlikable. I know that Frank isn't exactly supposed to be likable, but it's still a bit of a chore to watch at times.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Her mother didn't treat her well at all. She effectively abandoned her, only reappearing when her relationship failed. She was a selfish, immature, alcoholic. It's no wonder Jo made the mistakes she did with her as a role model. I wouldn't be instantly receptive to her supposed niceties. Not sure why you'd expect Jo to be a young girl who was obviously bitter at the way her mother had treated her. I think Mark is spot on calling her more of a brat.

First of all she isn't unattractive, second why is this important? Do you think only supermodels should play leading ladies?
Because the industry picks beautiful women, UNLESS they are great actresses.. She was neither. I never said the mother was great, and knowing her past, she tried several times to be nice, only to be rebuffed by Jo.

Because the industry picks beautiful women, UNLESS they are great actresses. She was neither.
Her performance was solid IMO.

I never said the mother was great, and knowing her past, she tried several times to be nice, only to be rebuffed by Jo.
And? Would you be fine with someone that treated you this way? She was no sort of mother and i don't see why you are blaming her/can't understand why Jo wasn't completely forgiving.

Searching For Sugar Man -
+

Such a great story. I've heard something about this not being completely authentic, i can't remember the details but to me it doesn't matter anyway. It's not like Catfish where the fact that it isn't true leads to you feeling like you are watching bad acting. If i remember correctly its that certain information was held back, probably to make the story more interesting and mysterious. Again though it doesn't matter to me, i remember starting a conversation in the Docs HOF asking if the authenticity and accuracy of a documentary is crucial to you. While certainly a good thing if it is, it isn't a deal breaker for me. Plenty of my favourite docs make false claims and are biased, etc. Think its mostly to do with me enjoying them as movies rather than something bringing me factual information.

I liked his music he had a great voice. Wasn't quite as impressed with his lyrics as everyone in the documentary, they were solid i just felt some of his fans were a bit hyperbolic. Saying the only singer who could maybe match him as a writer is Bob Dylan. Even saying later that Dylan was cheap compared to Rodriguez. These are his fans so obviously you expect them to say and believe this i just personally didn't agree. I kind of regret knowing some things about this going in because if i thought there was even the slightest chance of the suicide story being true i could imagine liking this even more. Sadly i knew he was alive (not sad that he was alive haha, sad that i already knew this) which cut away some of the intriguing aspects of the story. It was really great when he finally found and got to meet Rodriguez.

Anyway great doc, think i would've liked it a bit more if i went in completely blind.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Far From the Madding Crowd (2015)

An independent Victorian woman farmer deals with 3 different suitors.

Our feisty heroine, Bathsheba Everdene, must choose between the faithful farmhand, the dashing soldier, or the wealthy landowner.

I really really (2 really's) enjoyed this. It hits the trifecta for me; an excellent, deftly handled story, beautiful cinematography, and great acting.

Note: I have not read the novel, or seen the 1967 version of the film, but now I intend to do both.

4.75 sheep out of 5

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Joseph L. Mankiewicz baby

That I should want you at all suddenly strikes me as the height of improbability. But that in itself is probably the reason: You're an improbable person, Eve, and so am I. We have that in common. Also our contempt for humanity and inability to love and be loved, insatiable ambition, and talent. We deserve each other.

I finaly saw today this masterpiece. It's I think among the first anti-rasist films. It's full of valour, and above all strenght of Atticus' character. I was wondering will he snap or not, but he didn't. It's also about good vs. evil. Throughout history we've seen groups of evil souls harming another group. So, it's universal. Robert Mulligan directed it to perfection, as was Peck's performance. Music's also good. The end is the best. They sentence him, he breaks down and gets killed in a stupid way. I didn't get what happened after though. Who was the man behind the door? He saved the kids, but what that's got to do with it? I actually didn't understand anything after the trial. But even without it

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That was Boo Radley (Robert Duvall), their mysterious neighbor who supposedly never left his house.