The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Just for my own reference, if the 2010's are next, Twin Peaks: The Return isn't eligible, correct?

I know people (and I think Lynch) refer to it as an 18-hour long movie, but I'm assuming for the sake of the countdown it's considered a TV series.

Tuning out on the weekend means missing a lot, apparently.

Dr. Strangelove was my #11. It's not quite as funny funny as some of the other films on list, hence its placement, but it's of course a classic of American satire. Kubrick still has a huge gravitational pull in cinema.

Same as many others, The Big Lebowski didn't do a lot for me the first time I watched it, but every rewatch seemed to make it better, deeper, and funnier. Not an uncommon experience for me with the Coens, but it was most pronounced with Lebowski. It was "only" #19 on my list, but I'm not sorry or surprised (well, maybe slightly surprised) to see it at the top. Plus, I love White Russians, my drink of choice.

Here is my list, with some comments on the misses:

1. Young Frankenstein (1974) #4
2. The Muppet Movie (1979) About half of the movies in my top 10 have a nostalgia factor, and this is one of them. But it's here on merit! I may have seen this movie more than any other (mostly as a kid, but several times as an adult, including a few years ago at a showing with Austin Pendleton), and I love it as a film and a wonderful meta experience about the joy of film. Always going to be near the top of my list.
3. Time Bandits (1981) Another nostalgia/merit pick. I'm just a bit younger than Kevin (Craig Warnock), so this really spoke to 9-year-old me. (Though I'm happy to say my parents are not as daft as his and have not been exploded by a chunk of Evil.) Who among the brilliant cast to pick out? The late, great David Rappaport's intense, weaselly Randall? John Cleese's cameo as a foppish Robin Hood? Michael Palin's eternally cursed in love Vincent? Katherine Helmond's attentive Mrs. Ogre? The late, great David Warner's overweening Evil? A rich, funny, and clever film.
4. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) #28
5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) #5
6. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) #33
7. Groundhog Day (1993) #7
8. The Princess Bride (1987) #16
9. Galaxy Quest (1999) #14
10. Blazing Saddles (1974) #10
11. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) #2
12. Airplane! (1980) #3
13. Duck Soup (1933) #8
14. The Apartment (1960) #30
15. A Shot in the Dark (1964) #101-120
16. Tootsie (1982) #101-120
17. Repo Man (1984) I've seen this mentioned by a couple of other posters. Not a nostalgia pick. Though I could have seen it on release I only finally watched it several years ago. Super weird, sharp, and has a terrific ending.
18. Being John Malkovich (1999) #45
19. The Big Lebowski (1998) #1
20. Shaun of the Dead (2004) #15
21. A Fish Called Wanda (1988) #38
22. Ed Wood (1994) #69
23. Rushmore (1998) #54
24. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) #20
25. Re-Animator (1985) At least one other person mentioned this. I watched part of it first at a comic book convention in Dallas back around when it came out or soon after, but I don't think I saw it in full until college. It's arguably more horror than comedy so I didn't put it higher, but it's a longtime favorite so I wanted to give it a nod.

Anyway, good fun as always. Many thanks to Diehl40 and Yoda for doing the hard stuff!

2010's next? OK, who thinks I'll be able to put together a top 5?
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I've been putting together a shortlist for the 2010's - 63 films so far. I don't think I'll have a problem compiling a ballot when the time comes.

1. Young Frankenstein (1974)
2. The Muppet Movie (1979)
3. Time Bandits (1981)
4. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
6. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)
7. Groundhog Day (1993)
8. The Princess Bride (1987)
9. Galaxy Quest (1999)
10. Blazing Saddles (1974)
11. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
12. Airplane! (1980)
13. Duck Soup (1933)
14. The Apartment (1960)
15. A Shot in the Dark (1964)
16. Tootsie (1982)
17. Repo Man (1984)
18. Being John Malkovich (1999)
19. The Big Lebowski (1998)
20. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
21. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
22. Ed Wood (1994)
23. Rushmore (1998)
24. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
25. Re-Animator (1985)
There is a disappointing lack of Hedwig on this ballot, but for Malkovich and Lebowski.

My List:
1. Duck Soup (1933)
2. The Acid House (1998)

3. Annie Hall (1977)
4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
5. The Graduate (1967)
6. The Great Dictator (1940)
7. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
8. American Beauty (1999)

9. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
10. Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)

11. Ratatouille (2007)

12. A Serious Man (2009)

13. Being John Malkovich (1999)
14. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
15. Moscow on the Hudson (1984)

16. History of the World: Part I (1981)

17. The Kid (1921)
18. Young Frankenstein (1974)
19. Blithe Spirit (1945)

20. Elf (2003)

21. People Will Talk (1951)

22. Monkey Business (1931)

23. Man Bites Dog (1992)

24. Office Space (1999)
25. Scary Movie 4 (2006) (1 PT)

I've had rewatched Withnail & I in time it'd be very high on my 25 as well, maybe Fargo deserved one of the lower slots too. Otherwise I believe my list would look the same today

There is a disappointing lack of Hedwig on this ballot, but for Malkovich and Lebowski.
Oh, yeah, so I probably considered Hedwig for this list (maybe? I honestly don't recall, and I didn't exactly craft the list with time and care).

I do love Hedwig, and it is very funny, but I also put it in kind of its own category, separate from the pure comedies/satires/parodies that mostly populate my list. Hedwig--for me--is mostly musical, some drama and melodrama, coming of age, romance, and also, yeah, comedy.

Now, anyone giving my list a close look could fairly say, "Hey, what about Rushmore and Tootsie and Repo Man and Re-Animator? Aren't these all mixed genre films with some comedy?" Well. It's a fair cop. The beauty of a personal list, of course, is that I only really have to explain it to myself, and everyone else has to take their chances.

No fear, though, when we do musicals Hedwig will take her rightful place.

No fear, though, when we do musicals Hedwig will take her rightful place.
No need to justify. I suspected it wouldn't make the cut but had hoped I wouldn't be its sole voter. The comedy is the part that I love the most about it and to me is neck-and-neck with the music as being the main focus and appeal of the movie, with the drama taking a bit of a back seat. But then again that just speaks to how subjective comedy is.

I just hope that the host of the musicals countdown, whenever that happens, doesn't prorate partial ballots. No doubt Hedwig will be my number 1, but it'll be a struggle for me to even get to ten musicals and that's assuming the host doesn't disqualify animated movies.

I can't believe Liar Liar didn't make it. It's a hilarious movie with a great story and one of Jim Carrey's best performances. I can't lie.

Actually, I found the funniest gag to be the out takes in the closing credits.

Just for my own reference, if the 2010's are next, Twin Peaks: The Return isn't eligible, correct? I know people (and I think Lynch) refer to it as an 18-hour long movie, but I'm assuming for the sake of the countdown it's considered a TV series.
Correct. It is a television series.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Big Lebowski was my number one so I'm delighted that it's top of the countdown. Still need to have a proper look through and leave some comments here when I have the time.

edit: Think I've seen 69/100.

My list:

1. The Big Lebowski (1998)
2. Playtime (1967)
3. This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
4. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
5. Rango (2011)
6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
7. His Girl Friday (1940)
8. Down by Law (1986)
9. Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928)
10. The Quiet Man (1952)
11. Airplane! (1980)
12. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
13. The Graduate (1967)
14. The Apartment (1960)
15. Everybody Wants Some (2016)
16. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
17. Paddington (2014)
18. Groundhog Day (1993)
19. MASH (1970)
20. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)
21. Monkey Business (1952)
22. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)
23. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
24. Stalag 17 (1953)
25. Stroszek (1977)

When does this list get added to the O F F I C I A L Lists?

OK. So both #2 and #1 were on my list, as I expected. Seen: 98/100.

Here's my final list:

1. The In-Laws (1979) (#63)
2. Step Brothers (2008) (#81)
3. Blazing Saddles (1974) (#10)
4. The Jerk (1979) (#24)
5. The Miracle at Morgan Creek (1943) (not on list, but a MUST see).
6. Way Out West (1937) (not on list.)
7. Duck Soup (1933) (#8)
8. Office Space (1999) (#18)
9. This Is Spinal Tap (1984) (13)
10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) (#5)
11.Young Frankenstein (1974) (#3)
12. Best in Show (2000) (#75)
13. The Big Lebowski (1998) (#1)
14. Some Like It Hot (1959) (#9)
15. Superbad (2007) (#39)
16. Bridesmaids (2011) (not on list.)
17. Raising Arizona (1987) (#23)
18. His Girl Friday (1940) (#26)
19. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) (#28)
20. The Lady Eve (1941) (#101)
21. The Apartment (1960) (#30)
22. Annie Hall (1977) (#19)
23. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) (#2)
24. My Man Godfrey (1936) (#102)
25. It Happened One Night (1934) (#36)

First, a word on #2 and #1:

These are both all-time classics, obviously. Dr. Strangelove was on the back end of my list, because it's really not super funny. Fantastic film, should be on the list, but as I explained earlier, I decided to go for prioritize the funniest films and add on "important" comedies toward the end. As for Lebowski, I mean great, funny film. I can't say I understand why it's #1, but whatever, tastes differ.

On the 3 films that didn't make the list:

The Miracle at Morgan Creek ( is Sturges at his goofiest. It's one of those films you won't believe you haven't heard of much less seen. As I've said before, I saw a theater screening that was introduced by Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer, where they all lauded it as one of the funniest films ever made. They were right. We had to rewatch because there was so much laughter we missed lines.

Way Out West (1937). Comedy peaked with Laurel and Hardy and no one has approached their heights ever since. I understand how crazy this sounds, but if you don't believe me check out this movie and shorts like "Brats," "The Music Box," "Busy Bodies," "Dirty Work," "The Chimp," and "Oliver the Eighth." The sheer creativity and filmmaking talent displayed is stunning. Unfortunately, their features are not as well known or seen. I went with Way Out West as I slightly prefer it to the other popular choice, "Sons of the Desert," and hoped I'd get some traction. Not so. I understand why but it's a shame.

Bridesmaids (2011) - I'm baffled by this one. Relatively recent and one of the funniest films I've ever seen in a theater. Outrageously funny - I can't account for its absence.

All in all, I'm happier with this list than I thought I might be. I can nitpick the placement, but I'm pleased that 22 of 25 made either the top 100 or just outside it. I hope folks that haven't seen them will consider seeing The In Laws and Miracle, and please, if you do and post about it, tag me. I will try to catch the 2 films I haven't seen, Black Dynamite and What's Up Doc, and post about them too. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. Lots of fun!

Dr. Strangelove was an honorable mention. Although uneven (which is a complaint I have with the majority of Kubrick films), its comic high points are fine enough that I included it on the list that just missed it.

I did see Big Lebowski in theaters. I enjoyed it along with one of my friends as we were ahead of the curve when it came to appreciating that one. But not quite bust your gut funny enough to make my list.

My Clues for the Missed Ones (I snuck in hints in some of my thoughts of the top 10, by the way):

No Hepburn/Tracy films: Number 17 was Adam's Rib. A battle of the sexes fought between lawyers Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn who are on different sides of the same case involving a woman who shot her cheating husband. Featuring Judy Holliday as the woman in question (1 year away before winning an Oscar for Born Yesterday) and the Cole Porter song Farewell, Amanda, Rib succeeds in showcasing the narrow gap between men and women.

No Alexander Payne film: My number 18 was Election. Supposedly a comedy between a super student played by Reese Witherspoon and her skeptical teacher played by Matthew Broderick (in some subtle ways recalling Ferris Bueller), it proves to be a riotous takedown of the American election system as a race for class president turns into a three way race involving a nice, clueless football player and his lesbian sister. The race takes several turns and although the film skewers the process, it never goes after the participants.

My One Pointer was a Road Trip: Number 25 was Bubble Boy. A young man who lacks an immune system learns that a close friend he's got feelings for is getting married in Niagara Falls in three days and he goes on a road trip using a mobile bubble suit to stop the wedding. I liked how it was gleeful in how it skewered its targets in a non-judgmental way. Also, Jake Gyllenhaal does carry this along a-ways due to his likability.

Needed more Workplace Comedies: Nine to Five was an honorable mention. Three women bond over their disgust with the sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot boss. When one of them almost accidentally poisons him, they are forced to kidnap him when he threatens to call the cops on them. Nice mix of interesting characters (the atta-girl receptionist, Roz), funny situations (the newcomer's issues with the copy machine, the dream sequences) and a little light bondage (hard to believe this was rated PG) keep things going until the end. Plus, it introduced the world to the singular charms of Dolly Parton who also performs the theme song.

My List:
1. His Girl Friday
2. Duck Soup
3. Bringing Up Baby
4. Airplane!
5. Monty Python and Holy Grail
6. Young Frankenstein
7. Hot Fuzz
8. Blazing Saddles
9. Clue
10. Shaun of the Dead
11. Anchorman
12. Office Space
13. The Naked Gun
14. Caddyshack
15. Arsenic and Old Lace
16. A Fish Called Wanda
17. Adam's Rib
18. Election

19. This is Spinal Tap
20. The Jerk
21. Some Like It Hot
22. National Lampoon's Animal House
23. What We Do in the Shadows
24. It Happened One Night
25. Bubble Boy

HM: Trading Places, Happy Gilmore, Clueless, Mean Girls, Dr. Strangelove, Nine to Five