Tony Scott Is Dead

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
R.I.P

Famed director Tony Scott -- who directed "Top Gun" among many other major films -- jumped to his death today off an L.A. bridge ... this according to the L.A. County Coroner.

According to the Coroner, 68-year-old Scott -- Ridley Scott's brother -- jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island around 12:30pm.

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn said a suicide note was found in Scott's Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Scott directed such films as "Top Gun," "Beverly Hills Cop II," "Enemy of the State," and "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Authorities used sonar equipment to find Scott's body in the port's murky waters. His body was recovered at approximately 4:30pm ... four hours after he jumped.

His body has since been turned over to coroner officials.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/19/tony-s...#ixzz243eyw264

-TMZ

Suspect's Reviews

I have to wonder why this guy would commit suicide. Insane. I enjoyed some of movies like Days of Thunder, Enemy of the State and Unstoppable. I have a hard time really feeling bad for people who kill themselves (has a person who has had a family member do it I think it is selfish and cowardly). This is still pretty sad. And shocking. RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with Ridley and the rest of his family and friends.

that's what she said...
Sad news. There is always a solution instead of suicide... I feel bad for his friends/family. RIP Tony Scott... Idk your motive but I hope you found peace.

I didn't even know who this was. Does this mean Top Gun 2 won't happen now?

Maybe he had a terminal disease or something and just wanted to bail before it got really bad. R.I.P.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
R.I.P Mr. Scott. Good director, made some of my very favourite films. He shall be missed.

Semper Fooey
It isn't just that he took his life, but the way he did it,

I thought celebrities died in 3s. Lately it is like by the dozen.

Just heard the news, so sad. Condolences to his family

As a person who has tried many times suicide, I can understand his doing. Not saying that I approve, hey, I'm still here, didn't work for me and I live a damn fine life now that my depressions are past since 10 years so if it went for him like it did to me, he'd still shoot at us awesome movies like he did. The mind is a wild tool. It looses it sometimes and someone throwing himself off a bridge has something very wrong in his head that needs a fix.

Goodbye Sir, we enjoyed what you did very, very. very much.

I posted about this in the Movie News I've Learned Today thread.

Very sad news

I liked a lot of his films. The Hunger, True Romance, The Last Boy's Scout and Man On Fire - all high quality entertainment films, for me. He wasn't just Ridley's younger brother, he had his own identity. Can't believe it's suicide, either. He's done so much to be proud of. Goes to show that we don't truly know what goes on inside these people's lives, despite our speculation. We all think that having loads of cash and success would solve everything, but obviously even that wasn't enough to conquer Tony's problems.

Such a huge loss, his grasp on energetic action sequences and the sheer glossy sheen of most of his films meant that we rarely walked away from his films without feeling like we witnessed a good show.

Hope the British Film Institute do a big piece on him. He may have always worked for the studios, but he still did us proud.

RIP Tony, mate. ):

Very sad news indeed.

I have a hard time really feeling bad for people who kill themselves (has a person who has had a family member do it I think it is selfish and cowardly).
There are all sorts of reasons people commit suicide and if the rumoured depression was a contributing factor then we don't know what his head state was like.

Really don't like it when people comment willy nilly on a very complex issue, people who say people who commit suicide are 'weak and cowardly'. If you had an actual understanding of the mind and suicide, you wouldn't think that. You truly wouldn't.

Tony Scott Filmography

1980s: The Hunger (1983), Top Gun (1986), Beverly Hills Cops II (1987)
1990s: Revenge (1990), Days Of Thunder (1990), The Last Boy Scout (1991), True Romance (1993), Crimson Tide (1995),
The Fan (1996), Enemy Of The State (1998)
2000s: Spy Game (2001), Man On Fire (2004), Domino (2005), Deja Vu (2006), The Taking Of Pelham 123 (2009)
2010s: Unstoppable (2010)

I need to watch The Hunger again. I haven't really seen it since I recovered from a hangover after New Year's Eve for 2009. I love its opening sequence:

Warning (or maybe, Great News): Nudity

Maybe I could do a double bill of The Hunger and The Hunger Games.