Movies That Made You Cry!!!

Tools    

The ending of Pan's Labyrinth made me fell bad, like I watched something completely senseless. That's not sadness but the "bad movie feeling". I though it was a rather pretentious film: trying to be serious and stuff, but failing to engage me in any meaningful way.
You might want to return to it because that's a pretty inconceivable reaction.

Originally Posted by C-Angel
I watched an old film last night-The Breakfast Club.
It's not old, it's only a film from the 80s.
Remember when Molly Ringwald turned 16 in the 1984 movie, Sixteen Candles?

Well, yesterday was Molly Ringwald's birthday. She turned 45.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale. Not only that it made me cry, it made me depressed for days. Which is why I refuse to watch it again. I'm a dog owner myself and I absolutely love dogs, and I found Hachi to be a very powerful and emotional film.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Remember when Molly Ringwald turned 16 in the 1984 movie, Sixteen Candles?

Well, yesterday was Molly Ringwald's birthday. She turned 45.
Are you calling her old? Please, 45 is nothing. It's not as if we live in 15th century Europe where people are lucky to live past 30.

What is considered old versus what is recent is relative, but it still amuses me that some people think of the 1980's as being ancient history. If there are people alive who still remember it, then as far as I'm concerned it wasn't that long ago.

I think that the relative approach to age that you're talking about is the whole point of the Ringwald example. It's a simple generational marker that brings the passage of time into sharp relief. Same thing happens to me (and a lot of people my age, I'm sure) when I reflect on the fact that Jurassic Park is almost 20 years old. Is that a long time? In the history of cinema, no. In the history of me, yes.

I can remember three films that made me cry. Not welling up (plenty of those), but full-on crying, from joy or sadness, the first time I saw them:

The Green Mile
The Savages
An American Crime

that's what she said...
I just cried yesterday watching DEEP IMPACT. Once when "jenny" was hugging her dad as the tsunami wave from the astroid came and swallowed them. Also when "sarah" was crying no no no no no no as her parents were telling her to take the baby and hop on the motorcycle with "leo". It's very heartfelt, such a great movie.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I think that the relative approach to age that you're talking about is the whole point of the Ringwald example. It's a simple generational marker that brings the passage of time into sharp relief. Same thing happens to me (and a lot of people my age, I'm sure) when I reflect on the fact that Jurassic Park is almost 20 years old. Is that a long time? In the history of cinema, no. In the history of me, yes.
Yes, but when discussing art, cinema included, their age should be seen in the context of the history of the art-form itself and not your life, which is a rather jejune and egocentric way of discerning what is old and what is new. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Fair enough; it's all in the context, then. Though when someone just says they "watched an old film," I wouldn't assume they were trying to discuss film in the "context of the history of the art-form itself," especially when the film in question is Sixteen Candles. Not to denigrate it.

Since the issue is raised, though, I wonder how effectively we could establish what is and is not "old" even in the context of the entire art form. This particular film is 29 years old, which is same length of time between the aforementioned Jurassic Park and For a Few Dollars More, even spotting the latter a year, which I would guess most people would have called "old" at the time.

The interesting question, at least to me, is whether this is a generational tradition, or if the last couple of generations (mine included) are worse about it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, but when discussing art, cinema included, their age should be seen in the context of the history of the art-form itself and not your life, which is a rather jejune and egocentric way of discerning what is old and what is new. Just a pet peeve of mine.

For me its more like "What movies DON'T I cry at?"

Honest I am a sobbing mess through a lot of movies...

I just have a lot of feelings

EDIT

Case in point, I've just got to the end of 'Monsters, Inc.' and when Boo says "kitty" but you don't see her and only see Sully's reaction, I just welled up a bit. In normal life I'm not like this, its just with movies.

Not many of them, but one or two made me cry like a baby.
"I am Sam", with Sean Penn creation is just heartbreaking and "Jack" with Robin Williams (I cried a lot, but as a child). There's also a lot of laughter in this movie, but if you don't shed a single tear in these two you're not a human at all!

The Champ
Love Story
Terms of Endearment
Forrest Gump (monument scene)

I actually had something in my eye towards the end of "End of Watch" too.

And quite embarassingly, When Harry Met Sally

You may find it unusual or funny (probably funny) but I cried during The Fly 3 - the one about Jeff Goldblum's son. Kid had a dog who was taken into an experiment with teleportation. They told him that it went wrong and the puppy was killed, but few years later he found out that he survived but is heavily mutilated and in huge amount of pain. That was sad

Randomly visiting for now
I haven't posted in a long while but got sucked back in with Oscars Picks! My sad moments have been numerous but it all depends on how old I was at the time. I also tend to not like movies where the aim of the movie is to make you cry.

Early Life: Bambi and Lion King (mufasa!!!!)

Teenage Years: Remember the Titans (when Gerry becomes paralysed),
American Beauty (not the best movie but when Lester kills himself) and The Shawshank Redemption (when Brooks hangs himself, such a dear old man).

20's to now: Armageddon , I am Sam, Finding Neverland (beautifully sad though).

I'm a pushover. I could name so many movies.

I even cry when a contestant on The Voice succeeds against the odds in making it through to the next round.

20's to now: Armageddon , I am Sam, Finding Neverland (beautifully sad though).
I came in here to say Finding neverland.
that movie is the poster child for tear jerkers, what a setup! geeze lol

I had no idea what I was getting myself into