Your favorite book into movie

Tools    

My favourite was Pet Sematary by Stephen King, although the book was alot better i still loved the movie too.

Another by Stephen King... The Shining I think..it was a good version the one by Kubrick

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer was better than I expected.
Mhmm I have to disagree with that... I think it was awfully adapted, and it is one of my favorites books though

My favorite was Lord of The Rings. It's one of those rare times when the movie was even better than the book.

No need! I've just always been amused at how different the book is from the movies (plus I've reread it in the last few years and so can remember some of the details better).

Besides, as you said, the recent remake is a kick-ass movie with lots of nice little historical and cultural bits of business going on in the background. And really beautiful scenery!

I hope someday to get a copy of the Randolph Scott version from 1936 and watch it in series with the later remake to check the similarities and differences.

bako1
A clockwork orange.

What about a book that is almost unreadable? - though full of drama.

Two faves: Michael Ondaatje's THE ENGLISH PATIENT, beautifully re-sorted and filmed by Minghella with the help of the author.

UNDER THE VOLCANO: Malcolm Lowry's novel was kaleidoscope of surreal images, punctuated by a few moments of 1939 Mexican reality. John Huston combed out the threads and made a superb film in 1984 with Albert Finney. The spinning suicidal drunkenness of the principal character is still there, but Huston's version gives us a chance to follow this compelling story.

Long forgotten, but I can see it again, thanks to Criterion's new release on DVD. Hurray!

BANNED
I know everybody here would agree to me.. that Harry Potter was the best movie that been made coming from best seller books..

Welcome to the human race...
I seriously doubt that everyone will agree with you, but eh, your opinion.

I know everybody here would agree to me.. that Harry Potter was the best movie that been made coming from best seller books..
Which Harry Potter movie? Some of the ones I've seen were better than others. None of them inspired me to go to the library and check out the books.

Personally, I think the Lord of the Rings series of movies were more interesting. I read some of that story a long, long time ago, but don't recall being that impressed by the books.

But when it comes to great movies made from great best-seller books, it's hard to beat On the Waterfront, The Harder They Fall, Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, John Huston's remake of The Maltese Falcon, The Red Badge of Courage, or even Gone With the Wind, which was promoted as the ultimate book-to-movie project.

"The Killers," a very short story by Hemmingway, inspired two full-length movies by the same name in which the original story is hardly more than the opening scene. The Story of GI Joe was based on of Ernie Pyle's Pulitzer-winning but brief column about a group of GIs mourning the death of their captain in the fighting in Italy. And The Best Years of Our Lives was suggested by a picture spread in Look magazine about returning World War II veterans. I think movies like those will still be screened by fans when Potter and LoR have joined the dusty memories of Star Wars.

Oh I just watched The Thin Man recently and I must say I really enjoyed it. For the most part I found it to be a pretty good adaptation of the book (though it has been about a year since I read it). They did leave out a lot of subplot around the family, and especially the relationship between Nick and Dorothy or how creepy Dorothy's brother is (they touched on that, but not to the depth of the book).

All in all it was a very enjoyable film and I am looking forward to watching the rest of them.

Oh I just watched The Thin Man recently and I must say I really enjoyed it. For the most part I found it to be a pretty good adaptation of the book (though it has been about a year since I read it). They did leave out a lot of subplot around the family, and especially the relationship between Nick and Dorothy or how creepy Dorothy's brother is (they touched on that, but not to the depth of the book).

All in all it was a very enjoyable film and I am looking forward to watching the rest of them.
There are a couple of reasons that The Thin Man is so good. First, it was based on and closely followed the Dashiell Hammett novel by the same name. Hammett, who had himself worked as a private eye before becoming a writer, is credited with taking the murder mystery out of English drawing rooms and into the streets of American tough guys and tough investigators like Sam Spade and Nick Charles (wgi was tougher in the book than onscreen). Moreover, director W.S. "Woody" Van Dyke got to make the original Thin Man only by promising the studio to shoot in 3 weeks. He did it in 12 days, so there wasn't much time for fiddling with the plot or the book's original dialogue.

The main reason, however, was the incredible on-screen chemistry between Powell and Loy. In the days of strict sexual codes that demanded on-screen couples have twin beds, it was said that Loy and Powell were the only on-screen couple that people actually believe slept together (in real life, they didn't and were good friends). A lot of viewers then and now thought The Thin Man title referred to the slender Powell. But in both the book and the film it refers to a murder victim. However, the thin man moniker stuck and so was repeated in film after film. In one of the series (I'm thinking the second picture), you see a very young James Stewart in a role very different from those he later played.

The Lord Of The Rings - Tolkien
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Phileine zegt sorry - Ronald Giphart

That's about it. Too bad some great dutch novels have never turned into movies. I'm also reading up on my english literature

Orwell. I so much love orwell. I do. 1984 was great, but Animal Farm was supreme Im a big adversary of communism, i think it's an ever failing politcal system. The idea is ok, but it just can work in this world. The way orwell wrote Animal Farm on the Sovjet Union was just amazing. I am talking about the one made in 1954!

And do check my "art": Deviant

I really enjoyed the adaptation and the book for

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

That's exactly what I thought about it.

Also, Children of Men. Good book, good film, although they are not at all the same plot, tone or characters. It is like the film took the basic idea of the book and took it in a whole different direction, which came out with a good film. But I'd still like to see a more faithful adaptation of the book on screen.
The Counte of Monte Cristo
Gone with the wind
Pride and Prejudice
Devil Wears Prada
The painted veil
The Counte of Monte Cristo is such a captivating book,the masterpiece by Dumaspčre,Alexandre,I like the movie adapted from this book,which was done by Americans,but there is no denying that the movie was not a faithful adaption,the ending,which makes people feel happier than the book,is actually being too ideal and somewhat unrealistic,I know that is movie and movie is above the real life and perhaps what is good for me to do is to relish watching Edmond Dantes get revenge and live happily ever after after going through all the torment,bad fortune and betrayal.But is rather misses the spirit of the work.But it rather misses the larger dipiction of the times and what is about real life.

I do not really believe what goes around comes around,as the man said in the movie:Life is a storm,my young friend, you will bask in the sunlight one moment,be shattered on the rocks the next.
Life is unpredictable and has great coincidence in store for us,the movie has the cross-starred couple being together in the end,whic h is contradictory to the book,and to some extent i do not agree with this seemingly happy ending.
pls,how could Mercedes and her son shrug away being a wife and a son to a man for years(even he had been irresponsible) without shedding a tear.
I watched the movie for the first time long ago and reviewed it recently,anyway,if it were not for the book and the comparison between the two,I would say it was great,and I still think it is great,but the book is better still.

Gone with the wind is actually my favourite book of all time,and i love the film adapted from it,starring Clark Gable and Viven Leigh,they both had a good understanding of the figures,it was a huge success in the Oscar too.I am glad.

I like the books transformed into films.
I once met a Canadian guy who said the Cronicles of Narnia is a great book but the movie is much less good.Anybody who has read the book and seen the movie,come to talk about it.

Falling Angel - William Hjortsberg (movie - Angel Heart)
All your choices were great, particularly TKAM and the one above. I just read that book (again) as it was recently re-released. One of my favorite novels.

I love Raymond Chandler books almost above all others but I never liked any of the movies based on his work very much. They just failed to capture it for me (I mean Elliot Gould as Marlowe?)

I know Holden is winding up to punch me so I'll exit the thread while I still can.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
What about Hammett's Sam Spade? I really love Bogart, having read the novel more than a normal person would.

I liked that one, I just don't don't like Bogie as Marlowe. I did like The Big Sleep... it just wasn't what I pictured in my mind I guess. I have to rewatch Lady in the Lake too, it's been a lot of years and my perspective may have changed.

Certifiably troglodytic.
Probably, To Kill A Mockingbird as Caitlyn pointed out above...

A book I enjoyed (but was cinematically mauled) was Crichton's Timeline.

I'd like to see Connie Willis' Doomsday Book put to film.

Actually The best and I enjoy most book is JK Rowling's Harry Potter it was a great story....well it lacks information in movies but I think it was great on seeing how they can find real actors from the description from the book. It was great seeing real character with the same face!!!...