Favorite Woody Allen Film?

Tools    

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by fry
sorry, I would rather hang out with Grandma for an afternoon than watch one of his movies

You don't have to apologize for having bad taste. It's not something you can control.

I love Woody Allen so so so so so so much. It's wonderful being a Woody Allen fan, because a new movie of his comes out every year pretty much, and even when they're not up to par (which these days, unfortunately, is the case more often than not), have no fear, for a new one will be coming soon! I'm looking forward to Cassandra's Dream, and the one after that is being filmed in Spain, and will star Penelope Cruz! so I hear...
Anyways, my absolute favorite is Broadway Danny Rose, but a few others that are absolute must-sees that I don't hear get the love I think they deserve, at least as far as most casual Woody Allen appreciators are concerned, and those are Husbands and Wives, Anything Else, and Shadows and Fog.
Husbands and wives is a great documentary-style (almost nature documentary) examination of the same types of affluent manhattan couples he always deals with. It's a sad, sometimes dark, little work, and the most dramatic of his movies that he appears in.
Anything Else has a cover that makes it look like a crap teen comedy (as the big face of christina ricci and the goffily struggling body of jason biggs would imply), BUT, I believe it is one of his absolute funniest movies, and a great self-referential revisit/revision of some well-treaded territory, notably from Annie Hall and Broadway Danny Rose. (Danny Devito has a great role as a loser agent, much like Danny, only a much less sympathetic character in this one.)
Shadows and Fog is one of his most experimental and star-studded movies. An homage to Brecht, Kafka, and in general, a more artistic approach to showing his appreciation for existentialist thought, as opposed to his usual strategy of just having his characters name drop, and discuss, which by the way, I LOVE!

long live woody! can't wait to read his new book, "Mere Anarchy"

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I haven't seen a whole lot of his films, I've seen Bullets over Broadway, Sleeper, Whats Up Tiger Lilly, and Annie Hall. I think Sleeper is my favourite, it's so funny.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It has always been a toss up between Broadway Danny Rose and Annie Hall, for me too.

If forced, I'd pick the former. Such a wonderfully human and big-hearted film, and proof that the little guy can act.

Hollywood Ending (and by the way the worst by far for me was Scoop)

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Woody Allen is one of the most prolific directors around with a lot of good, some great, and a lot of bad. Everyone has a favorite Allen film whether it's the classic Annie Hall or an oddball pick like Sleeper. What are your favorites?

Mine are:
Crimes and Misdemeanors - a noble, hilarious, and viciously cynical "comedy" from Allen. Both his most serious and thought provoking along with one of his funniest. Everything to love about Allen can be found here!

Love and Death - The last film before Allen's transition into his more serious period. I laughed harder in this film than any other in recent memory. Very cheesy at times, but incredibly funny and smart at the same time.

here is the same thread

Best=Annie Hall

Zelig and Midnight in Paris are both great

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's what I said from this thread:

As a director:

Hannah and Her Sisters
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Bullets Over Broadway
Manhattan
Manhattan Murder Mystery

I'd have to add Play It Again, Sam if we include films he wrote and starred in, although Herbert Ross directed it.

There are many others which are on the cusp and could be included without my feeling guilty.
Love Zelig, Midnight in Paris and Love and Death.

Woody Allen is definitely one of my favourite writer/directors. Yeah, he's had a few stinkers, but I find more often than not I enjoy his films, even the ones that aren't very well reviewed.

My favourites:

1. Manhattan
2. Deconstructing Harry
3. Annie Hall
4. Husbands and Wives
5. Sleeper

I also really liked Anything Else, Match Point, Vicky Christina Barcelona and Midnight in Paris.

I saw:

- Play it again, Sam (He didn't direct it, but he was the writer and the leading role, so I assume he was a little involved in the directing process)
- Annie Hall
- Manhattan
- The Purple Rose of Caïro
- Crimes and Misdemeanors
- Deconstructing Harry
- Sweet and Lowdown
- Match Point
- Midnight in Paris

Crimes and Misdemeanors is one of my favorite movies of all time and also my favorite Woody Allen movie to date. Midnight in Paris is my second favorite.

Untill now there wasn't a single film of Woody Allen that I didn't like, so I will continue to watch more of his work in the future for sure!

EDIT:
Watched recently:

- Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
- Hannah and Her Sisters

Liked them all!

I've never seen anything he's directed or acted in, probably never will.
yep,me too.There are times when I decide to watch something made by him.Then I go to RT or IMDB to check out summaries and pick one film which seems most interesting and actually no one does look promising so I end up not watching.

Crimes And Misdemeanors is his masterpiece to me, but Annie Hall is also excellent. Sleeper was a great comedy. Of his later stuff, I thought Match Point was terrific, and Sweet And Lowdown was very good.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
There are so many good ones..... my faves are

Sleeper
Crimes and Misdemeanors
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Annie Hall