Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Exactly. He's wrong for the teams he plays for, which is why I can't fathom why they'd want him at Sunderland or why he'd want to go there. With the exception of the obvious, of course.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Well, I'd think that Sunderland are more of a footballing side than Stoke, for starters. Then again, most teams are more of a footballing side than Stoke.

I just wonder if he'll be dirt cheap and the only reason Bruce is interested is that Sunderland's owners have finally put the kibosh on him spunking their money up the wall?

Poor old Tuncay must be cursing the fact that he's not in the same class as his Football Manager version of a few years ago. He always used to get a transfer to Liverpool.

Talking of FM, will you be buying FM2011, HK?

Talking of FM, will you be buying FM2011, HK?
Probably not, Tacitus.

Firstly, I've got a nice game going, atm. Secondly, there's not really been that much change from last season in terms of personell and, therefore thirdly, I don't really think it's worth the 'upgrade'.

Of course, come the end of October any or all of those things may change but, for now, I'd doubt I'll be getting it.

I doubt if I'll rush out and buy it on release because it'll be £15 in a few months, like always. Of course, one day I'll walk into Tescos to get some sprouts and it'll be there. Looking at me.

Steve Bruce, eh? Top manager, as I've always said. He obviously reads this thread.

Looks like Paul Konchesky's move to Liverpool may be only a day or two away at most, after he was seen at Anfield today.

AC Milan and Barcelona have agreed a season long loan for Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with a option to buy him for £19.7m (24m Euros)

Well it's Sunday, so it's Transfer Gossip Sunday. With the transfer window closing on Tuesday, there's a lot of gossip.

The News Of The World reckon that Roy Hodgson will make one last try for Carlton Cole. They also say that Paul Konchesky is nearly a Liverpool player. However, their interest in PSV Eindhoven forward Ola Toivonen looks to be over because they want £13m.

The Sunday Express say that Hodgson will make an attempt to loan Bayern Munich's Mario Gomez.

The People are talking Jack Rodwell to United for £20m. I'd be stunned if this happened.

The Mail On Sunday are saying that West Ham may cash in on Scott Parker. They reckon that Spurs are at the front of the queue and that £8m could do the trick. Can't see this happening myself and not for that cash, either.

Back to the NOTW where they tell us that Spurs still want Klaas-Jan Huntelaar on loan, but will look at Giuseppe Rossi if they can't get him.

Still with the NOTW where they say that Spurs have enquired about Rio Ferdinand, but were told not to bother.

The Mail On Sunday say that Robbie Keane's on his way to Villa or Newcastle.

To The Sunday People where they tell us that Franco di Santo is on his way to Wigan for £2m from Chelsea.

The Sunday Mirror reckon that Reading's Adam Federici has been identified by Fulham as a replacement for Mark Schwarzer who, of course, is going to Arsenal.

Still with the Mirror, who tell us that Jermaine Jenas' moves to Villa and Inter have broken down so he's staying at WHL. Does anyone think that there's ever been anything in the Jenas to Inter rumours? For the last 3 years we've been told that he's on his way to Italy (usually Inter) and, of course, it's never happened. Fleet Street bollocks, I reckon, but I just wondered if there was anything in it beyond Mouriho saying he's a good player.

IMScouting says that West Ham have almost secured the signature of AFC Valenciennes left-back Siaka Tiene.

Robert Pires is a free agent, so he's being linked to the Premier League. West Ham, Wigan and Bolton are all said to be interested. Of course, this was predicted at the start of the summer, too, probably with the same clubs mentioned, so I wouldn't put too much faith in this.

NOTW say that Craig Bellamy will stay at Cardiff if they get promoted to the Premier League.

Arsenal forward Nacer Barazite says his proposed loan move to Rangers isnt' dead yet and he still hopes to beat the transfer deadline.

The People say that Gerard Houllier could take over at Aston Villa if they don't keep Kevin MacDonald on as manager.

However, The Mirror says that Jurgen Klinsmann is the man Villa want.

In the People Javier Mascherano denies that he went on strike to force through his move to Barcelona.

AC Milan and Barcelona have agreed a season long loan for Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with a option to buy him for £19.7m (24m Euros)
I'm trying to work out how much Barcelona will have lost on The World's Most Overrated Player should Milan take them up on their offer? I reckon, with the cost of Eto'o taken into the equation, he cost Barca £50mil. No wonder they're skint.

Always thought it was a mad transfer, especially because I think that Eto'o is markedly the better player of the two.

According to the BBC, he cost £35m plus Eto. So I reckon that's, at least, £55m-£60m and then there's the obligartory signing-on fee, what's that? Another £2.5m-£3m? That's a loss, if he goes for the agreed fee, of around £35m. That's a big hit for a deal that never looked right to most of us and a club that had trouble paying their wage bill this summer.

One day to go until the window closes. How many of these will occur?

The Sun say United will tempt Everton with Carrick plus £10m for Jack Rodwell.

The Express have Spurs making a last bid of £15m for Ashley Young. This time, though, they're willing to throw in one (or maybe more) of these three, Robbie Keane, Jermaine Jenas and Alan Hutton.

Caughtoffside have United keeping track of Lee Cattermole.

Back to The Sun, where they say West Ham have rejected a £7m bid from Liverpool for Carlton Cole. However, The Sun also say that Brescia Andrea Caracciolo has been identified as a replacement should he go.

Another Sun story, who unlike other papers, say that AC Milan won't loan out Huntelaar to Spurs but will sell him to them for £11m.

IMScouting reckon that Spurs are talking to Inter about Sulley Muntari.

The Times say that Wigan will offer Bolton £3m for Ali-al Habsi.

Yet more from The Sun who have West Brom offering £3m to Villa for Steve Sidwell.

Back to IMScouting who say that Barcelona will make one more move in the transfer market. They say it's Man City's Robinho or Valencia's Juan Mata.

Juve want Arsenal's Armand Traore on loan. That's in The Sun.

The Mirror are saying that Newcastle want to make a £8m swoop for Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel. Had to include this one, look at his name. Wolfswinkel? Fabulous.

More talk of Asamoah Gyan to Sunderland in The Mirror. £15m is the tag.

More in The Mirror it seems that Stoke are looking at adding a few. They say they'll make a £7m bid for Jermaine Jenas, and they also have Tony Pulis keen on Portsmouth skipper Marc Wilson, Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega and Middlesbrough defender David Wheater.

Whilst The Mail have Pulis wanting to take Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan.

In The Mirror they say that Blackpool have made a bid for Barnsley's forward Adam Hammill. The paper also has Bolton looking at Rodrigo Moreno, the Benfica youngster, on loan.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Harry's feeling the transfer heat...

So what do you guys think about Moyes to Everton? Is it going to happen? Unlike the transfer window, it could go on beyond today. I can't see it myself, I can't see the point, especially if he is in the frame for the United job.

Redknapp was in a pissy little mood in his MOTD interview too. More use of the words 'I' and 'me' than the average Sam Allardyce monologue, and that's saying something.

Wondered how long it'd be this season before he mentioned where the underperforming but proven top six side Spurs were in the league when he took over.

The Moyes thing is a strange one, no doubt. If he does go it'll be a move sideways (or even slightly downwards) unless Lerner has promised loads of cash, which I doubt. Maybe there's friction with the Everton board? Hard to imagine, I know.

Still, the bookies aren't in the habit of naming someone as one of the two favourites for a job unless they've had some kind of info - whether it be a club insider or Moyes' representatives - which is why it's hard to totally dismiss their other favourite, Mark Hughes.

EDIT - I'd still put Jose as favourite for the Man Utd job. Real aren't in the habit of keeping even successful managers for too long and the man himself has been making sly digs at most of the top English clubs' bosses recently, except Fergie.

I see Jose at United. I know there's people at Old Trafford who want another long term dynasty, but I don't see that happening again. Certainly not anytime soon and, more than that, I think it'd be incredibly difficult for the person who follows Fergie to be expected to stick around for 10 or 20 years with continued success. I think Jose is exactly the right man for the job. Of course, it may depend on the money available at United when the offer comes. However, from what I've heard about the way Jose acts when he's at Old Trafford, I think he'd love to be the man to take over from Fergie. I think that challenge alone might be enough to entice him to the club.

Here's what's happening so far on transfer deadline day.

Robinho is having a medical at AC Milan.

Spurs have signed Croatian goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa on loan from Spartak Moscow.

Depending on where you look, Hleb has already signed a loan deal at Birmingham or will in the next couple of hours.

Great rumour that Rafa has asked Inter for one more big signing. They've agreed and he's asked for, yep, you guessed it, Cesc Fabregas.

Salif Diao's back at Stoke, signing a 2 year deal.

Charles N'Zogbia is being linked to Sunderland. Not a big surprise considering how the deal at Birmingham fell apart.

Some say that Eidur Gudjohnsen is at Stoke to sign. However, other reports have him in London and signing for Fulham.

Besiktas want Robbie Keane on loan, but Harry wants another go at Scott Parker and wants to use him as part of the deal.

Armand Traore has gone on loan to Juve for 500,000 Euros.

Sky Sports have Ryan Babel going to Spurs to try and make a deal.

If there's a Ryan shaped hole at Liverpool, it could be more than filled by Fernando Llorente, if the rumours he's on his way to Liverpool are correct.

Seems there might be something in the Mario Gomez to Anfield rumours. His agent is quoted as saying "When a club like Liverpool enquires, their interest cannot be pushed off the table,"

Gilardino, Llorente, Iaquinta and Carlton Cole are all being rumoured to actually be at Anfield. What kind of tactical revolution is Roy planning? Maybe he's been looking at old dvds of Ozzie Ardiles' time at Spurs.

Huge surprise. After a couple of weeks of constant rumours in the papers, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has joined... Schalke. Not Spurs. Schalke. Great work Fleet street.

David Trezeguet's gone to Spanish side Hercules.

Rennes still waiting to hear if Gyan has joined Sunderland or not.

Harry still wants Pienaar.

The one that's really catching my eye at the moment is Drenthe to Stoke or Fulham.

OK, that'll do for now.

Daniel Gabbidon is tweeting that Ryan Babel may be joining them at West Ham.

Looks like Eidur Gudjohnsen is going to Stoke, as that's where the chopper's landed.

Paul Konchesky has signed at Liverpool with Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic going the other way.

Tom Cleverley's gone to Wigan on loan.

Looks like Schwarzer's going to stay at Fulham.

Of all the 'potential' Liverpool forwards, Carlton Cole seems to be the one that's happening. Which will be a huge surprise to... Um... No one.

Thanks for all the updates HK.

I don't usually get too caught up in this transfer stuff but I must admit, i'm relishing the prospect of Van der Vaart in a Spurs shirt. It'll be intersting to see if we beat the deadline and tied this one up. Perhaps Harry is a wheeler-dealer after all...

Not really too exciting a day and nothing that captured my imagination (not as much as the rumours, anyway) but Van Der Vaart for £8m, if it's allowed to go through (which I expect it will) is a great signing. Even better when you see that he was an £18m signing for Bayern the day before.

The BBC website has put together the 'big' signings of the last day.

Jean Beausejour [Club America - Birmingham] Undisclosed
Marcus Bent [Birmingham - Wolves] Loan
DJ Campbell [Leicester - Blackpool] Undisclosed
Tom Cleverley [Manchester United - Wigan] Loan
Franco Di Santo [Chelsea - Wigan] Undisclosed
Eidur Gudjohnsen [Monaco - Stoke] Loan
Asamoah Gyan [Rennes - Sunderland] £13m
Alexander Hleb [Barcelona - Birmingham] Loan
Emiliano Insua [Liverpool - Galatasaray] Loan
Paul Konchesky [Fulham - Liverpool] Player exchange
Robinho [Manchester City - AC Milan] Undisclosed
Gylfi Sigurdsson [Reading - Hoffenheim] £6m
Joseph Yobo [Everton - Fenerbahce] Loan

I'd also add Martin Jiranek's move to Birmingham as a pretty good signing. Not sure if he's quite quick enough, but he's been a decent player over the years.

My favourite rumour of the day was Ronaldiho to Sunderland if Gyan didn't sign. Who knows, maybe he would've. Edgar Davids plays for Crystal Palace now.

Thanks for all the updates HK.

I don't usually get too caught up in this transfer stuff but I must admit, i'm relishing the prospect of Van der Vaart in a Spurs shirt. It'll be intersting to see if we beat the deadline and tied this one up. Perhaps Harry is a wheeler-dealer after all...
I'm relishing the prospect of Van der Vaart's rather fragrant wife, Sophie.

Good timing, too, seeing as Mrs Aquilani has departed.

EDIT - Can't believe the biggest news in this rather dull transfer window has been missed! Cliftonville's 19 year old striker Liam Boyce joining Werder Bremen, of course.

An unusual deal in that the kid was highly thought of but no English or Scottish clubs seemed too interested. He was due to sign for a German 2nd division side but that fell through and Werder stepped in.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Talking of local pluck, liking the Swindon Advertiser's approach to Southampton's photo phuckery...

"Keeper David Lucas pulls off a fine first half save to keep out Rickie Lambert's free-kick"

---

And damn this transfer window. It's still going on! (I'll be happy with all the bedevilment if Spurs end up with the Vart tho, no doubt )

EDIT: Sweet!

"Van der Vaart deal confirmed"

lol when the new rules were layed down about 25 man squads and homegrown talent everyones heads turned to Arsenal as if to say "what the F**K are you guys gona do now".

Ironically we have so many players under 21 we've listed a squad of 76 players.

This article : http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...o-a-farce.html

is more or less saying that Arsenal have turned the new rules into a farse, but what were they supposed to do, 'not list the talent from the best academy in the world'? The silly rules were set and we've adhered to them. The sun is a bunch of stuck up racists snobs that care only for the success of the english national team, but ironically are so blind to what were doing and what were building to see were doing more than the other big 3-4-5 what ever these days.

Wallcott, Wilshere, Gibbs, Lansberry, Cruise, Eastmond, Hoyte, Randall, Em-thomas, Watt, Lansberry, Frimpong ect, Belive me, the Gunnners have the next generation of England first teamers in there reserves, there not listed in our squad because they don't have to be, they're under 21.

Gerrrr I hate the sun.

Club with proven youth policy happens to have loads of young players. Hardly a great headline, is it?

The Sun are just looking for another easy excuse as to why their brave lads such as Lamps, Stevie G, Wazza and England's Lion Big Brave JT constantly fail at international level. They'd hoped that the 25 man squad rule would rid the Prem of all those pesky foreigners taking up the squad places of super-talented young Englishmen but had failed to realise that young players are exempt so clubs can continue largely as before.