Lets Talk Football

Tools    

It'll be a test of the average Liverpool fan's moral compass (don't laugh) now that Kenny Huang's financial backers for his bid appear to be the Chinese government. Still, the 'You'll Never Wok Alone' headlines have been gold.

Red army! Red army! Red army!

I wonder if the players will now march out of the Anfield tunnel?

All the Bindipper press over the last few days has reminded me, why do fans, pundits and even players refer to Liverpool as 'Liverpool Football Club'? Crikey it's annoying. People may say it helps distinguish the club from the city, after all it's not a one club city, but still, mention it at the beginning of a report by all means, don't continue to trot the whole bloody mouthful out each and every time.

The BBC website tells us that West Ham have made their fifth signing of the summer after completing a deal for New Zealand defender Winston Reid from Danish side FC Midtjylland.

Sky Sports reports that Liverpool have had a £2m bid for Middlesbrough goalkeeper Brad Jones rejected.

Robinho has told Man City he wants to stay at Santos, after his six-month loan deal at the club ended. This one goes one way and then the other. I think he'll start the season at Man City unless they can offload him somewhere. Unfortunately for both clubs, Santos don't have the money to pay him, let alone by him.

sport.co.uk carry an exclusive interview with Alex Hleb, who they say told them on Monday that he welcomed the interest of Harry Redknapp and Tottenham stating:

“I have a contract with Barcelona and I must respect that, but I heard about the link with Tottenham Hotspur and I think they are a great club. I appreciate their interest and we will see what happens in the future. “ His agent has confirmed that Sevilla are also interested.

More from sport.co.uk where, soon to be former, Juventus winger Sebastian Giovinco says he wants to go to Arsenal.

The Star say that Mario Balotelli's proposed move to Man City is off because he demanded £180,000-a-week in wages. Seeing as one of the papers said that he was going to City, even though United offered him more money, this seems unlikely... Unless that was untrue. Ah, Fleet Street.

Imscouting say, via Spanish paper Mundo Deportivo, that City are looking at Forlan, if the Mario Balotelli deal falls through... Which the Star say it has.

The Mirror say that Liverpool think that AC Milan (and former Arsenal) midfielder Mathieu Flamini is a possible replacement for Mascherano. They also report that Roy Hodgson has confirmed he is close to making Juventus' Danish midfielder Christian Poulsen, who is a replacement for you know who. Now, whether that's the paper finding out Flamini is second choice, should Poulsen fall through or them just making it up, I don't know.

Caughtoffside say that, should Fabregas move to Barca (yep, I know) that Arsene will make a move for Arteta. *sigh* It's like it's May all over again.

They also say that Wenger is ready to make an offer for Joe Hart.

While footylatest say he's about to make a move for Federico Marchetti at Cagliari.

imscouting say that Montpellier have put a huge 28m euro (£23m) price-tag on Emir Spahic after reported interest from Arsenal.

The Mirror say that West Ham want a loan deal for Ajax striker Miralem Sulejmani and hope to conclude a deal within days.

While The Mail say Zenit St Petersburg are considering a £21m bid for Yury Zhirkov, the Chelsea defender.

They also say that Carlo Ancelotti wants to finish his summer spending by buying Shakhtar Donetsk defender Dario Srna.

caughtoffside report that United will go for Hamburg's attacking midfielder Piotr Trochowski if they fail to get Mesut Ozil from Werder Bremen.

The Mirror bring us news that Birmingham manager Alex McLeish is lining up a shock move for Juventus midfielder Mauro Camoranesi.

Whereas The Sun report that AZ Alkmaar striker Moussa Dembele has said that Birmingham want him.

The Sun also say that Stoke will get James Beattie for £1.5m

The Mirror say that Celtic want Craig Bellamy on loan again.

They also tell us that Mark Hughes wants Luke Young from Villa, but passed up the chance to buy Steve Sidwell.

Daniel Cousin will leave Hull and move to Greek side Larissa.

The Mail come to us with this story. They say that United have told Bristol City that they can have Michael Owen on loan, after telling them they can't have Danny Welbeck. Really? Hmmm...

United midfielder Tom Cleverley will go on loan to Sunderland or Bolton, according to talkSPORT, or:

He'll go on loan to Wigan, according to The Mail.

In The Mirror there's a story in which Joey Barton has grown a moustache in an attempt to help build team spirit at St James Park for the coming season. Well, it beats kicking the **** out of them or burning them with cigars, doesn't it?

The Mirror says that Liverpool may look at Reading's Adam Federici after missing out on Brad Jones.

They also say that M'ON will let James Milner go and use the money to buy winger Aiden McGeady.

The Telegraph say that Fabregas has decided against a move to Barcelona this summer and will issue a formal statement to confirm it in the next 24 hours. "decided against" yeah, right.

Lastly, The Mirror tell us that City's Emmanuel Adebayor says he wants to join Juventus after City tried to sign Mario Balotelli.

The People's Republic of Clogher
All the Bindipper press over the last few days has reminded me, why do fans, pundits and even players refer to Liverpool as 'Liverpool Football Club'? Crikey it's annoying. People may say it helps distinguish the club from the city, after all it's not a one club city, but still, mention it at the beginning of a report by all means, don't continue to trot the whole bloody mouthful out each and every time.
Bindipper? How very ... quaint.

'Liverpool Football Club' is what's written on their badge I suppose. Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton don't even have FC but, for instance, Fergie trots out the old "Manchest Niteed Fitba Club" regularly and that's not just an excuse to do a bad Govan accent.

This has piqued my interest, actually. I'm in no way bored.

Chelsea Football Club
Birmingham City Football Club
Blackpool Football Club

Looking at the current Prem lineup I thought that 'football club' in the badge was way more common than I thought once these three came up during an alphabetical search but it stopped with Blackpool. 4 out of 20 clubs then.

Apart from Blackpool (how many times have Chelsea won the Lancashire Senior Cup? None, that's how many) Liverpool are the only one of those four with a real history. They've also got a disproportionally high number of their ex-players and fans in the media - all the glory hunters were Liverpool fans when I was a kid. They no doubt see saying 'Liverpool Football Club' as some sort of badge of honour.

You didn't think I'd answer this seriously, did you?

Maybe it's cos it's the name of the city too. The Chinese government might be thinking of buying Liverpool, we do have a good Chinatown so maybe they've got their eye on the whole place. You'd think you were in China if you're in the betting shop on the corner of our street at home sometimes!

Tatty,

No I didn't, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!

Christine,

Haha yes! It'll be interesting to see what happens with this Chinese bid. Some economist suggested the government's interest might stem from a desire to get China more involved in global sport. Mind you, they have just spent G-d knows how much on the Olympics so I can't understand why they feel such a pressing need to add to the country's sporting image.

Anyway, I write to you both a very happy Spurs fan after we drew Young Boys in the CL qualifier. At home second leg as well, which is always an advantage. I got a text from my brother just afterwards - 'Get in Young Boys!' - that's all i'm going to pass on of the many, many unfunny jokes I have received since midday.

Maybe it's cos it's the name of the city too. The Chinese government might be thinking of buying Liverpool, we do have a good Chinatown so maybe they've got their eye on the whole place. You'd think you were in China if you're in the betting shop on the corner of our street at home sometimes!
Ohhhh, now that's got me thinking about a fabulous Chinese restaurant we used to frequent in Liverpool. I forget the name of it now but it had an all-you-can-eat buffet.

One of my first Fantasy League teams was called Young Boys of Michael Jackson...

M'ON is resigned to losing James Milner to City. He's quoted as saying:
"We didn't play him against Valencia as there could be something happening in terms of the transfer over the weekend or Monday or Tuesday,"
As well as signing James Milner, City manager Roberto Mancini is also confident of signing Mario Balotelli:

"We are speaking with Inter and we will try to get an agreement," he added of the proposed Balotelli switch.
Carlo Ancelotti has denied that he is looking to sign Benfica left-back Fabio Coentrao as a replacement for Ashley Cole.

"It is not true, totally rubbish," said Ancelotti, who has recently stated he is not going to sell Cole.

Marca carry a story in which Dr Marc Martens, the surgeon who operated on Kaka's knee, says Kaka put his career at risk by playing for Brazil at the World Cup.

Christian Poulsen will join Liverpool soon, according his agent Jorn Bonnesen who told Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet: "It won't take more than a week before this is sorted out."

TalkSPORT have said that Spurs could hijack Stoke's £10m-move for Nice striker Loic Remy. Y'know, the Loic Remy that was going to West Ham and then, possibly, Liverpool.

insidefutbol says that Philipp Degen will be on his way from Liverpool to Stuttgart.

They also say that Marseille are thinking about making a bid for Didier Drogba and that he's one of three potential Marseille targets along with Fiorentina's Alberto Gilardino and Ajax's Luis Suarez.

While sport.co.uk say that Liverpool and United will have to wait until next summer to sign Steven Defour according to the player's agent with him likely to stay at Standard Liege this summer.

The Daily Mail reports that Real will use Karim Benzema as a makeweight for get Ashley Cole.

imscouting say that Man City are still in contact with Barcelona about the availability of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Stories coming from the Italian sport papers suggest that AC Milan are still keen on Giovani Dos Santos, but Spurs don't want to let the player go after he impressed during the World Cup.

Still at Spurs and The Mirror say that Harry will make a bid for Scott Loach, the keeper at Watford. He made a bid in January, but it was rejected.

caughtoffside say that Arsenal want to take defender Philippe Mexes from Roma.

The Daily Mail report that United goalkeeper target Anders Lindegaard is being monitored by at least two other unnamed Premier League clubs.

caughtoffside say that Roy Hodgson wants to take Shaun Wright-Phillips and Wayne Bridge to Anfield.

The Star have quite a story, if true, about Stoke spending £23m on three players. Loic Remy (of course) striker Kenwyne Jones and Ipswich forward Jon Walters. Stoke spending £23m? Can it be true?

However, the Mirror says that the deal with Loic Remy is in danger of falling apart after a visit to the club ended in a breakdown over the fee and terms.

Whereas The Mail say that Wigan have had a £3m bid for Tuncay rejected.

Meanwhile Aston Villa are said to be interested in Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. Along with Bayern Munich and Spurs. That's from footylatest.

West Brom will take Nicky Shorey from Aston Villa for £1.5m.

footylatest also say that Lazio want Jonas Gutierrez from Newcastle. However, the player says he wants to stay for St.James Park.

Excellent news, Christine. He's such an important player for Everton. You've just got to hope he stays injury free.

Some news first.

Bolton's Fabrice Muamba has pledged his future to the club and signing a new four-year deal.

Michael Carrick will miss the Community Shield and the Newcastle game for United. While United striker Mame Biram Diouf has moved to Blackburn on a season-long loan. So long as Big Sam stays there (if the takeover goes ahead) then I think he'll get a few games as, for those who've seen him, he looks like a Big Sam player.

OK, onto the gossip.

Lyon have said that John Mensah is to return to Sunderland on loan.

The Sun say that Arsenal have made an audaious bid for Liverpool's Pepe Reina. They're said to have offered £23m.

The Times says that City will pay an intial £15m fee for James Milner which could rise nearer to £20m.

While other papers (including The Mail) say that Stoke want Loic Remy for £10m, The Mirror say that they'll make a £12m bid for Carlton Cole.

They also say that Blackburn want Nigel Reo-Coker from Villa.

In The Mail, Fabregas admits that he's only staying at Arsenal because Wenger forced him to.

IMscouting says that Torres was waiting for an offer from Barcelona before commiting his future to Liverpool. Tell us something we don't know. That's almost as obvious as the above story.

For those who care about the game that'll get in the way of the Premier League, here's the England squad.

England squad to face Hungary:

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn)

Defenders: Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

Lastly, here's a link to a blog regarding the takeover at Liverpool

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond...pin_at_li.html

*Edit* We'll have to watch the Football League show tonight to see if he was at fault for any of them.

Arteta seems to be one of the dying breed of player showing loyalty to the club where he made his name. There's the bones of an excellent squad at Everton - All that's really separating them from the likes of Villa and Spurs is a dose of luck with injuries.

That England squad's a funny one. It's fine that Capello only keeps 10 of the players who flopped in SA but the 10 he keeps are basically first team regulars and they were the ones who mucked it all up in the first place.

Wilshire's apparently an outrageous talent but selecting him right now smacks a bit of desperation. He might well have a stormer and have Arsenal fans asking 'Cesc who?', you never know, but I'd like to see him getting a bit more experience with a top 4 club first.

Other than that, it's good to see Cahill get a call if only to see how comfortable he is at this level and I'm sure Gibbs, Jagielka, Brown and maybe Zamora would have been in the WC squad if not for injury doubts.

Last chance saloon for Ashley Young? Don't care how good he is for his club, he's never been anything other than rank when I've seen him in an England shirt.

EDIT - Don't laugh but Paul Robinson has just retired from International football so England will need a new #3 keeper. He had such promise a decade ago but seems to have spent it eating pies and getting the jitters.

Arteta seems to be one of the dying breed of player showing loyalty to the club where he made his name. There's the bones of an excellent squad at Everton - All that's really separating them from the likes of Villa and Spurs is a dose of luck with injuries.
We're going to come good this season!

(fingers crossed)

By "come good" do you mean finish 7th? Because I think that's possible. However, if you mean finish 4th or better, then I think you're dreaming.

Wes Brown has also retired from International football.

Hernandez for goal of the season? You won't see anyone else with both a goal and an assist in the same movement.

Liverpool's Philipp Degen has joined Stuttgart on loan.

Mesut Ozil is still being linked with United and Fergie's still not denying anything. It does seem as if something may be in the wind. We need a replacement for Scholes (he's not going to play 38 games like he did today) and as no one saw fit to buy Sneijder 5 or 6 six ago, then this guy could be a good buy. Can we really get him with so much interest, though?

Crouch back to Liverpool? That's what Roy Hodgson wants to do, if you believe the Mail On Sunday. It does look as if he's on the way out of Spurs, so this may actually have some truth to it.

While the Sunday People say that Shaun Wright-Phillips is surplus to requirements at the Wasteland (no? Really? :roleyes and that Liverpool and Arsenal are interested.

Back to the Mail, who say that Nedum Onuoha has also been told he can leave.

The Sunday Mirror and Hatem Ben Arfa is wanted by Newcastle. Didn't this story appear a month or two back? I seem to remember thinking "how the mighty have fallen." back then.

caughtoffside say that Arsenal are on their way to Italy to get Juventus centre back Giorgio Chiellini and Bologna keeper Emiliano Viviano.

While the News Of The World report that Kevin Prince Boateng may knock back West Ham and Stoke to join Italian side Genoa. He's quoted as saying, "I'm relaxed, just waiting for the right team,"

The Sunday Mirror say that Hicks and Gillett would rather sell Liverpool to Syrian businessman Yahya Kirdi as opposed to Kenny Huang.

The Observer say that Wenger's thinking about extending his contract at Arsenal (which ends this season, I believe) and that, if he does, then he'll almost certainly be there for the rest of his career.

The Daily Mail says that M'ON is keeping an eye on Steven Pineaars contract dealings with Everton and will make a bid if he thinks he'll leave.

caughtoffside say that Untied are looking to pinch James Milner from Villa, before City finish the deal. Of course, that's not going to happen, but I thought I'd post it.

A couple of stories from The Mail. Firstly, they report that Blackburn are trying to get Fenerbahce's £5m-rated Spain striker Dani Guiza. I don't know how he did last season, but the season before he was on fire in La Liga.

Secondly, Spurs may sell Peter Crouch and get Loic Remy, after he issued a come-and-get-me plea to the club.

Lastly, The Daily Mirror say that Arsene Wenger will ask Man City to sell him Shay Given - after being warned off his team-mate Joe Hart.

So Wes Brown and Paul Robinson have both retired? England in turmoil!

Not since the days of Andy 'Andrew' Cole deciding to take his caps (and his one goal) home has the football world been so rocked.

Step forwrad Dean Windass, your time is now.

Man, Patrice Evra's great. He's easily the most quotable modern footballer.

Witness this gem about Lilian Thuram and the new France coaching set-up:

"He sullied my name without knowing what happened. Lilian thinks he's the new coach, president of the FFF and president of France. Walking around with books on slavery in glasses and a hat does not turn you into Malcolm X"

Quality.

Sorry to triple post but MO'N leaving the Villa? Wow.

My first thoughts were family problems because of the way he left Celtic and took a sabbatical to care for his wife who was battling cancer. I remember him being interviewed when he took the Villa job saying that it was a difficult decision to come back to football because she still wasn't well.

Now I'm hearing that it's a big fall-out with the chairman over the proposed Milner sale and the amount of the proceeds he would get to spend on the squad.

If he'd done this a few weeks ago he'd be Liverpool manager now. Wonder if he'll end up at Old Trafford as Fergie's Number 2/wine waiter with the plan of taking over next season?

Sorry to triple post but MO'N leaving the Villa? Wow.

My first thoughts were family problems because of the way he left Celtic and took a sabbatical to care for his wife who was battling cancer. I remember him being interviewed when he took the Villa job saying that it was a difficult decision to come back to football because she still wasn't well.

Now I'm hearing that it's a big fall-out with the chairman over the proposed Milner sale and the amount of the proceeds he would get to spend on the squad.

If he'd done this a few weeks ago he'd be Liverpool manager now. Wonder if he'll end up at Old Trafford as Fergie's Number 2/wine waiter with the plan of taking over next season?
O'Neill always walks alone. He has resigned from all five of his senior clubs. Not someone to be messed around clearly.

There were rumbles on Radio 5 that he had left 'cos Lerner sanctioned the sale of Ashley Young to Spurs. Perhaps that is a little out there, but whatever the case, Villa are much the weaker for it. My Uncle has a ST up there and told me that some were growing impatient at O'Neill's Carew/Heskey-reliant brand of football and lack of a 'Plan B'. Still, given that the manager market is as enticing as the player one, it is difficult to see where they go from here, especially when we're so close to the start of the season.

By "come good" do you mean finish 7th? Because I think that's possible. However, if you mean finish 4th or better, then I think you're dreaming.
oi stop trampling on my dreams!

O'Neill always walks alone. He has resigned from all five of his senior clubs. Not someone to be messed around clearly.

There were rumbles on Radio 5 that he had left 'cos Lerner sanctioned the sale of Ashley Young to Spurs. Perhaps that is a little out there, but whatever the case, Villa are much the weaker for it. My Uncle has a ST up there and told me that some were growing impatient at O'Neill's Carew/Heskey-reliant brand of football and lack of a 'Plan B'. Still, given that the manager market is as enticing as the player one, it is difficult to see where they go from here, especially when we're so close to the start of the season.
I lived in Birmingham for 6 years and have a lot of Villa fans as close friends. Once they got over the initial resentment of the awful timing of the resignation, depression set in. I suppose the one criticism that O'Neill has had is his style of play but I'd love to see him with the chance of some serious spending money or an already talented squad, just to see if he can adapt. He's a fantastic man manager, though.

It's weird that I was bigging up Lerner a few posts ago and now Villa seem to have fallen foul of the classic boardroom/manager friction. I still say he's a better man at the helm than Deadly Doug, though. Ellis and O'Leary left the club teetering on being shocking.

Don't think at this stage of his career that MO'N will fancy bringing on a smaller club like his Leicester days. The big clubs have either changed coaches recently or have immovable objects in place who'll only move on when they're good and ready. Man City might be an option depending on how they start the season, as will Newcastle and possibly Sunderland.

Newcasatle would be interesting.

When my friend told me he'd left this evening (he was online) and the first thing I asked him was "Has Ashley Young been sold?" I was surprised at the timing of his resignation, but not that it happened.

Towards the end of last season there were rumours that it was O'Neil's last and that he wouldn't renew his contract (which is why he was my pick for the Liverpool job. I think I mentioned that in this thread somewhere) and last week (or the week before) he said that he'd resign if he found out that attempts to sell Ashley Young had been made behind his back, which is why it was the first question I asked. Obviously things haven't been going well between the manager and the owner, but I think something definate must've happened for him to leave this late in the close season. Young on his way or not being given funds to replace Milner must be the two favourites.

Sorry, Christine, but dream trampling is what I do. If it helps, Spurs won't finish 4th either. Neither will Aston Villa (and wouldn't have before O'Neil left) and neither, I'm pleased to say, will Man City. The top 4 will be the 'big 4', not last years top 4, the usual top 4. Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Liverpool. In that order.

O'Neil at Newcastle? That could be the perfect combination... Until they get too big for their boots again and sack him.