Name the first legitimately bad film on IMDB's Top 250

Tools    

The title says it all, but just in case: which is the highest film on IMDB's Top 250 that you find to be bad? I don't mean disappointing, overrated, not-your-style, or some kind of missed opportunity, but a genuinely sub-par film.

Obviously the list fluctuates, but for these purposes it should be okay. And, since Inception is precariously high right now, and will certainly fall, it might be better/more interesting to just go straight to the second-highest if that's going to be your answer.

I'm pretty torn as to what mine would be. I know a whole bunch of you will hate this, but my first rough candidate was Apocalypse Now at #38. I liked some of the ideas behind it but found everything else insufferable, but whether or not I'd call it "bad" is debatable.

A bit further down, at #50, I find a better candidate in A Clockwork Orange, and a better one still in Full Metal Jacket, which I think is the first film (at #83) that I'm pretty much positive I would call "bad." And if I were to waiver on that, I definitely wouldn't go past Avatar at #113.

So, now that I've surely enraged all Kubrick fans: what would you choose?

So, now that I've surely enraged all Kubrick fans: what would you choose?
Definitely 12 Angry Men.

- A Kubrick Fan
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Kidding about 12 Angry Men, by the way, don't really feel like negative repping the owner of the site for his Kubrick hating.

I don't really like American Beauty (currently #39), although that's more of a film being overrated in my opinion than being bad. I thought Gran Torino (#93) was pretty weak, so I'm going with that movie. Avatar (#113) was certainly a load of...and comes in second place (or second to last place).

It's hard not to weigh in the factor of disappointment but looking down the list the first movie that is mediocre to me is The Usual Suspects at #24. But I guess I would still call it a decent film so I won't count it.

The first movie that I would classify as "bad" from what I've seen would be Gladiator at #96.

Also where the Shawshank haters at?

I really Dislike Avatar (2009)
Much people said it was really great and i couldn't even sit through it,The ending was horrible to my point of view i'm just saying the concept of this film sounds kind of dull and boring to me. And There Will Be Blood (2007) was soo horrible i dont have any words to describe that horrible Film.

I hesitate to call any of them 'bad' but there are many I have little or no time for (Star Wars is the first one of them at #12 - if we're saving Inception that is ). Skimming through it, for I don't think the list warrants any more attention than that, the first 'bad' film i'd pick out would be Requiem for a Dream (Yeah let's ****ing do drugs), then on to stuff like V For Vile and Pirates of the Caribbean.

1. Inception: Utterly mediocre. It's obscene that it's above The Godfather II.

2. Schindler's List: People felt compelled to like this film even though it's the most implicitly fascist, patronizing, anti-Semitic film ever made. Switch it out for #77 please. La Vita e Bella is probably the most successful holocaust film ever made, but its ending was still a cop-out.

3. Toy Story 3: I didn't even see it but wtf? Let's be honest here. 10th best film of all time? Utterly obscene.

4. The Dark Knight: Another inherently fascist film. It says a lot about our collective ideology. So... Nolan... what your saying is that society rests on the basis of a lie. And it's now somehow heroic to be a scapegoat.

5. Memento: One-trick pony. Fun the first time then excruciatingly boresville the subsequent viewings.

6. Forrest Gump: Ideological failure. Millionaire propaganda.

7. Up: I can't even abbreviate here. WHAT THE ****? Finding Nemo is infinitely the greater film. Up had a great beginning, but the rest was random, senseless crap unsuitable for even a second dignified viewing.

8. Batman Begins: Just a bad film. Just plain bad. Total failure on many levels.

9. The Big Lebowski: This is one of the Coen's weakest efforts, but it's up there in the stead of their masterpiece Barton Fink because of the memes it generated and people like to say "the Dude abides".

10. How to Train Your Dragon: Wow. Just, wow. Look at some of the titles below this. Children of Men. The Kid. The Hustler. A Streetcar Named Desire. Magnolia. Brief Encounter. The 400 Blows. I'll stop now.

This just depressed me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For me, it has got to be Fight Club, I don't see anything that really is great about that film.

Not trying to hate on Kubrick, but if Fight Club doesn't count, then I'd go with Dr. Strangelove.

American Beauty would be a tempting third choice but as a poster above me stated, it's probably more overrated than being a bad film.

Love the thread, by the way.

1. Inception: Utterly mediocre. It's obscene that it's above The Godfather II.
3. Toy Story 3: I didn't even see it but wtf? Let's be honest here. 10th best film of all time? Utterly obscene.
These two have no relation to the thread's criteria.
5. Memento: One-trick pony. Fun the first time then excruciatingly boresville the subsequent viewings.
9. The Big Lebowski: This is one of the Coen's weakest efforts, but it's up there in the stead of their masterpiece Barton Fink because of the memes it generated and people like to say "the Dude abides".
4. The Dark Knight: Another inherently fascist film. It says a lot about our collective ideology. So... Nolan... what your saying is that society rests on the basis of a lie. And it's now somehow heroic to be a scapegoat.
So...does only being good for one viewing make Memento a bad film, or not? And does The Big Lebowski being (allegedly) one of the Coens' "weakest efforts" mean it's bad, or just not up to their usual standard? And do your problems with The Dark Knight's ideology (which you're making a number of presumptions about, by the way) mean it's a bad film?

Comments like the above are why I went out of my way to try to add some stipulations: so the thread didn't devolve into such predictable stuff as randomly commenting on the films in the list, or their order, or anything else like that. I think we can take it as a given that any human being who watches and thinks about films is going to have problems with any list of the best films of all time. Always. But that's not usually a very interesting topic by itself even when elaboration is given for each choice, and definitely not when it isn't.

Also...

2. Schindler's List: People felt compelled to like this film even though it's the most implicitly fascist, patronizing, anti-Semitic film ever made. Switch it out for #77 please. La Vita e Bella is probably the most successful holocaust film ever made, but its ending was still a cop-out.
6. Forrest Gump: Ideological failure. Millionaire propaganda.
You said similar things about both of these films in another thread, and I responded to both in a fairly measured way explaining why I thought each critique was invalid, inconsistent, or just generally baffling. And, in an instance or two, fair but harsh. If you want to discuss them, by all means, reply to those posts. I'd be curious as to what you'd say in each instance.

8. Batman Begins: Just a bad film. Just plain bad. Total failure on many levels.
Hey, alright! We have a winner. I mean, I think this is horrendously wrong, and you really ought to elaborate on any potentially controversial and undeniably broad as "Total failure on many levels," but this does, technically, qualify as an answer to the question being posed.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If a movie is highly acclaimed, I just don't see how you can call it a failure. You can call it underwhelming, mediocre, overrated, or boring. But I don't think using the term failure can apply for any films on the IMDB top 250, much less Forrest Gump and Schindler's List.

#31: Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers: In my opinion the worst of the three LOTR films. It was visually stunning and all, but to have it up at #31 is a bit high for me.

American History X. There are some others but none that I have a ready-made diatribe for and I'm feeling too lazy to argue the case against another movie right now, and it kind of depresses me.

Trying to follow your criteria as closely as possible, I'd say there aren't any downright 'bad' films in the Top 100. Which isn't to say there aren't at least twenty overrated films. And these are films I still like, I own many of them. But I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of the users who pushed Fight Club into the Top 20 were 14-year-old boys who've seen less that 100 movies in their lives and immediately gave it a perfect rating.

The closest thing to a bad movie in the Top 100, in my opinion, is Full Metal Jacket, which I think is uneven, uninteresting, and poorly directed. I think it's one of the worst war movies I've ever seen. But even that's really good--Kubrick made it, so of course it had some level of quality.

The first BAD film, as in a film that should not be on the Top 250 under any circumstances, is Snatch. at No. 132. This movie isn't simply overrated, it's bad. I think Guy Ritchie is one of the worst major directors and writers working today. It has a completely unoriginal story, it's directing is pretty much robbed from Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese, and it tries pitifully hard to be cool, and fails. I don't normally rip on movies unless it's generally accepted that they suck, but this is one I know many people consider a favorite. I just don't understand it. If you like it, could you explain why?