Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I'm one of those soft hearted Evertonians who don't hate Liverpool. I've never thought Hicks and Gillett were going to be good for the team, they never even seemed to like football or know anything about it, so bring on the day LFC get rid of them.

You know what they say about the Merseyside Derby - the 'Family Derby'

Do my fellow football fans reckon it'd be a good idea to start a seperate thread when the Premier League starts up in a week or so? This was originally destined to be an American egg chasing thread wasn't it?

The People's Republic of Clogher
I read that Alexander Hleb is "intrigued" by a move to Tottenham. Im sure he'll receive a heros welcome when he returns to the Emirates.
Now he's one of the biggest fanny-merchants I've ever seen. Spends loads of time on the ball and does bugger all with it.

That Wenger made a profit on him was an excellent bit of business because he was hardly cheap to begin with.

Fenwick (Terry Fenwick? ) - I think this thread was originally about proper football. It just gets hijacked every page.

We could always start a fresh thread. It'd stop the yanks coming in here and mentioning they thought it was the 'other' football.

As for Liverpool. I just hope that this bloke's better than the current two. He does seem to be rushing things and, as always, there doesn't seem to be an attention to due dilligence. I will always remember those Scouser's boasting that they had "proper" Americans in charge of their club, unlike United.

Anyway, The Mirror seem to have a stupid story about Gai Assulin going to Man City. Not in itself a stupid story (or even a new one as it was in the Sunday papers) but then they claim that he's 'rated' at £34m but that City will get him on a free after he cancelled his contract with Barcelona. Um... No, quite. Better check those facts again, guys. He left because he couldn't get a game. How many £34m rated players do you know can't get a game? Much more likely that, as a promising teenager, that was the amount of the buy out clause. That sounds much more like it, doesn't it?

The Daily Mail carries a story about Birmingham making a cheeky loan offer for Juve left back Fabio Grosso.

Back to The Mirror, where they say that Spurs are interested in Portuguese striker Yannick Djalo. They also report that Newcastle are interested in signing him.

The Mirror also say that James Milner hopes his longwinded transfer to Man City will finally be finalised by this weekend, with Stephen Ireland going the other way.

More from The Mirror and Leeds want young Spurs defender, Steven Caulker, on loan for the season.

The BBC website is saying that Brazil midfielder Ramires will have a medical at Chelsea today (Wednesday) and if everything goes according to plan, he'll sign a 4 year deal by the end of the week. Although £17m is the price, Benfica will have to give £6m to sports entrepreneur Kia Joorabchian, who part-financed the player's transfer from Cruzeiro to the Portuguese club.

The BBC also say that, at least, one Premier League official have spoken to one of the parties interested in taking over Liverpool. No info as to whether it was anyone from the Kenny Huang bid, as there are said to be "several" parties interested in Liverpool.

Finally, now that everyone seems to agree that the Fabregas to Barca deal is dead for this summer, the Daily Mail prolongs the story by telling us that 'sources' at Barcelona say Cesc Fabregas' family are upset the midfielder hasnt' moved to the club.

That sound you can hear is the bottom of the barrel being scrapped. Thank God we've only got 10 days till proper football starts.

Finally, now that everyone seems to agree that the Fabregas to Barca deal is dead for this summer, the Daily Mail prolongs the story by telling us that 'sources' at Barcelona say Cesc Fabregas' family are upset the midfielder hasnt' moved to the club.

That sound you can hear is the bottom of the barrel being scrapped. Thank God we've only got 10 days till proper football starts.
The sun has also reported that 'every' Barcelona player feels Cesc 'should' join them.

I say Jesus Christ himself can want Cesc at Barca, if they dont come up with our asking price for a player who has 5 years left on his contract he a'int going.

Yep, I saw a story a couple of stories about Messi saying that Fabregas will go this summer, but it was such nonsense that I didn't bother posting it here. And, considering the stuff I do put up, that's saying something.

I said it'd take £60m to get Fabregas this summer. Now, I don't know if that's true or not, but I do now know that that's more than Barcelona have to spend, so I can't say I'm surprised he hasn't gone this summer. Next summer, however...

Now he's one of the biggest fanny-merchants I've ever seen. Spends loads of time on the ball and does bugger all with it.

That Wenger made a profit on him was an excellent bit of business because he was hardly cheap to begin with.

Fenwick (Terry Fenwick? ) - I think this thread was originally about proper football. It just gets hijacked every page.
Haha Tac, it's not the first time someone has mistaken my tag for Terry Fenwick (who according to my old man was quite a shocking player for both England and Spurs). It's just a nickname from my youth.

Can't say i'd be too excited about Hleb, not that I think the story has legs anyway. As you say, not enough end product to match his considerable talents. And he's a Goon to boot, so would run rule over my 'No Goons' policy (although i'm sure wheeler-dealer 'Arry would lap him up on a freebie if opportunity knocked).

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've just learned something...

Originally Posted by Tim Sherwood
I'm learning from a manager who, in my opinion, is the best manager to learn from," he said. "I enjoy learning from him, every day is a learning curve for me.
source

---

Starting a new thread might be good idea. Shall we call it Soccerball to avoid confusion?

Triffic.

The big lad Hleb's a triffic player, y'see, especially on Football Manager 2005. I'd obviously love to have a player of his quality at the club but he's contracted to Barcelona so he's theirs until they say different.

The little lad Joey Cole was rubbish anyway - he runs like a teddy bear. I'm not going down that road...

I hate Tim Sherwood. What an utter melt he was and probably still is. I can't believe he captained us. He didn't show up for four years, a dissapearing act worthy of Jermaine Jenas' current stint, yet has now landed a cushty role alongside Arry's long-time minions Bond and Jordan (who am I to complain though - at least until 3pm on August 14th).

Tac, don't you think Joe Cole looks a little like that bird who used to be in Eastenders (I promise I never watched this), Michelle Ryan.

Uncanny I swear.

Noooooooooo!

How am I supposed to letch over her now?

Luckily Joe looks more like he's shaved his monobrow in two. I will use this to distinguish them

(EDIT ~ Heh, same reaction Tatty )

---

On Sherwood, yas, oh yas. He was a Jenas. A Freund retrofitted with a skull-headed gearstick, but lumbered with an older engine and rust. He was not our finest hour.

But hey, he can use words can't he. Not all of them, by any means, but he is capable of speech. He must have his uses. (Jordan can only growl )

Noooooooooo!

How am I supposed to letch over her now?

Luckily Joe looks more like he's shaved his monobrow in two. I will use this to distinguish them

(EDIT ~ Heh, same reaction Tatty )

---

On Sherwood, yas, oh yas. He was a Jenas. A Freund retrofitted with a skull-headed gearstick, but lumbered with an older engine and rust. He was not our finest hour.

But hey, he can use words can't he. Not all of them, by any means, but he is capable of speech. He must have his uses. (Jordan can only growl )
Don't get me started on Freund

Sunderland have approached Man City about taking Joe Hart on loan for the season.

Ivan Klasnic, who was on loan to Bolton last season, has signed a two-year deal with them, after his contract with Nantes wasn't renewed. Nantes released him, which meant there was no fee involved.

Midfielder Steven Nzonzi has signed a new five-year deal at Blackburn.

OK, now onto the rumours.

Yahya Kirdi, who represents a group of investors from the Middle East and Canada, says his group is in advanced negotiations with Liverpool owners Thomas Hicks and George Gillett to purchase 100% of the club.

The Daily Mirror report that Lassana Diarra could be on the move from Real to United. Should this happen, they say that Tom Cleverly could go on loan to Bolton.

caughtoffside recken that United could offer Anderson and around £12m in an attempt to beat everyone to the punch and sign Mesut Ozil from Werder Bremen. I don't see this happening, but I'd be very happy to.

The Sun say that Liverpool are talking to Christian Poulsen of Juve. But IMscouting says that Poulsen's agent denies this. If they are talking to him, expect the Mascherano to Inter deal to happen pretty quickly.

The Sun also say that Fabregas is going to be talking to Arsene Wenger tomorrow (Thursday) about his future.

It never goes away, does it? Messi says that he's confident that Fabregas will be at the Nou Camp before the closing of the transfer window. That's in the Daily Express.

IMscouting also tells us that, according to Weder Bremen's GM Klaus Allofs, Per Mertesacker isn't leaving the club.

Also in The Sun, Chelsea youngster Scott Sinclair is set to reject interest from Ipswich and Swansea to join Blackpool.

The Sun again, who tell us that Birmingham want to take United striker Mame Biram Diouf on loan.

The Times says that West Ham have been offered Cagliari keeper Federico Marchetti and will make a bid if Robert Green leaves the club for Fulham... Of course, that depends on Mark Schwatzer leaving for Arsenal. It's like a goalkeeper chain stretching across Europe.

But it's a busted one, according to the Mirror, who tell us that new manager Mark Hughes has told Schwatzer that he's staying at Fulham.

The Guardian brings us news that Indian tycoon Ahasan Ali Syed is interested in buying Blackburn Rovers and is prepared to invest £300m into the club.

Lastly, The Mail says that Spurs will let Moroccan international midfielder Adel Taarabt leave for QPR in a deal that could be worth up to £1m.

This is quite interesting too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/8886558.stm

Spurs 'itk' talk is that we'll get more than 1mil for Taartaboutwithit. Not bad for a midfielder who only passes as a last resort

Spurs 'itk' talk is that we'll get more than 1mil for Taartaboutwithit. Not bad for a midfielder who only passes as a last resort
Haha G, a million per completed passes in a Spurs shirt. I was so excited about the lad when he came on against East Canning Town Bingo and Social Club during that magnificent 4-3 win back in 2007 (?). Tatty's terrific ADHD remark seems applicable to Taarabt (or Tarabat as everyone still loves to call him ) too. Adel has a worryingly Andy Reid like figure for someone with more tricks than brain cells, but nevertheless he danced passed a couple of powder puff challenges to earn Berba a chance of netting the equaliser.

'Triffic he was, much like the day. I still have the paint of the Boleyn's seats on my shins now, marks that bear fond memory of the pandemonium in the away end when Canadian hunchback Paul Stalteri popped up with the winner. It would have been better if Spam went down too, but we sure made them feel like they were 'til they pinched something at Ewood Park the week after, so for that I am grateful.

I've read that ITK stuff a few times G. It used to be a pretty free-wheeling rumour mill; not quite the case any more. Since Paul Barber's gone, we seem to have plugged the leaks. Suprising when you think 'Arry is on Talksport every minute of every livelong day.

It'll be a test of the average Liverpool fan's moral compass (don't laugh) now that Kenny Huang's financial backers for his bid appear to be the Chinese government. Still, the 'You'll Never Wok Alone' headlines have been gold.

Red army! Red army! Red army!

I wonder if the players will now march out of the Anfield tunnel?

when Canadian hunchback Paul Stalteri popped up with the winner.
One of the most surreal Spurs sights ever that. Mind you, he had only been on the pitch about five minutes, he still had some energy

Originally Posted by Fen
I've read that ITK stuff a few times G. It used to be a pretty free-wheeling rumour mill; not quite the case any more. Since Paul Barber's gone, we seem to have plugged the leaks. Suprising when you think 'Arry is on Talksport every minute of every livelong day.
Yeah, it is pretty arid out there on the info front now. Still fun to read tho (The latest update being: actually yes we did only get 1mil for Taramasalata-feet. Hey ho )