🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

People always say Captain Kirk was some kind of womanizer and had sex every week with a different alien babe, which is totally untrue.

Trivia question: How many times did the series actual 'show' Kirk having sex? Of course they can't directly show it, but they do imply that he had sex during the course of the show.

I'm talking about during the actual show and not what might have happened before or after or between missions. No cheating by googling it either, but looking at a list of ST episodes is fair enough

As GBG already know this answer she's banned from answering I have another question just for her: How many of Kirk's encounters with female guest stars ended with the character being killed off?

People always say Captain Kirk was some kind of womanizer and had sex every week with a different alien babe, which is totally untrue.

Trivia question: How many times did the series actual 'show' Kirk having sex? Of course they can't directly show it, but they do imply that he had sex during the course of the show.

I'm talking about during the actual show and not what might have happened before or after or between missions. No cheating by googling it either, but looking at a list of ST episodes is fair enough

As GBG already know this answer she's banned from answering I have another question just for her: How many of Kirk's encounters with female guest stars ended with the character being killed off?
I have no idea.
I know there were several times where things seemed to be getting "romantic" but then Kirk is interrupted by a sudden call on the intercom!

Just curious: did they infer that he might have slept with Elaan of Troyius (in the episode of the same name?)

When I was a kid, I didn't like that episode, but watched it again recently and discovered how great it was - it had a bit of everything: great characters, hot babes, interstellar politics, a Klingon battle, espionage on the Enterprise, Kirk having to overcome the toxic love tears of Elaan to try to maintain command (we always love when Kirk has to overcome some personal crisis to maintain command whether it's being effected by a disease that makes emotions go wild, or growing prematurely old, or being split in the transporter!) and on top of all that... Jay Robinson!

I have no idea.
I know there were several times where things seemed to be getting "romantic" but then Kirk is interrupted by a sudden call on the intercom!

Just curious: did they infer that he might have slept with Elaan of Troyius (in the episode of the same name?)
Elaan of Troyius is one of the episodes where the show implies Kirk had sex and there's not many.

I recently watched that episode and paid close attention to the scene where Kirk and Elaan are together in her quarters. It goes like this: She's infected him with her tears which renders a man unable to resist her. He's really romantically smitten with her and in the scenes before that, he couldn't stand her. Then...there's an emergency on the bridge (I think it's the Klingon's threatening the Enterprise) and Uhura calls on the ship's intercom for Captain Kirk...but he doesn't answer the call. We see just how unusual that is for him to ignore the call by Uhura's reaction. She call's him again and then, the scene cuts to Elaan's cabin and we see both of them are in bed. Finally Kirk sits up and answers the com call. Clearly they were involved That's followed by some dialogue by Elaan where she professes her undying love for Kirk. So yeah that seems clear to me, that the show is trying to imply they were both intimate.

When I was a kid, I didn't like that episode, but watched it again recently and discovered how great it was - it had a bit of everything: great characters, hot babes, interstellar politics, a Klingon battle, espionage on the Enterprise, Kirk having to overcome the toxic love tears of Elaan to try to maintain command (we always love when Kirk has to overcome some personal crisis to maintain command whether it's being effected by a disease that makes emotions go wild, or growing prematurely old, or being split in the transporter!) and on top of all that... Jay Robinson!
That's one of my favorite episodes too and largely because of the Vietmanse heritage actress France Nuyen. She was amazing in this! both in her supreme arrogance in the first act which is deliciously fun, and then in her loyalty to Kirk in the third act and her wiliness to die by the side of her love. I always found that deep, she's a complex charater. I liked the way she looked like an Egyptian princess too.

BTW, who's Jay Robinson? I have no idea.

If I may digress back to The Changeling for a moment, I'd like to post another clip from a fave episode and moment. As we reminisce about TOS, it strikes me that what made the show so endearing was the interplay between the three main characters- and the humor that was merrily threaded through eps like this. This epitaph for NOMAD could have been written by Neil Simon

If I may digress back to The Changeling for a moment, I'd like to post another clip from a fave episode and moment. As we reminisce about TOS, it strikes me that what made the show so endearing was the interplay between the three main characters- and the humor that was merrily threaded through eps like this. This epitaph for NOMAD could have been written by Neil Simon
Ha, I loved that light heartened dialogue quips at the end. I had forgot about that, thanks for posting it, it was fun to watch

BTW a ST trivia question just for you Lenslady in that clip that you posted what was the name of the charater sitting in Lt. Uhura's place at communications?

Elaan of Troyius is one of the episodes where the show implies Kirk had sex and there's not many.

I recently watched that episode and paid close attention to the scene where Kirk and Elaan are together in her quarters. It goes like this: She's infected him with her tears which renders a man unable to resist her. He's really romantically smitten with her and in the scenes before that, he couldn't stand her. Then...there's an emergency on the bridge (I think it's the Klingon's threatening the Enterprise) and Uhura calls on the ship's intercom for Captain Kirk...but he doesn't answer the call. We see just how unusual that is for him to ignore the call by Uhura's reaction. She call's him again and then, the scene cuts to Elaan's cabin and we see both of them are in bed. Finally Kirk sits up and answers the com call. Clearly they were involved That's followed by some dialogue by Elaan where she professes her undying love for Kirk. So yeah that seems clear to me, that the show is trying to imply they were both intimate.

That's one of my favorite episodes too and largely because of the Vietmanse heritage actress France Nuyen. She was amazing in this! both in her supreme arrogance in the first act which is deliciously fun, and then in her loyalty to Kirk in the third act and her wiliness to die by the side of her love. I always found that deep, she's a complex charater. I liked the way she looked like an Egyptian princess too.

BTW, who's Jay Robinson? I have no idea.

What's funny is, before the age of the Internet, I could never tell what ethnicity France Nuyen was (at times I thought she was black, Latino, Asian, even Egyptian due to the hair style!)
I didn't recognize her as Elaan when she showed up in The Joy Luck Club (which is a great movie, btw.)

In IMDB's trivia it says this episode was based on Homer's "Iliad" (Helen of Troy, represented as Elaan of Troyius) and William Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" - the aspects of which are pretty obvious!

Jay Robinson plays Petri, the green-skinned Troyan ambassador who is there to instruct Elaan on his planet's etiquette and who gets quite flustered in the process.
Robinson's break out roles were in The Robe (1953) and its sequel Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) where he played Caligula with memorable scenery-chewing performances.
In 1997 he hosted a TV show called Beyond Bizarre - his voice had deepened somewhat in later years to take on a gravely tone, and for some reason he was portrayed as a spooky or scary host - not sure why as he was not type cast in horror movies (he had a small role in 1992's Bram Stoker's Dracula).
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0732717/?ref_=tt_cl_t5#self

What's funny is, before the age of the Internet, I could never tell what ethnicity France Nuyen was (at times I thought she was black, Latino, Asian, even Egyptian due to the hair style!)
I didn't recognize her as Elaan when she showed up in The Joy Luck Club (which is a great movie, btw.)
I don't know if as a kid I thought about her ethnicity, I probably thought she was Egyptian. The first time I seen her other than ST was in Battle for the Planet of the Apes (the original movie) Later I seen her in the movie South Pacific (1958) A 4 minute clip of her from that movie. Totally different than her role in ST.

I don't know if as a kid I thought about her ethnicity, I probably thought she was Egyptian. The first time I seen her other than ST was in Battle for the Planet of the Apes (the original movie) Later I seen her in the movie South Pacific (1958) A 4 minute clip of her from that movie. Totally different than her role in ST.
She was stunningly gorgeous!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Yes, I know the answer to your first question, but I'll keep it to myself since I'm banned from answering it.

As for the second question, let's see how many I can think of off the top of my head. I'll include any of Kirk's women who died, not just the one's that he slept with, (or may have slept with), in the episodes:

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the fate of Captain Kirk's Women!!!!" spoilers below
Edith Keeler from "City on the Edge of Forever" is probably the most obvious one.

Miramanee from "The Paradise Syndrome" is another one, so that's two.

Rayna from "Requiem For Methuselah" also died, so she's number 3.

Does Andrea from "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" count even though technically she's an android, not a real woman? (I guess if Rayna counts, then Andrea should also count, right?)

There are a few others who might not count because he didn't really have "relationships" with them, but I'll mention them here just in case.

Sylvia from "Catspaw" died at the end, but I don't think Kirk ever really cared much for her anyway.

Marta the green Orion girl from "Whom Gods Destroy" died, but she was really Captain Garth's woman, not Kirk's woman.

The most heartbreaking were Edith Keeler and Rayna, but
if all of those women count, then I think there were 6 of Kirk's women who died.

This question is for anyone, (or everyone), who wants to answer it.

We've mentioned some of our favorite episodes. What are some of your least favorite episodes. (I intentionally didn't call them the "best" and "worst" episodes because we all have different opinions, so I wouldn't want to call anyone's favorite episode a "worst" episode.)

These are my 5 least favorite episodes:
"Miri"
"The Deadly Years"
"Spock's Brain"
"And the Children Shall Lead"
"Plato's Stepchildren"

... I'll include any of Kirk's women who died, not just the one's that he slept with, (or may have slept with), in the episodes
Yeah, that's what I meant, any woman guest star who had some kind of connection to Kirk, but died by the end of the episode. I don't actually know the answer without going through the episodes. But you named a lot of them.

My five least favorite episodes, in no particular order:
The Alternative Factor (for reasons others have stated)
A Taste of Armageddon (I just can't buy people willingly committing suicide for their government.)
Arena (It wasn't originally a Star Trek story and doesn't feel like one. The Gorn commander is a one-dimensional bug-eyed monster. And I prefer episodes in which multiple characters play a key role.)
Spectre of the Gun (I knew ealy on nothing was really happening so I didn't care how it played out.)
Spock's Brain (I guess it's pretty notorious so I probably need not explain.)

Mesmerized, do you have any photos of my favorite Star Trek babes: Mariette Hartley, Yvonne Craig and Elinor Donahue?

These are my 5 least favorite episodes:
"Miri"
"The Deadly Years"
"Spock's Brain"
"And the Children Shall Lead"
"Plato's Stepchildren"
I only have one episode that I don't care for and that's And the Children Shall Lead. It feels like a rehash of the earlier Charlie X which was a much better episode.

Yeah, that's what I meant, any woman guest star who had some kind of connection to Kirk, but died by the end of the episode. I don't actually know the answer without going through the episodes. But you named a lot of them.

If you go through the episodes, let me know if you think of any that I missed.

My five least favorite episodes, in no particular order:
The Alternative Factor (for reasons others have stated)
A Taste of Armageddon (I just can't buy people willingly committing suicide for their government.)
Arena (It wasn't originally a Star Trek story and doesn't feel like one. The Gorn commander is a one-dimensional bug-eyed monster. And I prefer episodes in which multiple characters play a key role.)
Spectre of the Gun (I knew early on nothing was really happening so I didn't care how it played out.)
Spock's Brain (I guess it's pretty notorious so I probably need not explain.)

Mesmerized, do you have any photos of my favorite Star Trek babes: Mariette Hartley, Yvonne Craig and Elinor Donahue?

I wasn't a fan of "Arena" when I first watched it, but it seems to grow on me more and more every time I see it, and now it's one of the episodes that I like a lot.

Here's a bit of trivia for "Spectre of the Gun": DeForest Kelley has played different characters in several versions of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. In this episode, he was cast in the role of Tom McLowery. In the movie Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) he played Morgan Earp, and in the old TV show "You Are There" he played Ike Clanton in the episode about the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

I only have one episode that I don't care for and that's And the Children Shall Lead. It feels like a rehash of the earlier Charlie X which was a much better episode.

I like Charlie X because Charlie is likable even though he does some bad things in the episode, but the kids in And the Children Shall Lead are just annoying.

Did you know that Robert Walker Jr., (Charlie from "Charlie X") is the son of Robert Walker from Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train? (He looks so much like his father that you had to know that already, right?)