Most underrated comedy sequels

Tools    

The truth is in here
It can often be hard to recapture the magic of the laughs you got the first time, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't have a good time again anyway.

From the way European Vacation was talked about it sounded like a draining disappointment, but I thought it was really, really funny. It's the best one next to the original Vacation (Not to say it is that close though, the first is literally perfect). They really go all-out with the satire of different cultures, and manage to shake things up enough that it doesn't feel like nothing more than a rehash. I even liked the casting choice of Dana Hill, I find her performance as Audrey very memorable. Jason Lively as Rusty was also very good. After this the casting of the kids gets a bit more questionable (the decision to cast someone as Rusty in Christmas Vacation who looks far younger than the previous two still baffles me).

Back To The Future II gets some flack for its incredibly complicated plot, that it makes the movie feel more mechanic and less fun than the first one. But I couldn't disagree more. For me the increasingly advanced problems that erupt makes it more fun, and the jokes about the future are hilarious and iconic. Not only do I consider this the best possible way you could do a follow-up, it's my favorite of the trilogy.

The truth is in here
I haven't seen Grumpier Old Men, but loved the first one. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon's chemistry with each other is amazing. Burgess Meredith is equally hilarious as the dad.

If you haven't seen The Odd Couple yet, I highly recommend it. One of the funniest comedies ever made.

From the way European Vacation was talked about it sounded like a draining disappointment, but I thought it was really, really funny. It's the best one next to the original Vacation (Not to say it is that close though, the first is literally perfect). They really go all-out with the satire of different cultures, and manage to shake things up enough that it doesn't feel like nothing more than a rehash. I even liked the casting choice of Dana Hill, I find her performance as Audrey very memorable. Jason Lively as Rusty was also very good. After this the casting of the kids gets a bit more questionable (the decision to cast someone as Rusty in Christmas Vacation who looks far younger than the previous two still baffles me).
I always wondered what the sequels would have been if they were able to keep the original cast (the two kids)? Would the movies have been better accepted due to continuity supplied by the same actors? Funnier? Bigger hits? Or about the same?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I have a fondness for Vegas Vacation!
(I did like the part where Chevy Chase subtly breaks the fourth wall by saying he hardly recognizes the kids anymore - then shows the kids staring - it was a wink to the fact that they've been different in every movie.)

The truth is in here
Vegas Vacation is the weakest of the four, but I like that one too.

Yes, I said four. I don't really count that awful-looking direct-to-video Christmas Vacation 2, or the reboot Vacation (2015) which looks pretty boring as well...

Vegas Vacation is the weakest of the four, but I like that one too.

Yes, I said four. I don't really count that awful-looking direct-to-video Christmas Vacation 2, or the reboot Vacation (2015) which looks pretty boring as well...
I've never seen those two (but I have the original 4 in a boxed set!)

It can often be hard to recapture the magic of the laughs you got the first time, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't have a good time again anyway.

Back To The Future II gets some flack for its incredibly complicated plot, that it makes the movie feel more mechanic and less fun than the first one. But I couldn't disagree more. For me the increasingly advanced problems that erupt makes it more fun, and the jokes about the future are hilarious and iconic. Not only do I consider this the best possible way you could do a follow-up, it's my favorite of the trilogy.
I also enjoy European Vacation. And yes, I agree that the second Audrey was part of that. She had the right combination of wit and "bitchiness", for lack of a better word.

I also think Ted 2, Anchorman 2, Airplane 2, and The Naked Gun sequels also work as comedy sequels. I can't say the same for many other comedy sequels, unfortunately.

The truth is in here
Anchorman 2 and Airplane II in particular are inferior to the originals, but still decent and fun enough for what they are. However, the amount of jokes Airplane II reused did get on my nerves at times.

I know that I will be in the vast minority here, but I enjoyed "More American Graffiti"
more than the original. Just enjoyed how all the stories panned out, especially Milner and The Toad.

The truth is in here
I thought it was far inferior to the first one. It lacked the funspirited quality the original had, and instead had a really drab, depressing tone. It's okay all things considered, and I did really like Toad and Milner's sidestories. I disliked Debbie's plot though, and I thought her new boyfriend was boring and unlikable. I also didn't like how much Steve and Laurie argued with each other.