One movie that changed you

Tools    

Of course, most people don't really have one. I mean, they come out of the movie, say "Holy f*ck," then think about it a lot, but in the end of day - they're the same person.

Still, it does happen that a person sees a movie, which hits him so hard, that he actually does behave completely differently afterwards.

If this has ever happend to you, post about it here. What movie, and in what manner did it change you?

I would say Fight Club, but something else meaningful happend to me around the same time that I first saw it. Therefore, I can't say what really changed me. Fight Club, or that other thing. Still, I'd say Fight Club is the kind of a movie to really move a person, don't you think?

No, I wouldn't. I think Fight Club is emotionally void. Brilliantly acted, masterfully directed, visually astounding and as shallow as all Hell. There are so many novels and films that are infinitely better at getting the message of Fight Club out in a coherent and actually meaningful manner.

Moving right along. I would say that the film that changed me the most was Jurassic Park. The first movie I became obsessive about was Jurassis Park. To me it had everything. It was frightening and funny and a thriller and a romance and all this stuff. And it had dinosaurs in it, too. I guess that would have come out here in late 1993. There are only two theatrical experiences that I can recall every moment of, the second of which is Moulin Rouge. I can remember every single moment.

I remember when I jumped and when I laughed and what it was like when I left, and where I sat, and the length of the line to get in, I can remember everything about the first time I saw Jurassic Park. I can give you a running commentary of the experience. That I read both the novel based on the film and the novel upon which the novel was based, purchased the Jurassic Park companion booklet, bought the toys, started a club which dedicated free time at school to drawing pictures of dinosaurs, and made up a song about the raptors in the kitchen, all that goes without saying.

I still wanted to be an actor until I was in grade seven, but it was Jurassic Park, way back in grade two, that got me hooked on movies. The thing that got me hooked to filmmaking wasn't so much a movie, but an experience. Myself and five friends won a trip to Paris to take part in the International Children's Summit at Disneyland, and a director/producer from the Disney Channel followed us around and made a doco about it. And he would give us the camera and tell us to go off and shoot a whole heap of stuff. And shoot stuff we did. And I've been hooked on that feeling ever since.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Yeah, I would also have to name Jurassic Park for the 'change your life' kind of film. The soundtrack was fantastic, I remember sitting in the cinema watching the helicopter land on the island with that amazing piece of music which centered the beautiful climax of the breathtaking scenery. Plus as they first see a dinosaur and alan grant (sam neil) is gasping for breath, that took my breath away. wow. I love that film. It has everything and I'll never stop watching it.

Blade Runner, my all time favourite. I find something different evertime I watch this movie whether it be a further clue in Deckard being a replicant or just relishing in my human spirit being reborn by the self annihilation created by our defects. "What am I ?" I always ask after seeing this movie, and everytime I have a different answer.

Another notable film;

Vanilla Sky

BANNED
I definatly agree that Jurassic Park set new standards for movie making. I saw Fight Club and if you look at the last few seconds of the movie you hear a very touching song and it fits in so perfectly with whats going on all around them. I think in some ways Fight Club does kinda get you to think outside what you usually think of. In other words keep all possibilities open.

i can understand SB (seeing as you were in the second grade) that Jurassic Park may have had a big effect on you, but for those of us who were adults when that movie came out, it was pretty comical...yeah, good effects, but a joke nonetheless

BUT like i said i understand...the very first movie EVER that i saw at the cinema was Star Wars (yes kids, in 1977) and although it wasn't the movie itself that changed me, it was the realisation that movies were able to transport me to other realms of existence, and into other peoples lives, even if it were just for 2 hours

ps....a movie experience i will never forget is a fear and loathing in las vegas get toegther a group of us had were we acted out the entire movie (guts and all if you get my drift, we prepared for weeks in advance)...it didn't change my life, but it was surreal

First time I watched 2001 on mushrooms (and not button or shItake either). Far out man indeed.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh my god Holden yeh, 2001! How could I forget it? That's it my new pet is going to be called Hal.....

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
No, I wouldn't. I think Fight Club is emotionally void. Brilliantly acted, masterfully directed, visually astounding and as shallow as all Hell. There are so many novels and films that are infinitely better at getting the message of Fight Club out in a coherent and actually meaningful manner.
You're thinking about The Matrix. Fight Club is full of meaningfulness. I'm not talking about philosophy in specific, but rather the phenomenological world view that is presented there. If you ever read any other Palahniuk novel, you'll see that Palahniuk is an expert in background research. He's definitely spent a lot of time, designing the world of Fight Club.
Personally, I've been involved in anti-cult activities, and I can tell you that his presentation of cultism is very accurate in the movie. Same applies to other fields that he has studied for the book (and film).

All in all, the fantastic presentation, the worhy concept, and creative design make this a highly affectional movie. Fight Club is so much more than an anti-consumerist commercial.

Get off my island
Donnie Brasco changed the way I dressed

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Don't laugh, but when i started high school back in 1996, my friend and I watched clueless.
I made me want to do good for all man kind.
There are a lot of movies that have some kind of impact on people whether it touches you personally or spiritually.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Originally posted by moviefan20
Don't laugh, but when i started high school back in 1996, my friend and I watched clueless.
I made me want to do good for all man kind.
There are a lot of movies that have some kind of impact on people whether it touches you personally or spiritually.
I won't laugth, instead I'll tell you how much I like the film. I say 'like' but I mean to say 'put up with', I say 'put up with' but what I what I really mean to say is that I'd rather cut off my arm with a rusty bread knife and affix a dirty fat hamster to the socket.

oh dear............

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
I say 'Like' all the time. It seems not a lot of people like the movie until i show it to them. Same goes for Office Space and Dick.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
ha silver bullet... how can you denounce fight club and then go on to praise completey crap like Jurassic Park...

anyway the movie for me is Taxi Driver...

www.moviejustice.com - come visit this site.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Get off my island
Originally posted by iluv2viddyfilms
ha silver bullet... how can you denounce fight club and then go on to praise completey crap like Jurassic Park...

anyway the movie for me is Taxi Driver...

www.moviejustice.com - come visit this site.
He can do it because it's true

Rock God
I think it's funny so many people on this thread mentioned movies that are extremely fantastic...... Star Wars , Jurassic Park , 2001 , The Matrix , etc. etc....

For me, those movies represent everything Hollywood USED to stand for in my mind. That all changed the first time I saw Clerks . Before that, I had this conception that all movies were made by slick Hollywood producers with trillion-dollar suits and their own personal jets. I connected with movies as entertainment, but I never found them to be a vehement form of expression.... a way of telling your story. (Keep in mind I was a kid).

But Clerks just had that feel to it.... it was my life, or the life of one of my friends. It didn't hold back or pull any punches... it didn't wuss out and try to make things slick and polished. And it was FUNNY. How often are comedy movies genuinely hilarious? How often do they surprise you with their honesty and sincerity?

It's the movie that made me decide to write a few scripts of my own. Definitely changed how I look at things.....

The Power Rangers Movie This movie changed my life. And not in a good way.

You're thinking about The Matrix.
Ah, no. I'm thinking of Fight Club.

And to everyone who said, "How can SB attack Fight Club and then say that Jurassic Park was a film that changed him?" I say this. I can say that easily. Unlike Fight Club, Jurassic Park had no misconceptions that it was anything more than pure entertainment. That and I was twelve, people.

Anyway, unlike Fight Club, Jurassic Park didn't think it was a Bible for the modern man, and nor did it wallow in its own importance. If you want contemporary American cinema based on contemporary American fiction that is against a corporate world of consumerism, the film you're after is American Psycho, not Fight Club.

For me, those movies represent everything Hollywood USED to stand for in my mind.
Clerks isn't Hollywood, so I'm suprised your view of the place has changed at all.

Hi
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet

Clerks isn't Hollywood, so I'm suprised your view of the place has changed at all.
I guess he might have meant movies in general

Rock God
Yup..... Tuna's right. I didn't know there were non-Hollywood movies being made. To this day, a large percentage of Americans don't know about non-Hollywood movies.

Clerks opened my eyes and made me realize what a movie COULD be.