Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Lord Of The Rings:The Two Towers

Moving on to Part 2 in The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, and what was already established in the first film will now changed in the second.

Sauron's forces increase. His allies grow. The Ringwraiths return in an even more frightening form. Saruman's army of Uruk Hai is ready to launch an assault against Aragorn and the people of Rohan. Yet, the Fellowship is broken and Boromir is dead. For the little hope that is left, Frodo and Sam march on into Mordor, unprotected. A number of new allies join with Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Pippin and Merry. And they must defend Rohan and attack Isengard. Yet, while all this is going on, Sauron's troops mass toward the City of Gondor, for the War of the Ring is about to begin.

The Character Arc for the remaining characters takes a change. Start off with Frodo & Sam. Frodo's state wains as the hold of the ring psychollogy begins to destroy him. Frodo is beginning to feel something for the ring as the powers of sauron continue to destroy him from inside. Sam continues to protect Frodo, and it adds more now that Gollum enters the fray. Gollum has two personalities. Gollum and Smeagol and both play off each other fantasticly in the film. Smeagol is trying to redeem himself over decades and centuries of suffering, where as Gollum was built over Smeagols love for the ring. Merry & Pipin's personalities change into more mature rules. They are saved from the orcs by Treebeard and realise their place in The War for Middle Earth and thus mature and braven themselves whilst in a way keeping that slight comic relief in them. Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli's 3 way friendship grows as they enter the land of Rohan. Aragorn we begin to unravel a bit more and discover more about why he left the royal life for a life of exile. Gimli takes over as the comic relief character in which he and Legolas take upon a sort of Laurel/Hardy Friendship which brings light relief on the dark storyline. And finally Gandalf. From Grey to White comes a more calm and lighter Gandalf. Not to say Grey was mooder, but with White, it feels more calm and relaxing. We are also introduced to new characters like Theoden, Faramir and many others, but while not much of some characters are fleshed out, one more film would be given time to the characters.

The Story is as its usual greatness. It is now split into 3 sections. Frodo & Sam journeying to Mount Doom, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas & Gandalf dealing with the chaos of Rohan and Merry & Pipin with The Ents. All three develop the overall story and push forward towards number three. The time is spent most on The Rohan plot with The Hobbits getting less time but still equal importance to the overall story. The New Characters bring a fresh to the tale as well as move the story on as we see its not just The Fellowship that are affected by Sauron & Saruman's wrath.

The Battle Scenes or Scene is quite possibly the best i have seen in a film. The Battle Of Helms Deep is an incredible watch from start to finish. The Silence as The Urak Hai Army approach The Wall. The Chants, The Arrows, The Battle itself. Its wonderful yet dark at the same time. As usual, the technical side of the film is fantastic and really cements the film higher than most others.

Overall, While it doesn't beat One, its still a masterpiece and continues to make the trilogy worthwile to watch. See it ! Its a truely masterful film.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Lord Of The Rings:The Return Of The King

The final film of the most acclaimed trilogy in film. This Is The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King.

While Frodo & Sam continue to approach Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring, unaware of the path Gollum is leading them, the former Fellowship aid Rohan & Gondor in a great battle in the Pelennor Fields, Minas Tirith and the Black Gates as Sauron wages his last war against Middle-Earth.

Many argue that ROTK is the best of the trilogy, but i don't think it is. But my god is the film unbelieveable. Firstly, we get the completion of the characters story arc which began in the first film and developed in the second. Frodo & Sam's journey to destroy the one ring damages yet develops their relationship as they reach their final leg in the journey. Gollum's loyalty is to the ring and he sets out to get it whatever means possible, which leads him to split Sam & Frodo's friendship apart as well as try to lead Frodo to his death in a spider cave. Ultimately, his fate fits his character completely. Then there is Merry & Pipin which in this film sees their character's change in the story completely maturing into full scale warriors fearing nothing. Gandalf doesn't change much, but becomes more worrying for Frodo as he knows he is near entering Mordor. Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli complete their development too. Legolas & Gimli are firm friends and Aragorn finally discovers his place as King Of Gondar. Minor characters as well get their development which pays off in the story.

The story culminates and gives us a great climatic feel that rarely films do. You get a feeling that all the pieces of the story are starting to be formed together and that everything is brighter, where as everything is still dark. But you get that feeling that there is light ahead of the tunnel.

Everything works from the opening haunting scene in which Smeagol becomes Gollum (One shot looks like he just woke up) to the climatic battle at The Gate Of Mordor. All of it works because of the technical effort put into the film led by talented director Peter Jackson.

The Return Of The King is a masterpiece of filmmaking and deserved every oscar it got. This and the two other LOTR films will be remembered for many decades to come.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Sideways

Another one Of Doug Walker's recommendations. I saw the trailer a bunch of times, so i bought it on DVD and gave it a watch.

Miles is a failed writer living a meager existence in San Diego as an English teacher. With his career seemingly fading and the fate of a book hinging on a publisher's decision, Miles is depressed with himself and what he hasn't achieved. Jack is a television actor whom some recognize but not many do, as if he were a minor actor who got a taste of success. With his best friend Miles, the two embark on a road trip through California's wine country. Miles wants to give his friend a nice sendoff before married life, while Jack simply wants to have a fling beforehand. As they're both nearing middle age with not much to show for it, the two will explore the vineyards while ultimately searching for their identities.

This film really is an interesting Road Dramedy film. Director Alexander Payne takes us on a weird but interesting road trip in which two middle aged men go on a life learning week trip before Jack's wedding. Miles is depressed and with the casting of Paul Giamatti, i think they got the character spot on. Paul is a great actor of emotion and this is one of his finest performances. Alone, Sad and barely without humour, he wants to be successful and acheive his dreams, but the real world is always pushing him back. Jack is a man with one week of freedom and goes out partying, sleeping with another woman who he leads on who she believes is in a proper relationship. All 4 central characters Jack,Miles,Maya & Stephanie are all wonderful characters with a personality and own problems that they face in life.

The Direction and Writing for this film is great. It has its comedic moments, combined with its drama for the characters. While at times, i did feel there was too much drama, but only a little too much and they didn't over do it. The Score to the film was also very relaxing and was like Lounge Music, but a bit more of a road dramedy like way, its hard to explain.

Overall, good film to see if you like Road Trips with character driven stories. Wonderful acting, score, writing, direction and above all, an interesting find. See it if you can.

Rating - 86% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Cloverfield

This was one of the first 15 rated films i ever got into by myself, and i was sure glad i did. JJ Abrams knows how to keep a film secret. Right now Super 8 is nearing release, and we have no clue what the plot is about. 3 Years Ago, we had the same experience with Cloverfield.

But the plot is this. Cloverfield follows five New Yorkers from the perspective of a hand-held video camera. The movie is exactly the length of a DV Tape and a sub-plot is established by showing bits and pieces of video previously recorded on the tape that is being recorded over. The movie starts as a monster of unknown origin destroys a building. As they go to investigate, parts of the building and the head of the Statue of Liberty come raining down. The movie follows their adventure trying to escape and save a friend, a love interest of the main character.

For a handheld film, i was kind of nervous about the film, but after seeing it and engaging with the story, i really did like it. While characters aren't that well developed, not seeing the monster brings a real mystery of what type of creature they are running from. We are centered more on the characters which is strange in a way, because usually in monster movies, we center around the monster that is how the formula works. But its refreshing and makes a change to what we usually see in monster movies.

However it does have problems. Like i said, characters aren't well developed and sometimes you don't get a real sense of danger, just a lot of noise and action. Handheld Camera effect does bother me at points, but overall does work. On the other hand, when you do finally see the monster, it does look creepy and original.

Overall, fun film with fun plot and not to be taken awards category seriously. Find it, watch it and sit back and relax.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Love Actually

Being the theme of Valentine's day, i feel i should review this film. Dunno why, but it fits the mood perfectly.

The characters are falling in love, falling out of love, some are with right people, some are with the wrong people, some are looking to have an affair, some are in the period of mourning; a capsule summary of reality. Love begins and love ends. They flirt a lot. They are all flirting with love. At all ages and social levels, love is the theme. Romantic love and brotherly love is the hotchpotch through out the movie. Most of the movie is filmed in London, during Christmas and the characters all ended up at Heathrow airport a very uplifting note.

I admit i am a fan of ensemble films. The reason is because we aren't centered on one character, but many of them which get their screen time to tell their story. Its hard to pick a favourite but Liam Neeson's story really is a good one to tell and Thomas Sangster who plays the kid is really great. Everyone hear acts well and while not all the stories have happy endings, it gives you a warm feeling inside knowing that love is all around us.

Overall, Great Script and Ensemble acting, if your in a romantic mood, you need to see Love Actually.

Rating - 73% - B+

Love Actually is my favourite movies to watch with my friends at christmas time I am going to take it with me this Christmas when we all go to Phuket

it is a great little film. Its appropriate for both Valentines Day as well as Christmas, more so Christmas. I'm doing Romeo & Juliet next.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World

I've seen Rat Race and a lot of people i know recommend this was better. Plus this is James Rolfe's (The Angry Video Game Nerd) favourite film. So i bought it and here is my wonderous review.

After a long prison sentence Smiler Grogan is heading at high speed to a California park where he hid $350,000 from a job 15 years previously. He accidentally careens over a cliff in view of four cars whose occupants go down to help. The dying Grogan gives details of where the money is buried and when the witnesses fail to agree on sharing the cash, a crazy chase develops across the state.

All i can say is this. This Film is simply...FUN! Its fun in any way possible. The Acting, Stuntwork, Score and Jokes. Its a film you can relax too and enjoy the comedic element that is the everyday struggles of life. Its campy, but in a way you can laugh with. Its an ensemble film so it is difficult to pick which character you like out of all of them, but if i had to pick, it would be a tie between Dick Shawn's character and Phil Silvers character.

Again, what makes Mad Mad World work is the pacing. In Ensemble Films, its all in the pacing and exposing one character over many could ruin the film. But in this, it works like no other ensemble film. Everyone gets their fair share of time leading to a brilliant payoff at the end.

Overall, its a masteful film to watch and relax too. There aren't any flaws and it all goes together so well. If i had to pick The Greatest Ensemble Film ever made, this would be it.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Romeo & Juliet (1996)

Haven't read nor acted in the play thank god, i was drawn in very well by the romantic noir trailer that was this film. So i rented it from my college and gave it a watch.

If you don't know the plot by now then shame on you, but the basic stance is that Shakespeare's famous play is updated to the hip modern suburb of Verona still retaining its original dialogue. The gun-toting members of the families wage a vicious war on the streets as the star-crossed lovers, their tragic destiny.

Sitting and watching it, i didn't get a 90s feeling when watching this. There was this flashy lighty middle ages feel to it all. It felt like two historical timelines merging into one. But the central performances by Leonardo DiCaprio (I can barely tell the difference now these days between young Leo & Today Leo) and Claire Danes (She hasn't changed much). Either it was this film or a film before that cemented Leo's name is the 90s Robert Pattinson. Claire Danes really shines as Juliet in this film as the infamous story of two star crossed lovers destined to be together.

The film does well to contain its dark elements as well as modernise it with the 90s. Although the dialogue feels off and at times laughable at points, it still works making Shakspeare a dialogue god even in today's world. I also must mention the greatness of Pete Postlewaithe. Shame he has passed on as he is always exciting to watch. God Bless that man up in the stars.

Overall, good film to watch as everything measures up with some interesting directing and effects. If you find it, check it out. Good film.

Rating - 83% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Space Jam

I have always loved Looney Tunes and i have always loved animation, so going into Space Jam, i had quite high hopes for this film.

Swackhammer, owner of the amusement park planet Moron Mountain is desperate get new attractions and he decides that the Looney Tune characters would be perfect. He sends his diminutive underlings to get them to him, whether Bugs Bunny & Co. want to go or not. Well armed for their size, Bugs Bunny is forced to trick them into agreeing to a competition to determine their freedom. Taking advantage of their puny and stubby legged foes, the gang selects basketball for the surest chance of winning. However, the Nerdlucks turn the tables and steal the talents of leading professional basketball stars to become massive basketball bruisers known as the Monstars. In desperation, Bugs Bunny calls on the aid of Micheal Jordan, the Babe Ruth of Basketball, to help them have a chance at winning their freedom.

The Looney Tunes characters are some of the most iconic and well beloved characters in animation especially Bugs Bunny. So this film and adding basketball into it was kind of surprising and people were expecting the worse. However for Michael Jordan he did pretty well. Not oscar worthy, but enough to convince us that this is going to be a good film. The other basketball players were also ok. As for the Looney Tunes, as usual they had me in stiches. I also really liked Lola Bunny. I know its wrong to think sexually over a cartoon character (Even Jessica Rabbit) but Lola had this cute 90s girl appeal to her that made her character enjoyable to watch.

I liked Wayne Knight's performance as well as Danny DeVito's voice performance as the villian. Also i loved Bill Murray's cameo in the film. That guy works in both comedic and dramatic roles. Ghostbusters III anytime soon ?

Overall, short but sweet, Space Jam works well and deserves your time as a family night in film. Its good, but not a masterpiece.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Paul

Simon Pegg & Nick Frost are Britain's modern comedy act in film. They are this generation's Albert & Costello or Insert Double Act Here. Now their next big film Paul has no star power director Edgar Wright nor is it show in The UK. Will the film hold up ?

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) reunite for the comedy adventure Paul as two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage takes them to America's UFO heartland. While there, they accidentally meet an alien who brings them on an insane road trip that alters their universe forever. For the past 60 years, an alien named Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen) has been hanging out at a top-secret military base. For reasons unknown, the space-traveling smart ass decides to escape the compound and hop on the first vehicle out of town-a rented RV containing Earthlings Graeme Willy (Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Frost). Chased by federal agents and the fanatical father of a young woman that they accidentally kidnap, Graeme and Clive hatch a fumbling escape plan to return Paul to his mother ship. And as two nerds struggle to help, one little green man might just take his fellow outcasts from misfits to intergalactic heroes...

Paul remains in the boundries of a Pegg/Frost comedy film. Jokes with references to previous films which make you laugh as much as you did with Shaun Of The Dead & Hot Fuzz, and quite possibly one of the best alien characters ever in film. Paul voiced by Seth Rogan is a great fun character. He is more human than most of the human characters in the film and its ironic because he is a alien. There is one scene which i find very clever and involves a certain kind of star, although its only a cameo and you really don't see him, but you hear them and hear this. Its definately him.

I also want to draw your attention to Joe Lo Truglio & Bill Hader who i can so picture as The American Simon Pegg & Nick Frost. Seriously, the comedy duo in this film totally have chemistry and work in the film. I could seriously see them doing their own spin offs of films with Greg Mottola directing.

Overall, Paul is a fun popcorn movie to kick back and have fun with. Entertaining, Funny and action packed, its a sci fi nerds dream.

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Finding Nemo

I continue to look into The films of Pixar Animation Studios. Those films that continue to touch our hearts and make us dwell into the very corners of our imagination. This time, Pixar takes our imaginations to the ocean. With a story so good, i will be here for hours telling you why. This is Finding Nemo.

A clown fish named Marlin living in the Great Barrier Reef loses his son, Nemo, after he ventures into the open sea, despite his father's constant warnings about many of the ocean's dangers. Nemo is abducted by a boat and netted up and sent to a dentist's office in Sydney. So, while Marlin ventures off to try to retrieve Nemo, Marlin meets a fish named Dory, a blue tang suffering from short-term memory loss. The companions travel a great distance, encountering various dangerous sea creatures such as sharks, anglerfish and jellyfish, in order to rescue Nemo from the dentist's office, which is situated by Sydney Harbor. While the two are doing this, Nemo and the other sea animals in the dentist's fish tank plot a way to return to Sydney Harbor to live their lives free again.

There are so many wonderful things to say about Finding Nemo. One) the story is original. Two) it has fantastic characters from Bruce to Dory, they are all voiced brilliantly by incredibly talented actors including Albert Brooks, Geoffrey Rush, Ellen Degenrates & William DaFoe just to name some. The Animation is absolutely georgous in the film making you feel like you are in the ocean. The Story is incredible. Marlin is an overprotective father who is fighting the entire ocean to reunite with his son. With that, he goes on an adventure unlike any other in which he meets many other creatures in the ocean including a fish called Dory voiced brilliantly by Ellen Degenerates who sufferes from short term memory loss. Marlin in a way relies on Dory even if he doesn't know it.

Then there are the other characters like Bruce The Shark which is clearly a reference and parody of Bruce The Shark from Jaws in which Spielberg named the shark during filming Jaws. A very funny character and isn't the really antagonist. In fact, there isn't really one. The Guy who kidnaps Nemo isn't really a bad guy as he believes he saved Nemo. And really the little girl, Darla isn't a villian because she is little and irresponsible. Although her braces do make her slightly scary, so i'm not surprised they are afraid of her.

Overall, Finding Nemo is a masterpiece of animation. Another film that Pixar puts Quality over Money. I hope Pixar continue to make modern masterpieces as the years go on. Its thumbs up for me.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

A Comedy a lot different and original than most modern comedies released in the 00s decade. This is my review of Dodgeball.

White Goodman is the owner and founder of Globo Gym, and would love nothing more than owning Average Joe's Gymnasium. Peter LaFleur doesn't want to lose his gym to Goodman, but can't find a way to get $50,000 in time. Peter and his gang of gym buddies think of ways to raise money, finally settling on winning a dodgeball tournament. White Goodman retaliates by creating his own dodgeball team to finish off Peter. Peter's team doesn't do too well, until legendary ADAA champ Patches O'Houlihan turns up ready to train them.

What i love about Dodgeball is the fact that its promoting a less known sport which is Dodgeball. The Jokes and comedic element of the film is really good, especially by Ben Stiller. I like Ben Stiller, but everytime i see him, i always think "Prick" in my mind. Vince Vaughn is a great lead and really pushes the film along with great chemistry alongside Christine Taylor. The supporting cast are also funny. There are so many actors to name, but The Average Joe's team are really great.

Gary Cole is also funny as the sports commentator and i love Gary Cole and hope he gets more recognition. The Last Act at the Dodgeball Tournemant is really good and at times moving.

Overall, Dodgeball is slightly underrated, but its great fun and worth seeing if haven't seen already.

Rating - 87% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Titanic: The Legend Goes On

Yes people, this film exists. An Animated Film based Of The James Cameron Mega Grossing Hit in 1997. And Believe me people, of all the stinkers out there in the film world, this one has managed to escape the public eye. But now i hope this gets a few more heads because its a film deserved to be pissed on.

An animated retelling of the worst passenger ship disaster in history. In this version, love blossoms between the upper-class Sir William and the blue-collar Angelica, who is hoping to find romance in America. At the same time, there are also a number of animal passengers, including talking dogs, cats and mice, who are also looking forward to arriving in the New World.

Boy where do i begin with this mess of a film. Firstly, there isn't really a plot. More like a sequence of random events that the director throws together and calls a plot. The Animation is crap, something that could be done on a Windows 98 computer and even not very good for those standards. The Writing is so facepalm and cringe worthy. There is the case of the infamous Rapping Dog which isn't that bad but makes your jaw slightly drop and maybe make you giggle a bit. And yes, the voice acting is bland and pathetic and adds to the crapness of the film.

Overall, its a waste of time and hardly a "so bad its good" film. Stay away from it if you don't want valuable time wasted.

Rating - 9% - D

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Looney Tunes:Back In Action

I went to see this in the cinema and came out with a big smile on my face, that was about 6-7 years ago. Now i have seen it again and this is my review.

Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are up to their feuding ways again. Tired of playing second fiddle to Bugs, Daffy has decided to leave the Studio for good. He is aided by Warner Bros.' humor impaired Vice President of Comedy, Kate Houghton, who releases him from his contract and instructs WB security guard/aspiring stunt man DJ Drake to capture and "escort" Daffy off the studio lot. Suddenly a sidekick without a hero, the duck decides to ally himself with DJ, whether he likes it or not. Consequently, Daffy is on the scene when DJ discovers that his famous movie star father was Damian Drake, known for playing suave international spies onscreen, is actually a suave international spy in real life--and has been kidnapped by the evil insane nerdy, prancing villain known as Mr. Chairman of the equally nefarious Acme Corporation. It seems that Damian knows the whereabouts of the mysterious magical and powerful Blue Monkey Diamond...

Well the first Looney Tunes was good and fortunately, this stands out slightly better. I'll start with the good things. Firstly, the casting of Brenden Fraser is great and he is an actor who is very good, although the place he usually settles best in is Action Films. Then there is Jenna Elfman who i didn't like at first, but now i think she plays the role very well and works well with Fraser. Then there is Steve Martin whose over the top performance as The Acme Chairmen is funny and both brilliant at the same time. Then there are cameos by Joan Cusack, Bill Goldberg, Michael Jordan and many others that are good, oh and not forgetting Timothy Dalton as Fraser's father who reminds me of what a good Bond he really was. Then there are The Looney Tunes themselves. While Space Jam was more Bug's movie, This one is Daffy's. Daffy is the main character and the audience are the ones that follow the story from his perspective.

However there are some problems. The plot is cliche but is enjoyable. Some of the acting is quite stiff at points, but the big flas is that the film can't work itself out. Sometimes it breaks the fourth wall, where as at times, it doesn't. There are some jokes that don't work, but usually the jokes are funny.

I love the use of locations. The Desert, Las Vegas, Warner Bros Studios, Paris & Africa. They fit into the story perfectly and when the transition occurs between one location to the next, it works.

Overall, Funny film that is in a way Underrated. If you haven't seen it Do take a look and heres hoping Warner Bros consider a third film.

Rating - 70% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Lost In Translation

Can Daughter follow the success that his father established ? Well this is her first big film. I have been anticipating this for a while so watching this i had high hopes.

Bob Harris is an American film actor, far past his prime. He visits Tokyo to appear in commercials, and he meets Charlotte, the young wife of a visiting photographer. Bored and weary, Bob and Charlotte make ideal if improbable traveling companions. Charlotte is looking for "her place in life," and Bob is tolerating a mediocre stateside marriage. Both separately and together, they live the experience of the American in Tokyo. Bob and Charlotte suffer both confusion and hilarity due to the cultural and language differences between themselves and the Japanese. As the relationship between Bob and Charlotte deepens, they come to the realization that their visits to Japan, and one another, must soon end. Or must they?

This film has a great atmosphere. You have these two characters who are in Tokyo, but really don't have a clue where they are, as Tokyo is a place completely different from any other place in the world. Bill Murray is alone and in a way, depressed or fed up. His character is in Tokyo for work, but feels no connection nor excitement for the world around him. Scarlett Johansson is also alone and bored as well as lost in a city she knows barely nothing about. She doesn't have any goals in her life, and when these two characters meet, a connection ensures. They go round Tokyo having fun and trying to escape their normal lives. Its a lovely bond that is created through the film in which they learn to appreicate what little life they have in the world.

I think they do well to show Tokyo as a country ahead of everyone else, but i didn't find it alienating that much. Although i would see why the characters would be lost as it is a country as well as a city that people do feel lost at.

Overall, Great film and really a modern classic. Coppola understands characters as well as directing actors. A Film you should check out if you haven't.

Rating - 99% - A