Shutter Island

→ in
Tools    

Scorsese is not a dumbass.

I totally agree! I love Scorsese as a Director, he rocks!

no but it's not only because I love him. He just played the character throughout the movie amazingly, I thought he was very convincing.

Noice review

I'm probably one of the few to make this claim, but I feel that "Shutter Island" is one of Martin Scorcese's greatest films. I was so impressed with everything from the chilling performance of D'Caprio to the eery sound and imagery. There's just something about this movie that really left an impression on me, and it left me clueless as to why it didn't get the recognition it deserved. Perhaps Inception had a hand in it's overshadowing, as it was released around the same time.

I won't spoil anything about the film, so here is a screencap of one of my favorite scenes of all time. Beautifully executed!

It's an insanely well made film, but the story is really, really, really predictable.

Really.

So, props to Marty for holding up his end of the bargain and all, but I think his choice of material was lacking here. It's the kind of story that would've blown people's minds in 1996, but was way too telegraphed for modern audiences.

I don't have a problem with the end being a little telegraphed. I mostly ignored that aspect. I fell in love with it because of how brilliantly executed the film was. The set-pieces, the music, the writing, and the acting were all brilliantly executed. I knew from my initial viewing that a twist was coming, but that didn't have much of an effect on the final product.

I can appreciate that to some degree; it's why I still think Shutter Island is good. But a film heavily based around a twist can't usually be great, to me, if it telegraphs that twist. And I guessed the twist from the trailer, of all things.

But sure, it's an exceptionally well-made film. Kinda feels like Scorsese was having fun with it, or doing it on a dare or something. It almost feels like a proof-of-concept of how much you can get just from superior technical ability alone. Sort of a "watch how I make you nervous even though you know what's going to happen." Big on degree of difficulty, even if the difficulty was self-imposed.

I responded to this thread, but I think I may have been posting right as Yoda merged the threads and it got lost.

Shutter Island is an excellent film overall, but I can't agree about the sound. The score I felt was really obtrusive in some scenes and should have been toned down. Other than that I couldn't find much fault with it. I will say though that the story had some shades of Caligari. Not that much of anything is truly original anymore.

I do agree that these twist-movies are getting to be a bit annoying, but that's why I truly appreciated Shutter Island. It didn't lose sight of what makes a film great. M. Night Shyamalan made an entire career out of twist-movies, and only one out of 10+ was a hit. I feel like Scorcese made this movie more about the theme of guilt rather than an "OMG TWIST!". I give Shutter Island an 8/10, which is a score I rarely give out.

Shutter Island is a great movie and one of my favorite, I have to say though I did not see the ending coming at all, I thought Leo Dicaprio was going to kill himself at the end after killling Ben Kingsley... I was wrong. It is in my top 5 Scorsese films but no way do I think it tops Goodfellas.

Both my wife and I consider Martin Scorsese to be our favorite director. However, we both disliked this film and thought it was boring and predictable. Of course it was well made technically. But when I watch a movie, I want to laugh or cry, or be disturbed or excited, or at least be left thinking about it. This film did absolutely nothing for me.

I'd give the film a rating of
, it's extremely well made, got great performances and I love the cinematography/feel of the whole thing. I don't think the predictability of it particularly spoiled the film for me either.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This film is pretty underrated imo. It's another great film from Scorsese. I love the films' darkness and sense of paranoia,fear and confusion.

Agreed, it's an excellent suspense film. The detail that was put into the script was fantastic, such as
WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
when Teddy's partner fumbles with his holster, because he's not a real officer.
I really enjoyed the ending as well,it made me think about what I would do, and what the real truth is.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Shutter Island, released out on February 2010 and directed by Martin Scorsese, is based on the Dennis Lehane’s novel of the same name.
The leading role belongs to Leonardo Di Caprio (and please, those who didn’t appreciate him in Titanic, don’t be put off by that, it’s an outstanding movie), so is the rest of the cast: we can found great actors like Ben Kingsley or even Mark Ruffalo (Hulk for intimates ;- ) ).

So, concerning the story. It’s a psychological-drama thriller.
The plot takes place in a psychiatric hospital located to an island off the coast of Boston: the mentally deficient patients are very dangerous indeed.
Our main character, the U.S. Marshal Edward "Teddy" Daniels, was sent on the island for investigate about the mysterious disappearance of a patient : Rachel Solando, incarcerated for drowning her three children.
However, during his inquiry, the Marshal will gradually feed doubts against the asylum’s director. He begins believing the medical crew carries out experiments on their patients.
His doubts will be confirmed by Rachel – who has been “found” by some staff – when she explains to the Marshal that she was a psychologist for the asylum, until she discovered, upset, the experiments with psychotropic medication in an attempt to develop mind control techniques.

But appearances are deceptive… and memories devastating.

Now, my opinion: I found this movie very gripping indeed, because it’s only at the very end that we are able to really understand the story.
I’m not saying that all which is before the final denouement is useless: this part of the movie possesses its own coherency.
In fact, you can watch two stories: the first one, where you can make up your own surmises; and the second one, where you understand what it really happened. I think it’s the biggest strength of this movie.
Gripping, full of complex and unexpected rebounds, and even pathetic sometimes, it’s a movie to see.
I hope I bring you round.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I liked the movie alot. Very haunting imagery and excellent atmosphere. Leo was awesome in this role.

One of my tests of a movie with a surprise ending is whether i still like it the second time I see it, knowing how it will end. I think I liked it better the second time. It's my favorite DiCaprio role.

Watched it today.

Pretty good. "Honey, where are the kids?", "They're at school", "It's Saturday", I saw that coming. xD

Also, @Mmmm Donuts (post above) - that's a nice detail. I noticed it at the time but didn't make the link back!

I'd recommend this, sorry for the bump though.