Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Batman V. Superman
-
It's great to see a Batman movie with an interesting visual style and great fight choreography. Immeasurably more enjoyable than the Nolan flicks.
Oh sh*t! I think I might leave the forum for a while to make sure I don't get hit by the tsunami of crap that may be heading your way

Welcome to the human race...
Eh, I can understand it.

Sling Blade -

Good stuff, though I do wonder if it really needed to be over two hours in length.

Once directed by John Carney -

It's rare when a movie so perfectly captures romance and music in a way that isn't sappy and melodramatic. Once does a beautiful job at telling a story about relationships without taking it too far. And the highlight of the entire movie is how brilliantly perfect the soundtrack is. Every song in the film is pieced in at the perfect moment building purely to the story, almost making the movie itself feel like an album. And the music is also amazing to listen to, this soundtrack is definitely something I'll be purchasing. It's very charming, it has a very real sense of life, and that shows through in the how film is presented. I've read quite a bit of the reception for this movie, and I think the disliking of it can be explained simply. The film relies a lot on the music to tell the story, and if you don't like that music, than you won't enjoy it, but if you can get into it, then the characters just sort of build themselves around it. I'm kinda rambling on, but I highly recommend you all check this out if you want something compelling and sweet.
True Story directed by Rupert Goold -

My expectations of this were really high. The concept of the entire thing was really fascinating, and based on a true story no less. But it ultimately fails to do anything interesting, even once. It starts out with some really artistic and compelling visuals, and I got excited. And while Jonah Hill, James Franco, and Felicity Jones all gave good performances, each with a scene to really shine, they do very little to help the movies apparent flaws. Which is mainly it being boring. The pacing is all over the place, never rushing, but not quite dragging. The writing was so-so, and things just kinda happened, I never really cared about what was happening, who it was happening to, or why. The cinematography is clean, a very David Fincher-esqe look, but that fails to help it in anyway, as it starts to feel like a shorter, less interesting, Zodiac.
Midnight Special directed by Jeff Nichols -

This movie isn't going to work for everyone, I will not deny that. Very few questions the film brings up are answered, but that works for me, because the film lives in the moment. It helped that I was interested in the characters, and what the culmination of the film would result in. The visual style of the movie is attractive, very clean looking, and only grand when it needs to be. I was endlessly compelled by the story, and every actor gave a unique and interesting performance. I could see myself watch this again, and my interest in Jeff Nichols continues to grow. I'm having a hard time recommending this to people, because I feel like I'm alone in how well this movie worked for me. I'll say, if you're interested in the movie, I say give it a shot, it might just pay off for you in the same way it did for me.

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

-

This is a really easy watch with a great cast and some strong dialogue. Unfortunately, there was not as much tension or excitement as I had hoped. A good movie, but a bit of a disappointment.

I have to return some videotapes...
Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) -

This film poses a mysterious tone and doesn't answer many questions. At times this style works and the atmosphere is at very heightened levels, but other times your wondering what exactly is happening and the motivations of why they are doing this. All I can say is I like the direction much more than the writing.

Catch Me if You Can (2002) -
++

Great performances by Leo and Hanks, but at times I feel some of the scenes dragging and also pointless. It still is very clever how Spielberg handled the back and forth between Leo and Tom, without making it boring. Very entertaining flick.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) -

This film poses a mysterious tone and doesn't answer many questions. At times this style works and the atmosphere is at very heightened levels, but other times your wondering what exactly is happening and the motivations of why they are doing this. All I can say is I like the direction much more than the writing..
I thought Martha Marcy May Marlene had the potential to be a good movie, but yeah, the story telling kind of fell apart and I hated the ending.

Cloud Atlas -

My kind of weird.
Slightly surprised to see you really dig this. Not a movie I expected you to like to that degree. I would've predicted 2/5 or 2.5/5 at the highest.

Welcome to the human race...
Slightly surprised to see you really dig this. Not a movie I expected you to like to that degree. I would've predicted 2/5 or 2.5/5 at the highest.
I'm just full of surprises.

God's Not Dead 2 (2016)

Even though I'm a Christian myself, I didn't like this movie because it makes us look bad. The movie felt like a big attack on non-believers, and I don't think that is a judgement we should be making. Aside from that, it had a cliched plot, weak acting, and nothing very special. Would not recommend.

Basically, whether in the theatre, or some old movie that you rented or saw on TV, if you've seen it lately, post it here.

BAD TASTE 8/10

Broken Flowers 8/10

this was a bad experience indeed. your score is far good than its actual potential. i would rate 6/10

Batman vs Superman (2016) - 5/10
Sisters (2016) - 4/10

Master of My Domain
[center]
Even though I'm a Christian myself, I didn't like this movie because it makes us look bad.
But sadly, a lot of Christians act like the people who look bad in these Christian movies. We sensible ones are the minority.

Even though I'm a Christian myself, I didn't like this movie because it makes us look bad. The movie felt like a big attack on non-believers, and I don't think that is a judgement we should be making. Aside from that, it had a cliched plot, weak acting, and nothing very special. Would not recommend.
I hate most of these types of movies as well but I'm not sure I agree that they make us look bad. I understand the sentiment, but these films portray us as the very calm and level headed segment of our society. Meanwhile, non-believers are the mustache twisting villains. Whose only goal in life is to make sure Christians suffer. These films most definitely play into the martyr culture of American Christianity, and I despise that mentality.

That's not even going into the fact that they play up the misconception by both sides that God can be proved whether he exists or not. Like God is a flippin science fair project. Another thing I despise.

See what you did? You got me started. Anyway, yeah, terrible movie. Brutal.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(REWATCH) The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
Haven't seen this excellent western since I was a teenager. God damn shame it took so long to revisit this gem directed by John Huston (who also does a cameo as Grizzly Addams) and stars Paul Newman as the crusty, self-appointed judge.

Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956)

Truman (2015)

Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016)

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)

An Affair to Remember (1957)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Martian (2015)

I liked the fact that there was a good amount of optimism in this movie, instead of seeing Matt Damon be "down in the dumps" the whole time. To me, it made the film a whole lot more entertaining to watch. Sure, there was some down moments but they were done in good spots. Matt Damon did a very good job as a lone survivor on Mars. The rest of the supporting cast, which surprisingly had a lot of pretty big names, did alright but of course this was Damon's show. Overall very good and worth a watch. I'm glad that Ridley Scott was able to add another good movie to his filmography; probably his best since Black Hawk Down.