One movie that changed you

Tools    

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
The Lord Of The Rings.

The Fellowship Of The Ring was the first film I ever saw in cinemas and it blew me away. There was so much beauty, so much emotion put into a film basically about a midget travelling to drop a piece of magical jewellery in a volcano.
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES

In addition...

"Edward Scissorhands" changed my life. You're laughing now, but this movie really helped me get through a very hard time in my young life. Edward's sense of wonder, his frailty, his innocence, and his desire to be normal...all of these themes really struck a chord with me. Plus at the time I was only 9 or 10, and the musical and visual tone of the movie really caught my attention.

When I went to the Tim Burton exhibit in L.A., I started to cry when I came upon the Scissorhands gallery. That's how much this movie meant to me. I was overcome with emotion, by the beauty of such a tragic story, and all of the bad memories of those hard times flooded my brain until I felt sense of calmness wash over me, just knowing that this character somehow knew how I felt all those years ago. This movie clearly had an impact on me.

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier
I think Atonement changed the way I look at life. I think this because James Mcavoy's character was educated and a good guy, but he was falsely accused of rape and went to jail and then to war. And through out the whole movie he just wanted to be with the woman he loved but never got the chance. Now I realize that even if you try to be a good person, bad sh**t can happen to you.

Sudoku Blackbelt
Being new here, I don't know anyone. After reading this thread, it seems there is a definite dividing line in age. But that's the same for not just movies, but music, style, darn near everything. Generations.

I thought Jurassic Park was fun and a neat adventure, but for someone younger, it went deeper. That's cool.

Someone wrote Jaws earlier in this thread. That movie changed an entire generation. Whether people liked it, loved it, hated it, it all came down to one thing:

After Jaws, every person alive, when they stepped into the water, had the word 'shark' go through their mind, whether they wanted to or not, the thought was there. That is having an effect on an entire generation.

Heck, I still think 'shark' when I step in the water, and I was 11 when Jaws came out.

Anyway, there have been a lot of movies that have affected me in my lifetime. I'll share two of them here.

The first is Dances With Wolves. Particularly the part where they go on the buffalo hunt, and come over a ridge and all these buffalo slaughtered just for their tongues and hides.

It really hits home, the sadness and futility and anger and pain these indians feel. They hold buffalo sacred, a part of their way of life. They respect and revere them, and give thanks for them in song and rituals.

And when they crest that ridge, it's on their faces, the hopelessness of their situation. White men are coming, and they can't stop it.

Also, the embarrassement Kevin Costner's character feels, know it's white men who did such a thing.

The second movie is a smaller movie, call In Country. It's a post Viet Nam flick, set in, I believe, 1981 or 82.

The central character is a small town young girl who's father died in Viet Nam before she was born. She decides she want to know about him.

She talks to the father's folks, her mom, etc, but mostly,they seem confused themselves about that whole time in their lives.

She asks the Vets in town, all of whom, naturally, don't give up much info. They're still fighting their own wars.

The real star of this picture, though, is Bruce Willis. I don't know how he never got nominated for an Oscar for this. You forget he is Bruce Willis, and believe he is this Viet Nam Vet he's portraying, baggage and all. It's Willis' finest hour, in my opinion.

I won't spoil this for anyone who might want to see it, but the last 1/2 hour of this movie is so emotion for 3 characters that I come away drained every time I see it. And heck, I even know what's gonna happen.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977).

In the summer w/ first girlfriend--even saw some of the movie...

I wouldn't say it necessarily CHANGED me, but it made me view the world differently. I guess that's kind of changed though, isn't it?

It's about a man who thinks his whole life is a movie. He believes that there is an audience watching him. He believes his goal is to capture the "love interests" attention and stop the "mysterious charecter" from doing evil!! It's a really good film. I definately reccomend it.