Inglourious Basterds

→ in
Tools    

Inglourious Basterds
Quentin Tarantino, 2009

One of the little things I did have a problem with, though, is that the soundtrack seemed like a bad attempt at copying Ennio Morricone. I know that Tarantino wanted to make this seem like a spaghetti western, but trying to copy Morricone’s score for the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly just didn’t work. I wish that Ennio Morricone would’ve came on and did the score, but he didn’t, so don’t try using a score that sounds incredibly similar to it.

It sounded similar because it was Morricone. Tarantino, i think, almost always uses source music in his films- this was no different

It sounded similar because it was Morricone. Tarantino, i think, almost always uses source music in his films- this was no different
Oh, I read somewhere that Morricone decided to do another film instead of this.

Ive been holding out on this one to see some opinions. It disappoints me to hear that the characters are not developed. A trademark I look for in any film, especially a Tarantino film, is great characters. Ive always seen Tarantino's writing as his forte. His ability to create unforgettable scenes, almost entirely with dialogue, is incredible. Scenes you cant forget. Like the Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken execution scene in True Romance or the diner scene in Pulp Fiction.

Can you say there is a unforgettable scene in this movie? Ive been wanting him to do something that could rival his work of the early '90's but Ive continued to be a little disappointed. Dont get me wrong, his films are always entertaining. But Im like some of you, asking the question: Can he bring us another masterpiece? And another question I would like to hear some answers to is: Do you think he lacks structure when it comes to bringing some of his ideas to life? Most out there, as do I, believe he has streaks of genuis. And I wonder if fame has caused him to get a little too loose and undisciplined in some of his projects. IMO, I would like to see him do the writing and pair with a Tony Scott or Ridley Scott or Steven Soderbergh or P.T. Anderson or Sam Mendes, etc. etc.

Oh, I read somewhere that Morricone decided to do another film instead of this.
It's old Morricone songs from other movies , as well as many other movies - I'm sure the old film veterans could play spot the song throughout : I thought Tarantino picked the most badass Morricone songs ever though.

The film is a fantastical, violent spin-off of World War II and not your typical war film. Directed by Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds plows into a long-bubbling revenge plot with adaptations of countless genre traditions, but only completely hits upon its tonal balance about midway through then just speeds off.

In fact, the film is surprising, screwy, bracing, daring and too clever for its own good. The motion picture is an entirely unique piece. There are many violent scenes and Brad Pitt as an Inglourious Basterd assures strong marketable prospects, especially to the global audience.
Movie viewers might get confused with the film as it is divided into five parts or chapters, if you want to call it. While World War II has maybe inspired as much invention as any other sole theme in film history, the movie is just one of those to have that distorted history to a certain degree.

The film revolves around an alternate history of the Second World War in which the complete set of Nazi German leadership features Hitler, Bormann, Goering, and Goebbels all attend a big screen premiere in Paris reveling in the accomplishments of a German sniper who had managed to kill 250 American soldiers in Italy. The film’s time frame is set in early June 1944.

Tarantino carefully illustrates the story from the very beginning. And then he fine-tunes it until the very end resulting in scenes that are in the grand tradition of World War II storyline. Believe it or not, the scenes are actually mostly shot at Babelsberg Studio outside Berlin.

Saw Inglourious Basterds on Saturday. I adored Kill Bill, but I think Tarantino actually might have managed to match it with this effort. Great film; I'm going to try very hard to see it again this week.

The review, by the way, was especially fun to write. I really enjoyed putting this one together. Here's an excerpt, with a link to the rest:

Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious Basterds is like a Christmas tree, with each scene existing only to be decorated. Tarantino hangs visual ornaments everywhere, and each bauble is shinier than the last ...READ MORE

Inglourious Basterds
So Tarantino’s appointed masterpiece arrives. Quite a claim, with his back catalogue, Pulp Fiction- even though it’s not my favourite film of his- is hard to top and I personally don’t think he ever will considering the pedestool it’s sitting on. So is Basterds all that?

It’s not a bad film, as always with hi flicks- the soundtrack is the strongest part with some excellent use of Morricone giving it a spaghetti flavour, which is about the extent of his claim to it sitting anywhere in a spaghetti genre go. Aside from the opening ‘once upon a time in… nazi occupied France’ which, while not as catchy would have been a more apt title. The film’s biggest problem are the lack of focus and general uneveness of it. There’s never really any characters amongst the Basterds, half of them get a name drop, one gets a backstory but mostly they’re just faces. And as the misleading title goes, they’re only one half of the film; the other belongs to a cinema owning Jewish refugee with a similar plot to the Basterds. The two strands of characters never interact with each other and flitter between each other through the 5 introduced acts and for two relatively simple narrative arches that eventually kind of intertwine, it’s shouldn’t have been too hard to make both solid.

One manages it but there’s only one to two primary characters, the Basterds on the other hand are far too much for Tarantino to develop. Why? Because he still has his infatuation with drawn out dialogue, he’s dropped the painful referential-ness of Death Proof and introduced some decent tension in these scenes, in both main cases taking almost literally the Hitchcock bomb-under-the-table approach. That being said, the film does redeem itself. Pitt is fantastic, I actually hope he gets an Oscar nod along with the lead Nazi dubbed Jew-Hunter. The cinematography and sets are all well rendered and appealing and the direction is pretty competent, nothing that’s really suggestive of a genius behind the camera, which most know Tarantino isn’t already. The script is where his talent is meant to lie and despite mentioned issues, it all comes together nicely. It does find itself becoming uneven where it can’t be certain if it’s straightfaced or pure farce. Mike Myers cameo-ing as in English Lieutenant? It works but definitely an odd choice. And there were some genuine belly laughs at certain bits.

Tarantino’s masterpiece? Short answer, no. I’m glad Tarantino’s getting a regular output instead of coasting on past work with 5 year gaps between films and he’s got the ideas but he’s not got the modesty to adjust his scripts to operate at a tolerable pace. It’s not a bad film but it’s not a great film, I said before I doubt anything will touch what he did in the 90s so I don’t think it’s a miss-step in his career, more a signal of him levelling off as a filmmaker. Average film, still retains an art-house niche that I can imagine regular cinema-goers will find themselves fidgetting through. Looking forward to seeing reaction from his obsessors. Other than that, it’s a fun retelling of history with some great performances but could do with some editing here and there.
An interesting, balanced, and apparently well thought-out review. I enjoyed reading it.

Inglorious Basterds
Once Upon A Time....In Nazi Occupied France opens the film in the first chapter (a signature Tarantino style) of this WWII film in which Jewish American soldiers, who've deemed themselves "The Basterds", ambush and scalp Nazi's. . . .
A well-written thoughtful review. But I got a question I wish someone would answer--does the movie ever explain why this elite group misspells "bastard"? I understand the title Inglorious Bastards was already taken by another earlier film, but do they ever acknowledge the misspelling in the plot?

Jews scalping Nazis??? Hmm, maybe the American Indians really are the Lost Tribe of Israel as some people have claimed down through the ages. I've heard of Marines in the Pacific who had strings of ears and pockets-ful of gold teeth taken from Japanese bodies, but scalping is something new. Sounds cumbersome compared with other atrocities. Do they ever say why they do it in the film? Just curious.

As for "the Jewish girl posing as a French woman," the state of "Jewishness" is a culture centered around a certain religion, while "French" is a nationality. There were then and are now Jews of French nationality. A person can be a member of both groups. On the other hand, maybe the reference is to a girl posing as a woman, a generational difference. Just teasing a little--not trying to flame you.

There are countless war films that are plagued with people already knowing the outcome. Valkyrie is an example of a film that the audience knew how it was going to end. This one throws it all out the window.
What? Tarantino let's the Nazis win the war? Now that would be different.

The film revolves around an alternate history of the Second World War in which the complete set of Nazi German leadership features Hitler, Bormann, Goering, and Goebbels all attend a big screen premiere in Paris reveling in the accomplishments of a German sniper who had managed to kill 250 American soldiers in Italy. The film’s time frame is set in early June 1944.
Well, that's an alternative history for sure. In real life, the Fuhrer only came to Paris once, for the official surrender of France to the Nazis. He then viewed from afar the Eiffel Tower, watched part of a German victory parade, and flew back to Berlin. As I recall, he was in the city less than 24 hours, and that was very early in the war, before the US became involved I think.

I gotta ask, however: Even in an alternative history movie, why would the Nazis premiere a propaganda film in Paris? All of the big grand Nazi films like Triumph of the Will were premiered in Berlin among all the Nazi party chiefs. I can't see even the Vichy French lining up in Paris to watch a film about a Nazi sniper--not when some underground Free French soldier might roll a bomb down the aisle.

Good review, by the way. Got a little more insight into the film from it.

... But I got a question I wish someone would answer--does the movie ever explain why this elite group misspells "bastard"? I understand the title Inglorious Bastards was already taken by another earlier film, but do they ever acknowledge the misspelling in the plot?
I've not seen the film, but I don't think they do. I have heard Taratino say that it's just a in-joke, a private joke if you will. Not sure if it's just for him, some friends or something that happened on-set, but that's the reason I've heard him give. It did start out with the original spelling though, the change came at the end/after filming, I think. I'm sure someone will pick me up on that if it's wrong.

Of course, I'm sure that it's a lot easier to advertise "Inglorious Basterds" than it is "Inglorious Bastards" in the english speaking (most profitable) world, especially for its dvd release(s) which is probably where most Hollywood films make huge profits. How difficult would it be to get the film stocked in rental/retail outlets? Especially in the States? Before Kill Bill, I don't think I'd have thought this way about a Tarantino film, but no one can tell me that wasn't about making maximum profits.

Jews scalping Nazis??? Hmm, maybe the American Indians really are the Lost Tribe of Israel as some people have claimed down through the ages. I've heard of Marines in the Pacific who had strings of ears and pockets-ful of gold teeth taken from Japanese bodies, but scalping is something new. Sounds cumbersome compared with other atrocities. Do they ever say why they do it in the film? Just curious.
I'd guess they do it because it's more graphic and, therefore, creates more fear. I think most people would rather lose an ear or finger rather than be scalped. Also, don't forget that this isn't a historic film. Tarantino has said that he's made no allowances for history at all in this film. It's set during WWII, there's Allies and Nazis, other than that, the gloves are off when it comes to history.

Apparently....

Originally Posted by IMDB
When asked about the misspelled title, director Quentin Tarantino gave the following answer: "Here's the thing. I'm never going to explain that. You do an artistic flourish like that, and to explain it would just take the piss out of it and invalidate the whole stroke in the first place."

Ah, I see you've posted again and have gotten the idea that history isn't Tarantino's main concern here. And yes, Hitler visited Paris only once, in 1940 after the French surrender and the evacuation at Dunkirk, where the British/Canadian/French forces were driven out.

Saw Inglourious Basterds on Saturday. I adored Kill Bill, but I think Tarantino actually might have managed to match it with this effort. Great film; I'm going to try very hard to see it again this week.

The review, by the way, was especially fun to write. I really enjoyed putting this one together. Here's an excerpt, with a link to the rest:
As always, a very informative and fun-to-read review, Yoda, especially since you're the first in this forum to refer to Pitt's accent, which Joanne Kaufman in the WSJ review called an "artificially heavy corn-pone accent [that] suggests a road-company production of 'Li'l Abner.'"

I haven't seen the film, but from what I've seen of Pitt in the TV ads, he reminds me a lot of Larry Hagman as Col. Clarence E. Pitts in The Eagle Has Landed (another piece of alternative WWII fiction) with the 1940s-look of a Clark Gable wannabe.

Whatever it's worth, just to bounce it off the reviewers in this forum, Kaufman said the film is "irredeemably silly, if never, never dull." She also said of the film, "Whether it's parody, farce, or a fever dream is anyone's guess." She describes it as "self-indulgent" and "emotionally unmoored."

I have heard Taratino say that it's just a in-joke, a private joke if you will. Not sure if it's just for him, some friends or something that happened on-set, but that's the reason I've heard him give. It did start out with the original spelling though, the change came at the end/after filming, I think. I'm sure someone will pick me up on that if it's wrong.

Of course, I'm sure that it's a lot easier to advertise "Inglorious Basterds" than it is "Inglorious Bastards" in the english speaking (most profitable) world, especially for its dvd release(s) which is probably where most Hollywood films make huge profits. How difficult would it be to get the film stocked in rental/retail outlets? Especially in the States? Before Kill Bill, I don't think I'd have thought this way about a Tarantino film, but no one can tell me that wasn't about making maximum profits.
Good reasoning. Yet Angelica Huston directed Bastard Out of Carolina in 1996 and that has been in the rental/retail outlets. There also was a lesser-known film, One Tough Bastard, released that same year.

The real reason Taratino didn't use "Bastard" was because there already was an Italian WWII film called The Inglorious Bastards made in 1978. I read reports of that before Taratino's film came out but never heard his explanation--or lack of explanation--of his spelling. But if one is already ignoring history, why not ignore spelling, too. Oh well, I'm just glad he mispelled it with an "e" instead of a "u".

But Tarantino already knew about the original film, it's an exploitation classic. It's the reason his film has the title and is set in WWII, has a group called The Bastards, etc.

But Tarantino already knew about the original film, it's an exploitation classic. It's the reason his film has the title and is set in WWII, has a group called The Bastards, etc.
Judging from the fact that early references by Tarantino and others to the film when it was in the planning and perhaps early filming stages had it entitled The Inglorious Bastards makes me suspect that he may not have been aware at that time of the 1978 film. I know I had never heard of it (but then there's probably lots of films I've never heard of, especially those shot in countries where English is not a native language). I suspect he changed the spelling simply to keep from running afoul of copyright laws and simply mispelled Basterds rather than come up with another title.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure at one point he was quite happy to describe the film as a remake
Has anyone actually seen both films? Are they anything alike?

Semper Fooey
Tarantino has recently declared the very obscure Paratroop Command as a great war film and its director, William Whitney, as one of his favorite directors. Is he putting us on?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This is my best explanation.

As for "the Jewish girl posing as a French woman," the state of "Jewishness" is a culture centered around a certain religion, while "French" is a nationality. There were then and are now Jews of French nationality. A person can be a member of both groups. On the other hand, maybe the reference is to a girl posing as a woman, a generational difference. Just teasing a little--not trying to flame you.
Yes, I'm aware one pertains to a religion while the other a nationality and the wording probably came out wrong. But from what I got from the film, one viewing, is that she is in hiding in France pretending to be a theatre owner. Hiding the fact that she is Jewish, that's what I got from it.

She could have been French the whole time, I do not know. I'll need to re-watch the first scene again to know for sure.

Check it out, would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Suspect's Reviews