The Little Mermaid (2023)

Tools    

Shhh nobody tell Disney but they had a Little Mermaid animated series where they had a black mermaid named Gabriella. lol they even cast a white dude as Prince Eric in their movie, guess black dudes can't be princes. Not only was Gabriella not good enough for her own story Ariel now a race swapped black mermaid isn't good enough unless she marries a white prince. Progressive racism makes me giggle.

The human world is 'other' so it makes sense that they'd keep Eric white. Besides, the prince is really just eye-candy.

I assume the film is going to turn it into an allegory, with the 'human' world representing white privilege- or if not, I can see people drawing parallels.

The only 'live action' remake I'm looling forward to is The Hunchback of Notre Dame, seeing as the source material is dark. The whole concept of 'live action' remakes when plenty of the characters are magical/talking and singing animals is laughable and a depressing pandering to young audiences by making everything CGI- even though CGI often dates horribly.

The fallout over the black mermaid is ridiculous.

So...I guess this isn't the point where we can all start collectively laughing at those who can't deal with ' woke' casting?

Oh, well, I'm still fine laughing at it.

So...I guess this isn't the point where we can all start collectively laughing at those who can't deal with ' woke' casting?

Oh, well, I'm still fine laughing at it.
Are you saying we shouldn’t take seriously the complaints from the biggest babies on the internet who lose their shit every single time a minority gets cast in a movie?

As I expected, the reviews start fine then lower to the tenth that meets the bare minimum for a fresh score on RT. I'd be surprised if it went under 60%, considering that the critics are apparently finding "something" to like about modern Disney remakes. :P

on IMDB they gave it 7.0/10 and metascore 59 i hate the remakes i always loved the originals but this one is okay loved halle bailey and melissa mcarthy and javier bardem
In a shocking twist...a giant corporation is hiding negative reviews and ballot stuffing aggregate sites.

Top Critics - 47%
All Audience - 48%

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5971474...?ref_=tt_ov_rt

It's easy to get good reviews when you cherry pick the ones you don't like.

I saw this today and loved it. Halle Bailey is fantastic as Ariel and Melissa McCarthy is a lot of fun as Ursula. I enjoyed the songs and the movie looks wonderful. One of the best films of the year so far.

I don't really like live-action adaption of disney movie. Prefer the animated version and hope they create sequels to them rather than a new live action version.