The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

This is a movie I have voted for on the MoFo 1950s list and the Top 100 Foreign Films. It made neither. I believe maybe only one other MoFo voted for it on their '50s ballot. But I'll try one last time to rally the troops here as a War Flick...

Kon Ichikawa's 野火 - Fires on the Plain (1959) is one of the most brutal and haunting war films ever made. Set in the Philippines in the closing days of WWII as the island is being liberated by U.S. forces, we follow one Japanese soldier, weak and dying from TB, who is left behind and ordered to commit suicide. He can't do it, and so wanders through the Hellscape of that war and its aftermath. It's practically a horror movie as the desperation and death are palpable. It doesn't have the kind of brand name recognition that other Japanese cinema from this period enjoys today, but it is a must-see. Mizoguchi, Kobayashi, Ozu, and of course Kurosawa all made the countdown, but no room for Kon Ichiwa? This is my favorite of his, but also check out The Burmese Harp (1956), another movie about the closing days of the war and some of its horrors though seen through a soldier who becomes a Buddhist monk. Both are part of The Criterion Collection.

Here is the entire movie, a great print, subtitled and free on YouTube...

Fires on the Plain was also remade in 2015 by Shinya Tsukamoto.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Here's a recommendation for everyone. I'm keeping most of the war movies I'm watching secret for now, but I found a rare classic on YouTube I think the people should see: Trial on the Road, a Russian film originally released in 1971 and banned from Russia for over a decade.

Here's a recommendation for everyone. I'm keeping most of the war movies I'm watching secret for now, but I found a rare classic on YouTube I think the people should see: Trial on the Road, a Russian film originally released in 1971 and banned from Russia for over a decade.
Sounds very good, I put it on my watchlist.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

This is a movie I have voted for on the MoFo 1950s list and the Top 100 Foreign Films. It made neither. I believe maybe only one other MoFo voted for it on their '50s ballot. But I'll try one last time to rally the troops here as a War Flick...

Here is the entire movie, a great print, subtitled and free on YouTube...

Fires on the Plain was also remade in 2015 by Shinya Tsukamoto.
I saw this for the first time this year. Definitely a great one

I'm so smart.

I thought that seemed quick but I decided to just press ahead without thinking of checking anything.

Welcome to forums. Want some coffee?

OneTwo month(s) left!

On this subject, I've been keeping the possibility of another extension due to Oppenheimer's release in mind. We don't have to, but if anyone wants to potentially add Oppenheimer to their list, I wouldn't blame them. The biggest reason for the original extension was the longer films like Shoah and Dances With Wolves, as well as to finish the War and Peace series. I'm aware that 4.5 - 5 months feels a bit extreme, so we don't have to. I don't know about you, but I'm considering going to Oppenheimer on oppenhing day.

I guess I'll start preparing my ballot then.
I should probably watch a war film or two

I'm so smart.

I thought that seemed quick but I decided to just press ahead without thinking of checking anything.
Ah, welcome to the Citizen Rule's way of posting

On this subject, I've been keeping the possibility of another extension due to Oppenheimer's release in mind. We don't have to, but if anyone wants to potentially add Oppenheimer to their list, I wouldn't blame them. The biggest reason for the original extension was the longer films like Shoah and Dances With Wolves, as well as to finish the War and Peace series. I'm aware that 4.5 - 5 months feels a bit extreme, so we don't have to. I don't know about you, but I'm considering going to Oppenheimer on oppenhing day.
How long would it extended it? I don't mind as I'm watching a war film just about every single night. And you know what I haven't even made a dent in them yet.

How long would it extended it? I don't mind as I'm watching a war film just about every single night. And you know what I haven't even made a dent in them yet.

I'm thinking exactly one week into Oppenheimer's run, making the deadline July 28th. I don't expect everyone here to see it, but I don't expect everyone here to watch all the same war movies either. Obviously the exact deadline is up for debate.

You ready? You look ready.
I only got one question: Starship Troopers counts, right?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Not at all. The war deadline is 4.5 months long. There's been 9 countdowns that were longer.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=63339
Oh yeah. We had a couple of them last 6 months. Since so many war movies last so long, 4.5 should be fine. Some of these entries definitely have to be watched in parts. I'm in support of extending it to July 26th. That's exactly 4.5 months to watch the movies and gives the MoFo's another 15 days to watch Oppenheimer.

So if you have plans to watch Oppenheimer, don't submit your ballot just yet!