Best Surprise Endings?

Tools    

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
so i guess u really had to see the film to have any idea about what u were talking about
yep.
"What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you." -Charles Frazier

"I would kill someone in front of their own mama for a ten speed. And if anyone testifies against me I'll gouge their eyes out."

So do you like surprise movie endings? A lot of people would automatically say, "obviously I like surprise endings, who doesnt?" I don't really like surprise endings. Any comments.
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Yo She Bi*ch, lets go.
Many movies with surprize endings usually disappoint IMO. One movie that did not dissapoint would have to be SAW, you sould check that one out. I hope SAW II is as good as the first SAW, but I don't have my hopes up.

-TheButcher

Oh, yes. There will be blood....
doesn't like every m. night symalan movie a a surprise ending? i didn't really see a surprise in Signs. was there even one?

Yo She Bi*ch, lets go.
Originally Posted by xResidentEvil3x
doesn't like every m. night symalan movie a a surprise ending? i didn't really see a surprise in Signs. was there even one?
I wouldn't say their is a surprize ending in Signs. You pretty much catch up and understand what is going on before the movie ends. Atleast thats how it was for me. So too answer your question with my opinion, no.

-TheButcher

i love movies with a twist to them,, there is no fun in a straightfoward plot....it's like a puzzle...you get to guess what happens and to see if you are right at the end....

Signs suprise ending was that aliens with a strong disliking for h20 would invade a planet consisting of 2/3 of the stuff.

yeah, I can't remember what happens at the ending of saw, I just remember the ending was surprising. I finally just saw fight club, and the ending was ok, but I didnt like it that much, thats what got me thinking about movie endings.

Yo She Bi*ch, lets go.
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Signs suprise ending was that aliens with a strong disliking for h20 would invade a planet consisting of 2/3 of the stuff.
LOL, nice. Ever since I seen the movie The Forgotten, I learned that movie twist aren't always a good thing. The Forgotten was a horrible movie in my opinion. Once the conspiracy unfolded, the move went to hell.

-TheButcher

Havn't seen it, thought it looked like it was mixing too much trying to be convincing whodunnit and sci-fi conspiracy. Joke.

A twist is memorable, audience's aren't necessarily meant to enjoy them, and that's the point. The suprise can be refreshing and tends to show film makers creative sides a bit more than the formulaic Hollywood ending or it can just become a cliche (Halloween?).

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Anyone seen " Shattered " with Tom Berenger?
Not the greatest movie but a good twist at the end, I would probably suss it out nowadays, but as a young teenager it surprised me.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I like "good" endings, meaning well-written and well-realized. I don't really care if they involve twists or not, as long as they tell the story well.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think I heard somewhere that even if you have a weak story, the audience would be won over if you wow'ed them in the end. I think I heard that on Adaptation. I personally think that a surprise ending certainly does benefit the movie, but sometimes it doesn't have as big a bang as it should. Saw was pretty good all around, but I don't think the ending was big enough.

Originally Posted by Scud
I think I heard somewhere that even if you have a weak story, the audience would be won over if you wow'ed them in the end. I think I heard that on Adaptation. I personally think that a surprise ending certainly does benefit the movie, but sometimes it doesn't have as big a bang as it should. Saw was pretty good all around, but I don't think the ending was big enough.
Whereas I think Kaufman's Adaptation is brilliant from beginning to end, but if I had to nitpick the ending holds much less for me than the rest of the picture. So...yeah.

"As little as possible."

My favorite movie of all time also has maybe the best twist of all time as well: Chinatown (1974 - Polanski). But again, a twist doesn't make a movie good or bad. Good writing and good filmmaking make the flick.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Whereas I think Kaufman's Adaptation is brilliant from beginning to end, but if I had to nitpick the ending holds much less for me than the rest of the picture. So...yeah.
I didn't mention anything about the ending of Adaptation, I brought up the movie because of a quote that I remembered about endings in scripts. I think it was from when the main character attended the screenplay writing workshop... I apologize if I gave the wrong impression with my post.

Secret Window had to of had the crapiest twist ending (in my opinion). Then Hide and Seek goes and mocks this crappy twist!

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Oh my goodness Secret Window wanted to be clever and thilling but in trying too hard, lost it's way and became crap. It was unconvincing and obvious and it wasnt a surprise ending because you could see it coming a mile off.

I personally hate surprises. I like to be able to watch the film and try and work it out on my own. I say work it out on my own, meaning I actually want to be able to sit and think 'wow that happens but then it would mean that this and this happens.' Trying to piece it together, sometimes coming out with the wrong conclusions but at least coming up with something. Films where the ending is as clear as a piece of glass rarely interest me.

I was truly gripped by the surprise in Identity and Fight Club because I became really involved in the plot by the well written script and suspense filled scenes.

Originally Posted by Scud
I didn't mention anything about the ending of Adaptation, I brought up the movie because of a quote that I remembered about endings in scripts. I think it was from when the main character attended the screenplay writing workshop... I apologize if I gave the wrong impression with my post.
Ah, I see. That. Well, yes, I'm sure McKee does offer such advice. But as should have been clear, Kaufman was very much making fun of McKee's Story and all such supposed quick fixes and rules for screenwriting.

What about The Others. That wasn't that bad as a twist ending. The movie was overall ok, as well for the twist.